PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder holster concealment?

Eliminator
11-24-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm in the process of reviewing options. Have not started carrying yet. confession, I'm fat with quite a bit overhanging from the belt already and difficulty keeping the pants up without adding the weight of a hog iron.
Wearing on the belt is most likely not an option that's very viable.
Was wondering if shoulder carry with a jacket is actually concealble enough in real life. Looking for comments and experience.
A jacket in Texas summers would not be fun but better than nothing.

mitchr
11-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Don't know as a lot of folks on here carry in a shoulder harness, but maybe someone will be along to help you. When I took my CHL course, one of the videos was about various ways to conceal. I forget how many pistols the guy had on him, but they covered a nearby table. He had two in a shoulder harness, one on each side, a .44 mag revolver & a full size 1911! With the right get-up, should be easy.

Michael T
11-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Wear suspenders with your belt. A good gun belt is really needed if going to carry a large pistol. Works Wall mart sell kind (perry) that have plastic ends that hook to belt. Lots of us have front porch. I can wear suspenders under a T-shirt and no one know I have them on. .

It really hot weather you can always go to a KelTec in pocket. .

I wear a shoulder now and then When on bike in summer in riding gear Their not all that comfortable and the cheap ones nylon aren't worth bring home .

stidgun
11-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Perhaps fasting is in order?

Michael T
11-24-2010, 11:06 PM
perhaps time out is in order for some people.

Liveneasy
11-25-2010, 09:33 AM
I've got an el cheap-o nylon and a custom built leather.... and they both suck. My 9uc is one sweet gun but it's too darn heavy to carry on a belt for me... especially with a gut and no butt... so I went the shoulder holster route for cooler weather carry of the 9. Even with a well built leather rig it gets uncomfortable pretty darn quick. My daily carry is the 380cc and it doesn't pull my pants down so I pretty much stick with that.

One of my next leather projects will be a modified 'Doc Holiday' rig for my uc 9... I'm hoping that the combination of a belt mounted cross draw holster and shoulder suspension will turn out to be comfortable and keep my pants from falling down.... and it might be adaptable for strong side carry.

As a last resort you might try a fanny pack. Not very fashionable but if you can get past that they can be comfortable. Or there's always the "Man Purse".

mitchr
11-25-2010, 09:45 AM
I've got an el cheap-o nylon and a custom built leather.... and they both suck. My 9uc is one sweet gun but it's too darn heavy to carry on a belt for me... especially with a gut and no butt... so I went the shoulder holster route for cooler weather carry of the 9. Even with a well built leather rig it gets uncomfortable pretty darn quick. My daily carry is the 380cc and it doesn't pull my pants down so I pretty much stick with that.

One of my next leather projects will be a modified 'Doc Holiday' rig for my uc 9... I'm hoping that the combination of a belt mounted cross draw holster and shoulder suspension will turn out to be comfortable and keep my pants from falling down.... and it might be adaptable for strong side carry.

As a last resort you might try a fanny pack. Not very fashionable but if you can get past that they can be comfortable. Or there's always the "Man Purse".

I read a thread somewhere, maybe on another forum, where folks with the same problem were wearing suspenders to keep their belts from sagging & really liked them. Then there are gun belts that are double-layered with a stiffener in between the layers that might help. I have one & with an all steel 1911, I can unbuckle it & even though the pistol will tend to cant outwards away from my body slightly, the belt does not sag.

Eliminator
11-25-2010, 10:15 AM
:-) Meen on a strict diet for 5 weeks now. Lost 14 lbs but a long way to go.
thanks for the advice.

mitchr
11-25-2010, 10:28 AM
thanks for the advice.

Good start! It usually is a little slow at first & slower is actually better. Main thing is don't get discouraged & have a relapse.

Pond Scum
11-25-2010, 12:12 PM
I wore a shoulder holster most of last winter. It was a Masters that I bought from Condor flights. I was able to get both right side and left side holsters so I can carry 2 of my Bersa UC's, either 9 or 45. I like wearing it in the winter. I think it is comfortable to wear, better to drive with than my UBG Striker. Looking forward to getting it back on.

-Pondy

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a417/Pondy-F8S/Holsters/th_Masterswith45UC.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/albums/a417/Pondy-F8S/Holsters/?action=view&current=Masterswith45UC.jpg)

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a417/Pondy-F8S/Holsters/th_MasterswithPairof45UC.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/albums/a417/Pondy-F8S/Holsters/?action=view&current=MasterswithPairof45UC.jpg)

OysterMan
11-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Due to an arthritic shoulder that sometimes makes drawing awkward and painful I decided to shop shoulder holsters for those times. I don't want to spend too much and find I totally hate it, yet going too cheap and not liking it I won't know if it's because it's a shoulder holster or because it's a cheap one.:frown:

Trying to stay middle of the road, I've narrowed it down to the Galco Classic Lite, or Bianchi's Leatherlite or Tuxedo shoulder systems. All can be found for between $70-$80. Waiting for Cyber-Monday before ordering, just in case.:wink:

brian c
11-25-2010, 12:40 PM
I wore a shoulder holster most of last winter. It was a Masters that I bought from Condor flights. I was able to get both right side and left side holsters so I can carry 2 of my Bersa UC's, either 9 or 45. I like wearing it in the winter. I think it is comfortable to wear, better to drive with than my UBG Striker. Looking forward to getting it back on.

-Pondy
i

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a417/Pondy-F8S/Holsters/th_Masterswith45UC.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/albums/a417/Pondy-F8S/Holsters/?action=view&current=Masterswith45UC.jpg)

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a417/Pondy-F8S/Holsters/th_MasterswithPairof45UC.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/albums/a417/Pondy-F8S/Holsters/?action=view&current=MasterswithPairof45UC.jpg)
?
is there no hold down for under the gun....from your holster to the belt? if not what keeps it from flopping ?

Liveneasy
11-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Then there are gun belts that are double-layered with a stiffener in between the layers that might help.

While I'll agree that stiffer is better.... but it doesn't solve the problem, at least not mine. My actual waist goes around my gut so I can't wear a belt there it's too uncomfortable. So I wear it on my hips. The problem with wearing it on the hips is I don't have a butt to help keep the belt (and gun) in position so I need to tighten up on the belt. Fine for the weight of my 380 but the double stack uc 9 means pulling another notch on the belt to support the added weight. That keeps my pants and gun from falling down around my ankles but it's dang uncomfortable and makes my back ache after a couple of hours.

So for me... if I want to carry my 9, it's a modified shoulder holster or suspenders.

And Pondy.... while your shoulder rig looks good, I imagine that by the end of a day carrying double holsters or one holster and a couple double stack mags.... you've got a pretty good idea how large chested women feel at the end of a day. Both of my shoulder rigs have extra wide straps to help distribute the weight across my shoulders but a full day of carry still makes em a bit sore.

mitchr
11-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I don't think I could handle a shoulder rig with any weight on it & maybe the suspenders idea not that good for the same reason if they must provide ALL of the support.

Pond Scum
11-25-2010, 03:02 PM
?
is there no hold down for under the gun....from your holster to the belt? if not what keeps it from flopping ?

Regarding the tie downs .... I don't use them. I tried them but found I didn't like them. I keep the guns from flapping by not jogging! :wink:

-Pondy

NCFlyfisher
11-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Fasting, lol

I tried the should holster rig and even had to use suspenders. I didn't like it though my concealment was perfect, the tie downs helped too. The reach across the slightly slim 12 pack did not agree, lol My comfort zone is OWB/IWB at 5 to 5:30PM position.

Rollin Thunder
11-25-2010, 09:15 PM
This guy has some decent holsters at very good prices.
He has a 1911 holster for 35.00 there's an ankle rig for John and here's a shoulder/suspender rig??
http://www.shado.com/Shoulder-Holsters/View-all-products.html

brian c
11-25-2010, 10:07 PM
thanks for the advice.
ya got to start somewhere and it sounds like you have a good start going for you......good luck and stay focused on your goal!!

Mason
11-25-2010, 11:31 PM
I have one hell of a front porch.. and the best tip I can give you is get a good thick wide belt.. I carry my BT.45UC sometimes IWB other times OWB. . But the secret is the belt..

J_C
11-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Long time ago when I was much younger and much thinner, I wore a Bianchi "upside-down" shoulder holster for a S&W Mod 66 2.5" k-frame revolver. I still have that holster and gun, but now that I'm about twice as old and quite a bit heavier, it's not as comfortable or easy to get to as it used to be.

Good shoulder rigs can cost upwards of $100, though you can find them on sale occasionally.

Good suspenders are a lot cheaper, if you want to try the suspenders+belt route. Check here for some options:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-workwear/mens/mens-belts-mens-suspenders/mens-work-suspenders/mens-work-suspenders.aspx?p_redirect=1&p_keyword=suspenders&processor=content

VSPA
11-26-2010, 10:42 PM
I'd like to be able to go with either the waist carry I use now and possibly a sholder holster later and due to some weight problems, I too have used suspenders off and on for years. Started with the military version to help hold up ammo belts. I've come up with an idea that I think, at least for me, will work with both. Unless I'm outside for just a couple of minutes, my dermatologist has told me to wear long sleeve shirts year round and thats can be a problem here in Vegas, especially in the summer. I got the idea from the old style heavy cotton kahki bush jackets. I took the shirt from my last set of keepsake camouflaged fatigues with the four cargo pockets that I've put various veterans patches on and use for veteran get togathers and found I could use it as an open light weight jacket over both short and/or long sleeve T-shirts. It covers the .380 and the 9mm UC very well and appears that it will do the job with a sholder holster. Now that it's cold, I can put a heavier jacket over it. As I don't want the do the daily "cammy" thing, I found the following site that sell BDUs in several colors, and cammy patterns. As a starter, I got the khaki and the olive drab in the cotton rip stop. I normally wear a large, but went for one size larger to give space for concealment.

http://www.armynavyshop.com/01-fatigues-camouflage-battle-dress-bdu.html

PHMadness
11-27-2010, 12:06 AM
I have one hell of a front porch.. and the best tip I can give you is get a good thick wide belt.. I carry my BT.45UC sometimes IWB other times OWB. . But the secret is the belt..
I have the matching veranda, and yeah, the belt is the key. I had Nate at UBG make me one.

TuxAir
11-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Belt is key for me. Sometimes, depending on what I wear, I also add suspenders that take up some of the weight. I carry with untucked shirts/t-shirts and nobody sees the suspenders. Also, the suspenders do not carry all of the weight. They merely assist the belt and keep my front porch from pushing down my pants. Try a cheap pair from Walmart. They're like 6 bucks. Again... a good gun belt is the key. Best $80 I spent.

diskdoctr
12-03-2010, 07:24 PM
I sometimes carry in a Uncle Mikes shoulder rig. Not bad at all once it is adjusted for your liking. Concealment is not an issue with any type of jacket. I prefer IWB for most days but sometimes it is just not practical. As others have mentioned a good shoulder rig can cost well over 100 bucks, especially if you go leather. They can be heavy and cumbersome as well. Thats why I went nylon. It is all in the fit and getting it right. Good luck

dphipps
12-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Have you looked at Ken Null holsters, he makes good quality holsters, I believe he uses some type of plastic(?) in certain models.
www.klnullholsters.com

seejeepcrawl
12-25-2010, 08:12 PM
I had bought one of those cheap nylon / velcro shoulder holsters. It did have the tie downs, but due to my large size, 6'4" - 285#, it seemed to pull my shoulders down when i fastened the tie downs. I have a couple of shops nearby that carry a lot of holsters and have been looking for one that does not have a thumb break. Has anyone seen one of these?

The guy at the store said that all of the holsters they sell for shoulder systems have the thumb break because the service a lot of LEO's.

Also, is it worth going to gun shows to see what some of the options are for holsters? Or would it be a waste of money?

Thanks for the help.

stoeger9
12-25-2010, 09:18 PM
I have read the thread of 11-24-2010 by Eliminator about concealment holsters. I use a "Deep Concealment Holster" from
Active Pro Gear. Very comfortable and inexpensive at $39.99. I wear mine all day long at the ranch whether I'm working or
deer, hog hunting or whatever. I also wear long sleeve western shirts with snaps so I can get to my Stoeger 9 very quickly,
and don't have to worry with trying to unbutton buttons. Active Pro Gear "Deep Concealment Holsters also have pockets for 2 magazines. I also use this same holster for my Bersa Firestorm 380.

CLINT FROM FLINT
BERSA FIRESTORM 380
STOEGER COUGER 8000 9MM

"The more I see of some people the better I like my dog"

stoeger9
12-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Eliminator, I forgot to add that you can pull up Active Pro Gear on computer. A good selection of holsters to choose from.

CLINT FROM FLINT

BERSA FIRESTORM 380
STOEGER COUGER 8000 9MM

"The more I see of some people the better I like my dog"

stoeger9
12-25-2010, 09:43 PM
For Michael T.:

I believe I saw in a past thread where you were wanting serial #'s Of Bersa pistols with firing pin disconnector spring problems. If this is correct, Here is another number for you. "Bersa Firestorm 380"Serial #833335
I enjoy reading all these threads, very informative, experience is the best teacher. Seems like a nice bunch of folks
on this forum. CLINT FROM FLINT "The more I see of some people the better I like my dog"

NCFlyfisher
12-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Big Winter Coat pockets help as I've done so even in "restricted" places. Some of the SD videos I seen, might ruin a coat but it could save your life...

While we can hope to try our outward appearance, just look for something which will work for your body frame. Once you feel as ease with the comfort on where your firearm is placed, practice your drawing skills from where's its located.

Chort
01-21-2011, 12:36 PM
I have the -no butt problem also and found the Perry suspender's work very well. They are right about the belt. A good one is needed for most holsters. I have a shoulder holster I use when I am hunting javalinas,which is only a few weeks from now, and find it works good for my 45 springer 1911. Helps keep both hands useful climbing around in the rocks.

brian c
01-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Just got a cheapie shoulder holster from Uncle Mikes. Not what I thought and my UC9 won't fit (and cover the trigger). My 380 cc and my 380 plus will fit so I might give it a try. Certainly needs a ton of adjusting...I noticed that if I use the tie downs I get a severe wedgie....guess that means still need some adjusting.

mitchr
01-29-2011, 12:53 PM
The 'adjusting' is about the most common complaint that I have read. In pics, etc. a shoulder holster looks like it'd be very comfortable. But, I've read where many are disappointed in that respect. But, I guess circumstances could dictate that as the only way a person can carry.

bersatoter
01-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Just got a cheapie shoulder holster from Uncle Mikes. Not what I thought and my UC9 won't fit (and cover the trigger). My 380 cc and my 380 plus will fit so I might give it a try. Certainly needs a ton of adjusting...I noticed that if I use the tie downs I get a severe wedgie....guess that means still need some adjusting.

The only shoulder rig I have been able to wear comfortably is by Galco. The down side is that I paid 140.00$ for it though - fits great and I will probably have it for the rest of my natural life. The only Uncle Mikes stuff I have are pocket holsters and an ankle rig. They work but are not of the quality of the Galco.

Eliminator
02-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Finally decided the 9HC is just to big and heavy to carry concealed. Compromised by getting a Kel Tec P-11 which fully loaded weighs a lot less than the 9HC. Picked up a great shoulder holster for it that when wearing cannot even tell you are carring any weight. Since this gun is small enough and Spring has hit Texas I have also picked up a Dasantis Pocket Holster for it. I like the shoulder rig with Jeans and Sports Coat because you can still access the gun easily while sitting. The P-11 also seems snug in a OWB holster that I had picked up for the 9HC when shooting IPDA. The Pocket Holster offers great no worry concealment.

I also ordered some Perry Suspenders that have not come in yet. The Shoulder holster clips to the belt and also functions similar to suspenders. Have lost 18 lbs and still going down!

Michael T
02-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Regarding the tie downs .... I don't use them. I tried them but found I didn't like them. I keep the guns from flapping by not jogging! :wink:

-Pondy

My classic doesn't have tie downs. Crockett never need tie downs and I don't either I wear my pistol higher These at knee level . A good belt and suspenders will handel 99% of the problems

Eliminator
02-17-2011, 01:13 PM
I do kind of like the tie-downs because it aids in concealment. If the gun is not bouncing its not as obvious that you have a gun.
I think most people equate shoulder holsters to law enforcement so maybe if you are spotted maybe they think you are LEO?