PDA

View Full Version : Made my own holsters

luvthegun
02-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Made a couple more holsters. Any advice or thoughts?

918917Made one for my wifes bersa thunder 380. And one for my pro 9 UC. Both made from 7oz cowhide. This is my first ever holsters.

R.Ph. 380
02-13-2011, 05:45 PM
That's a good skill to have. Nice work and PURDY colors too.

Bill

Reginald Carstairs
02-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Looking good, I wish I knew how to do that.

luvthegun
02-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words. They ride high and feel great. I was carrying in a JIT beltslide that I adjusted to fit. But didn't like the way it sat. Thus making my own.

I really enjoy making them and will be ordering more tools to make them look better. I got lots of ideas.

Heimdhal
02-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Looks nice!

Bronson
02-14-2011, 02:00 AM
Looking good. You're hooked now...no use in fightin' it.

Bronson

luvthegun
02-14-2011, 04:07 AM
Thanks Bronson, I'm not going to fight it. I'm going to embrace it. Its funny. I'll have 20 holsters for the same gun.

Eliminator
02-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Great looking holsters. I love the smell of leather.

BersaVT
02-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Nice looking holsters.
I have a complete set of tools for leatherworking from Tandy, it's expensive to get set up I think I paid nearly $400 for the setup I have but it does help with the final projects. I have never built a holster for my BT380 but here is the custom holster I built for my Ruger Old Army - and yes this was my first holster as well.

luvthegun
02-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Looks good. How long have you been working with leather? I just made 3 more today. The hard part for me is dying. I try a different way when I make my mag holder.

MoMan
02-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks Bronson, I'm not going to fight it. I'm going to embrace it. Its funny. I'll have 20 holsters for the same gun.
WOW!! Nice job!! That's a real talent!
As for the 20 holsters and only one gun.... I'm sure that will change, they just seem to multiply!

David
02-19-2011, 09:02 PM
luvthegun, I just sent you a PM. Check it out!

Michael T
02-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Look out Nate their another holster maker here . Your going to be in trouble . Better cancel the order for you new MB and Lear Jet He does tactical pink ones Where your's !!!

BersaVT
02-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Looks good. How long have you been working with leather? I just made 3 more today. The hard part for me is dying. I try a different way when I make my mag holder.

While this was my first holster attempt I have been dabbling in leather-working for about 20 years, mostly pouches and belts for a medieval recreation society I belong to as well as the odd wallet and such for day to day use. I taught myself the skills after watching other leather-workers do some. I like using spirit dye as opposed to water based dyes and simply use swabs to mop it on but I do it with the leather damp, it seems to coat better. I went for a mottled look on the holster on purpose to give it a bit of an old time feel by mixing a custom color and not quite completely mixing it thoroughly then oiling with hand rubbed neetsfoot oil.

luvthegun
02-20-2011, 07:47 AM
BersaVT, you are right. Spent around 300 on tools so far. But I don't care because its fun. My father used to work with leather when I was a kid. I thought it was strange back then. Now I wish he was alive so I could show him that I was doing the same thing he did.

David
02-20-2011, 07:58 AM
BersaVT, you are right. Spent around 300 on tools so far. But I don't care because its fun. My father used to work with leather when I was a kid. I thought it was strange back then. Now I wish he was alive so I could show him that I was doing the same thing he did.

Trust me... he knows, he's watching, and he's smiling with pride.

luvthegun
02-20-2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks David I like to think he knows how much he influenced me. Responded to your pm.

David
02-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks David I like to think he knows how much he influenced me. Responded to your pm.

Just sent ya an email, my friend. I just can't say enough how much I like your work.

luvthegun
02-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Well I made an IWB holster. I tried crossbreed and a desantis. And I didn't like them at all. Mine is noexception. Just don't likw IWB holsters. But here is my attempt.

David
02-23-2011, 08:02 PM
luvthegun, you really do good work!

luvthegun
02-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks David. I think I will rework this one to get it to ride lower. Learned something on every holster I made so far. It a lot of fun learning on your own.

mitchr
02-23-2011, 10:05 PM
"Just don't likw IWB holsters."

I don't see how ANYONE likes carrying IWB!

David
02-23-2011, 10:07 PM
I don't necessarily LIKE it, but it doesn't bother me. And my IWB for my Taurus is kydex.

luvthegun
02-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Here is a pic of the lower riding IWB. Not to bad. Don't like IWB though.

So I really like doing leather work. And now I am wondering if you guys think I'm up to snuff. On a scale of 1 to 10 how much more improvement do I need to try to someday make some money at this? But honest. Really want to know where I stand. Would it be worth while to persue it for some pocket money. Or are my skills not as good as I thought.

And do you fellow Bersa owners think that there is room for me in this market. Everyones input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

luvthegun
02-25-2011, 04:03 AM
One more question. Whcih blue gun should I buy first? Which is to say. What gun has a large demand for holsters? And what type holster would you recomend me concentrate on? Feel free to pm me with advice or any input. If you don't want to post it here. Thanks again my freinds.

mitchr
02-25-2011, 09:40 AM
One more question. Whcih blue gun should I buy first? Which is to say. What gun has a large demand for holsters? And what type holster would you recomend me concentrate on? Feel free to pm me with advice or any input. If you don't want to post it here. Thanks again my freinds.

Just a guess, but I'd say a 1911. It is a universal shape so will be good for all 1911s regardless of brand. Could get the full size, then just shorten the holster pattern for the commander size because they use the same frame dimensions on grip, trigger guard, etc. Of course, if you go to holster manufacturers' websites, you'll find that everyone of them make holsters for 1911s, so you'll have a lot of competition. Otherwise, research the different websites & look for pistol brands that are not covered by all of them. Maybe find a 'niche' among other pistol platforms where owners are having to "make do" because no one makes them for their pistol.

luvthegun
02-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Thats a good idea. I know when I had a CZ 82 nobody made holsters for it and it is a popular gun. I'll just have to buy one for 189.00 At least I have a C&R license.

luvthegun
02-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Here is one more. I am very happy with this. Except the dye. Have been trying to use an eco friendly dye. Hard to apply evenly. Will be getting different dye today. And will be getting more leather so I can make more holsters. Also going to make some mag holsters.

The idea for this holster is you can choose if you want retention or not. When I have a jacket on I do not want retention. But if I'm in a store and my jacket comes off I do want retention. With this one just unsnap and rotate strap up and snap in place. Love it

David
02-26-2011, 07:30 AM
Here is one more. I am very happy with this. Except the dye. Have been trying to use an eco friendly dye. Hard to apply evenly. Will be getting different dye today. And will be getting more leather so I can make more holsters. Also going to make some mag holsters.

The idea for this holster is you can choose if you want retention or not. When I have a jacket on I do not want retention. But if I'm in a store and my jacket comes off I do want retention. With this one just unsnap and rotate strap up and snap in place. Love it

Its not on a belt?

luvthegun
02-26-2011, 07:54 AM
It is on a belt. The retention is snapped on the front and back. So you can unsnap the front in reinstall strap over pistol or in front of pistol. Over pistol it is locked in place until you unsnap it. In front you can draw from the holster and the strap is not in the way. The first pic shows the strap to the front of the pistol. The second pic shows it strapped over the pistol.

luvthegun
02-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Well here it is. Love the way this turned out. I was trying to use a water based dye. Forget about it. Now alchohol based. Much better. Same model as the last one just much better. What do you think?

David
02-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Well here it is. Love the way this turned out. I was trying to use a water based dye. Forget about it. Now alchohol based. Much better. Same model as the last one just much better. What do you think?

If that didn't have a strap, would it stay in the holster due to the molding?

Liveneasy
02-27-2011, 04:46 PM
If that didn't have a strap, would it stay in the holster due to the molding?

I don't put straps on the ones that I make... with that said, the molding does help with retention but so does the curvature of the holster around the body. Pancake style holsters are known for that. I typically make my .380 holsters out of lighter weight leather for just that reason.... of course you do need to take extra care if your dropping your pants to use the toilet.

bersatoter
02-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Well I made an IWB holster. I tried crossbreed and a desantis. And I didn't like them at all. Mine is noexception. Just don't likw IWB holsters. But here is my attempt.

It looks pretty good. Do you do leatherwork?

luvthegun
02-27-2011, 05:50 PM
David, yes it will stay in without the strap. Can make it without the strap. This was just an idea I had. The last pics the strap unsnaps on both sides. So it can be removed instead of just lowering it.

And before 2/17/11 I never touched leather. But I love working with it. Going to buy a PF9 and make a holster for that soon.

Bronson
02-28-2011, 03:41 AM
What are you using to make your stitch holes? They look huge in the pics. It was one of the major critiques of my holsters from the folks at leatherworker.net before I started saddle stitching with a diamond shaped awl. Before that I was using the diamond punches from Tandy...which do leave huge holes. Take a look at this guy's holsters http://www.ccw-holsters.com/Paddle_holster.html. The stitch holes are massive. IMO you don't want that. In comparison look at the hand stitching on this holster from Adam's Holsters http://lh5.ggpht.com/_-IBzbM_RoeE/TGTMBK8UHbI/AAAAAAAAC_Y/g1VNv1rsDSg/s1600-h/DSCF1316%5B4%5D.jpg. Tight and clean just like it should be.

If you don't have it yet you should pick up Al Stohlman's book "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather." (http://www.amazon.com/Art-Hand-Sewing-Leather/dp/1892214911)

Bronson

luvthegun
02-28-2011, 03:53 AM
Just using the sewing awl. Thats the size hole it leaves. Not sure how to make the holes any smaller than that. I will check out those limks thow thanks.

luvthegun
02-28-2011, 03:58 AM
Just looked at the links. Wow the first one the holes are big. At first I was using a punch not sure the size but I thought it looked bad with the big holes.
So Bronson yes you were right the first cople I made were huge. The last couple is only as big as the needle. And I am doing a lock stitch.

luvthegun
02-28-2011, 03:59 AM
Just looked at the links. Wow the first one the holes are big. At first I was using a punch not sure the size but I thought it looked bad with the big holes.
So Bronson yes you were right the first cople I made were huge. The last couple is only as big as the needle. And I am doing a lock stitch.

David
02-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Going to buy a PF9 and make a holster for that soon.

So, now you're buying guns just to make holsters for them!!! :)

mitchr
02-28-2011, 08:11 AM
So, now you're buying guns just to make holsters for them!!! :)

Some folks will use ANY excuse to get a new pistol! :smile:

luvthegun
02-28-2011, 09:05 AM
No. Been wanting a pf 9 for awhile now. Found one for 150 used. And I bought from this guy before. So its a good gun.

Thinking about a crossdraw for the kel tec. As a backup. Could be fun.

Mason
02-28-2011, 09:26 AM
You need a better belt luvthegun. A good thick, stiff double stitched leather is essential to makeing a good holster fit on your body proper and comfy... Trust me, a proper belt will make all the difference.

luvthegun
02-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Your right. I have a wilderness tactical instructors belt. With the lifting ring and everthing. Its strong. I was wearing a 5.11 cheapo in the pics.

Michael T
02-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Holsters needed are for Bersa . We have several models and still limited holster from the big guys . That what I would make to start Bersa ,Firestorm , holsters. Then I would look at 1911's , kelTec's , khars . and revolvers

luvthegun
02-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Think I need to concentrate on Bersa, Kel Tec and other guns that are not snob guns. I purchased a brand name from the big boys for my cousin's 1911. 80 bucks and the leather was thin 5 oz at best. They don't tell you that on the internet.

Sorry ADD were did that come from

luvthegun
02-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Some folks will use ANY excuse to get a new pistol! :smile:

Do you think that will work for a 1911 lol

Liveneasy
02-28-2011, 12:22 PM
I purchased a brand name from the big boys for my cousin's 1911. 80 bucks and the leather was thin 5 oz at best.

High price, you bet.... but don't discount the lighter weight leather, especially when making a custom one for your own use. Heavy weight leather is good for shape retention, looks and repeated drawing/holstering of a weapon.... but for comfort and everyday carry, where conceal-ability/retention is the key and you may only need to draw it once in a lifetime to save your butt.... I really do prefer the lighter weight leather. Think... 'Body-glove' for your gun as opposed to hard, stiff, 'Work-glove'.

Give it a try... I bet you'll like it.

This ain't the old west and it's not a duty holster that needs to be rigid so it stands up to repeated drawing/holstering. After a draw an shoot situation, the last thing on anyones mind won't be how well you can holster your firearm.

luvthegun
02-28-2011, 12:41 PM
I may try it. But have a hard time with it lasting. As far as holding shape without stretching leather or tearing.

For me I carry everday and use same holster at the range. To practice drawing and holstering. Never leave my gun on the line. It gets holstered and goes with me. For 80 bucks I want to know its still going to be in good shape in a year.

BersaVT
02-28-2011, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE=
This ain't the old west and it's not a duty holster that needs to be rigid so it stands up to repeated drawing/holstering. After a draw an shoot situation, the last thing on anyones mind won't be how well you can holster your firearm.[/QUOTE]

That is funny, on the qualifying line it's amazing how many of the guys I work with are worried about how fast they can re-holster their gun after the required stage is shot. Never in my life heard of anyone that has won a gun battle because of their re-holstering skills.

BersaVT
02-28-2011, 12:49 PM
I may try it. But have a hard time with it lasting. As far as holding shape without stretching leather or tearing.

Try horsehide, lighter and stronger with less stretch.

Liveneasy
02-28-2011, 01:22 PM

That's where molding comes in to play. I've never had one tear on me and the minor amount of stretch I've experienced just makes for a tighter fit as it curves around my body.

For me I carry everyday and use same holster at the range. To practice drawing and holstering. Never leave my gun on the line. It gets holstered and goes with me. For 80 bucks I want to know its still going to be in good shape in a year.

I practice drawing/shooting with my daily carry every time I go to the range.... holstering it isn't part of the drill or something I worry about... like BersaVT says... I watch people at the range holstering their weapons like it's somehow connected to a gun fight.... or it will have some effect on stopping the Bad Guys.

The bottom line here is that you make your own holsters, it's fun, cheap and not all that hard to do. So what if you wear one out in 3-4 years instead of 10 or more. My older holsters are coming up on 3 years now and still have many years left in them... but chances are I'll replace then soon... just because I can.

luvthegun
02-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Didn't want to sound like a crack pot. Holstering isn't part of my drill either. Just saying that I draw and reholster a lot.

When I started doing research people were saying to use 7 to 8 oz leather. I am using 7 oz seems to be the right size for me

And your right it is fun.

Liveneasy
02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
When I started doing research people were saying to use 7 to 8 oz leather. I am using 7 oz seems to be the right size for me

Can't argue with you there.... I got the same info, probably from some of the same sources when I started out. One of my firsts projects was a couple of rough side out pocket holsters... made them from 4-5. When I was done I had some leather left so I made a couple of pancake style holsters out of the same stuff, mostly because it was a long way to the nearest leather supply place. When I picked up some heavier leather I made a few more from the heavy stuff, they look good and are functional... but I really do prefer the lighter weight holster for my daily carry....

So have you started in on stamping or carving yet? Leather work can be addictive. Won't be long before everything you own will have it's own custom made holster, case, belt, matching wallet or cover and family and friends will eventually get tired of getting leather stuff from ya.... Last year I even sent out a couple of leather Birthday cards.

luvthegun
02-28-2011, 05:57 PM
I thought about the basket weave tool. But chickened out. Still trying to get my holsters down. But will try it soon.

It is addictive. I sit around thinking of new designs. And things to improve the ones already made. Was going to make a mag holster. But now I'm buying a PF9. So I will be making one for my new bug.

Bronson
02-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Just using the sewing awl. Thats the size hole it leaves. Not sure how to make the holes any smaller than that. I will check out those limks thow thanks.

One of these? http://www.awlforall.com/merchant2/images/awl.jpg

Here's some info on stitching and braiding. The "double needle stitch", as they call it, is what I learned as a saddle stitch.
http://www.kingsmerecrafts.com/page36.html

http://www.gunfighter.com/cgi-bin/bbs/cowboy-a/cowboy-a.cgi?read=38276

http://www.backroomleather.com/sewingleathertutorial.html

While this is a shoe maker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCzFCZkw8z8)and not a holster maker the technique is pretty much the same. I just use a straight awl instead of a curved awl. This is the method described in Al Stohlman's book. This is probably a better representation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fHYcnrSie8 but you can't really see the technique as well as in the shoe vid but it does show the use of a stitching clam to hold the leather. They are easy to build and quite handy.

I just use a cheap Tandy stitching awl (http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Tools/31218-01.aspx). It needed a bit of sharpening and honing but now it slides right through the leather. There are better awl makers out there that will ship them already honed but I didn't want to drop the $$ at the time.

Bronson

Liveneasy
02-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Here's one I built just for fun. It fits both my Bersa .380 cc and my Bersa .22. I built one in brown and one in black. Both have large belt loop attachments and the black one also includes 'D' rings for use with a cross body strap.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i71/liveneasy/h2.jpghttp://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i71/liveneasy/h1.jpg

Liveneasy
02-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Like Bronson.... I hand stitch using a stitching awl, double needles and a homemade pony.

luvthegun
03-01-2011, 05:59 AM
Bronson; that is the awl I'm using. Thanks for the links. Got a couple tips from them. Gave them a try this morning and worked pretty good. Still like lock stitching over the two needle method. I've seen videos of the two needle method before. What can I say I like lock stitching. Might try the two needle method some day though.

BersaVT
03-01-2011, 06:20 AM
I agree double needle saddle stitch all the way. Makes for a smoother refined stitch line.

Bronson
03-01-2011, 11:11 AM
I agree double needle saddle stitch all the way. Makes for a smoother refined stitch line.

It's also more durable. With a lock stitch if one of the stitches breaks or wears through the stitch line can unravel for a few stitches. While a saddle stitch will remain locked in place if one of the stitches wears through.

Bronson

luvthegun
03-01-2011, 07:08 PM
I had to remove some stitches. Not an easy task. I had to dig an exacto knife under a stitch and cut it. Than dig under the next stitch and try to pull it up. Still not easy. Got a couple out than had to cut it again.

My point is I think the lock stitch is very strong. Isn't the lock stitch what the machines utilize?

BersaVT
03-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Just a comparison.

luvthegun
03-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the pic. And I'm not hard headed or anything. But I took out some stitchs today. And after I cut the stitch it did not move at all. Didn't become unlocked or come apart like the pic showed.

The way I'm looking at it. If the big boys use it and sell there holsters for 80 plus bucks. It has to be a good stitch. Or they would do the saddle stitch. I don't think that either stitch would fail. I've had holsters and never had stitching come out. For that matter never had boots become unstitched before.

That being said. I can now scratch my left ear with my right hand behind my back with all the arm bending going on lol. I will give the saddle stitch a try. Seems like it is easier to do. What size needles will I need?

Bronson
03-02-2011, 02:25 AM
The truth...well at least it's the truth as I see it...is that with the size of the thread that is used in holster making the chances of wearing through the thread are pretty slim. If you do wear through it the holster has probably seen so much abuse it'll need replaced anyway.

As for needle size I just get the standard "stitching" needles from Tandy http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Lacing/1195-033.aspx There are probably better ones out there but these work for me.

Bronson

luvthegun
03-02-2011, 04:14 AM
That I can agree with. Thanks for the link for the needles. The awl that I would need is the one with the diamond shped blade correct.

Wanted to thank evryone for the contributions to my learning this far. Thanks

David
03-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Everyone check this out, please!

http://www.bersachat.com/forums/showthread.php/7487-Holsters-by-luvthegun-...?p=78677#post78677

luvthegun
03-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Just when you thought you were out I pull you back in. lol So here are two of my newer ones
First is a right hand, 20 degree rake cordovan color with leather guard. For the 9UC pro
Second is a lefty , 20 degree rake black also with leather guard. For the 380

I think I'm getting better.

luvthegun
03-29-2011, 08:06 PM
So if you have been reading this thread you heard that I use lock stitching. And others have said saddle stitch is the way to go. I even was told to try thinner leather.

Well I have tried both. Got a shoulder of 4 to 5 oz leather. Have not finished a holster with it yet. But so far I like it. Also tried some saddle stitching. I really like that. Super easy. And quick. And according to others stronger!

So now I would like to give credit were credit is due. Thanks to those (Bronson, Bersavt and others) for their words and experience. You see I do take advice to heart. Even if it took awhile.

David
03-29-2011, 09:34 PM
I still wear the one you made for me last month.... every day.

Michael T
03-29-2011, 09:41 PM
This one looks familiar Is it the Michael T special Iam wearing at present

http://www.bersachat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1134&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1300226933 (http://www.bersachat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1134&d=1300226933)