PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 350 Sec. Pump. First Impressions

shooterrick
02-17-2015, 07:19 PM
Picked up my Stevens 350 at FFL today. This post is not a comprehensive review but simply my first thoughts after unpacking and assembling the barrel. Finish of the firearm is not blued but matt black type finish. It is acceptable for the price point. Altogether the shotgun seems well made with its steel receiver and synthetic stock. Ghost ring sights will take some getting use to but for a defensive weapon point shooting accurately will be most likely achieved with practice.

As I assembled the barrel I noticed something that could have been a problem if I had continued to install the barrel without correcting. The tube locking cap was installed with just a few turns on the tube cross threaded. I removed it and re installed it turning it completely down with just light finger pressure after cleaning the cap threads and tube. If someone did not notice the cross threading and continued to screw it down as required to install the barrel it would have been going back for repairs most likely. Why did an inspector not notice this at the factory I do not know. It was obvious to my old eyes at a glance. Well after threading the cap on and off several time to insure no foul was done I felt better but it did give me pause as to the quality of the assembly.

Over all I am satisfied at this point. Looking forward to some range time with it and we will see. One thing about the bottom ejection and loading similar to the Ithaca 37 based action is I do not see as of yet a good way to speed load this thing if needed. Also because the tube cap is also the locking mechanism for the barrel a tube extension seems not possible. Also the slide release while well placed at the front of the trigger guard, is thin metal and not the most comfortable to use. The safely behind the trigger guard protrudes significantly and may take some getting use to also. While none of these negatives are a deal breaker at this price point, they could have been better engineered in my humble opinion.

JONESN
02-17-2015, 07:21 PM
wheres the pics rick???

shooterrick
02-17-2015, 07:46 PM
wheres the pics rick???
Will post some tomorrow as I get up at 4 am and am about to head to bed. "For now this is a stock photo of the shotgun.6523

groberts
02-17-2015, 07:51 PM
I've seen a video of someone loading two rounds into a Mossberg 500 at one time but don't see the point of it. The beauty of a pump shotgun is you can reload at any time you have a break in firing - you don't have to wait until it's empty.
AFAIK both the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 (and their equivalent lower priced versions) have magazine extensions yet the barrel is attached the same way you describe the Stevens.

FWIW, I did a lot of research before buying my shotgun. Especially with limited funds I would buy either the Mossberg Maverick 88 (what I actually bought) or a H&R Pardner. Stevens wasn't even in the running.

groberts
02-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Will post some tomorrow as I get up at 4 am and am about to head to bed. "For now this is a stock photo of the shotgun.6523

Is that a rifled barrel? Don't know why it has those sights unless it is rifled.

JONESN
02-17-2015, 08:10 PM
Is that a rifled barrel? Don't know why it has those sights unless it is rifled.

I googled the specs >
Rate of twist = n/a so Im thinkn not. My buddy had a scope on a shotgun of his. I thought that was as useless as having a spoiler on a tank! LOLOLOLOL

stidgun
02-17-2015, 09:03 PM
The beauty of a pump shotgun is you can reload at any time you have a break in firing - you don't have to wait until it's empty.

And you can't do that with an auto shotgun, hmm?

Michael T
02-18-2015, 08:52 AM
The beauty of a pump shotgun is you can reload at any time you have a break in firing - you don't have to wait until it's empty.

I can do that with my double barrel coach gun. It doesn't have ejectors :tongue:

groberts
02-18-2015, 11:09 AM
And you can't do that with an auto shotgun, hmm?

Well since an auto shotgun is basically a auto-pump shotgun you certainly can.:wink: Unless it is magazine fed and then no you can't.

groberts
02-18-2015, 11:10 AM
I can do that with my double barrel coach gun. It doesn't have ejectors :tongue:

Really? One shot? I thank that violates every movie use of a double barrel I have seen. :poke:

mitchr
02-18-2015, 11:22 AM
Really? One shot? I thank that violates every movie use of a double barrel I have seen. :poke:

That's correct! In the movies, you don't have to reload. :tongue:

gtgeorge
02-18-2015, 11:44 AM
That's correct! In the movies, you don't have to reload. :tongue:
And then there is youtube as well. Revolver shooting with Jerry Miculek Cut straight to the revolver shoot at this link or watch the whole video below.
http://youtu.be/uiC7EGJGjvs?t=3m41s

http://youtu.be/uiC7EGJGjvs

R.Ph. 380
02-18-2015, 01:17 PM
And then there is youtube as well. Revolver shooting with Jerry Miculek Cut straight to the revolver shoot at this link or watch the whole video below.
http://youtu.be/uiC7EGJGjvs?t=3m41s

http://youtu.be/uiC7EGJGjvs
And I saw nothing out of the ordinary. That's how I go to sleep every night. But my picture is of an Amigo with mesquite grips.

gtgeorge
02-18-2015, 02:17 PM
And I saw nothing out of the ordinary. That's how I go to sleep every night. But my picture is of an Amigo with mesquite grips.

I think we all live that way Bill :wink: I have been working on my hand loading though but not sure if Jerry was crapping or loading. :tongue:

shooterrick
02-18-2015, 05:05 PM
Ok here are the pics of the tube barrel lock cap, slide release, ghost sights the front fiber optic is green, and safety. Since this will be used to defend a position along with my handgun and rifle 4+1 some report 5+1 but manufacturer says 4+ I will just have to hope 5 rounds of buck, 20 rounds of 40 /sw, 30 rnds of 7.62x39 will be sufficient. LOL

groberts
02-18-2015, 07:34 PM
See the attached image for the Maverick 88. The mount on the bottom of the barrel slides over the tube and the cap holds it in place. To extend the tube the extender screws on and performas the same function to hold the barrel in place while still adding 2 or 3 more rounds.

shooterrick
02-19-2015, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=groberts;337014]See the attached image for the Maverick 88. The mount on the bottom of the barrel slides over the tube and the cap holds it in place. To extend the tube the extender screws on and performas the same function to hold the barrel in place while still adding 2 or 3 more rounds.
6531[/QUOTYes
Yes and the set up on the Stevens is different. If you look closely at the pics the barrel has a lug on it that a pin on end of tube cap locks into to secure barrel. The lug is over the end cap in other words preventing a tube extension from being utilized. For me not a big deal but some would be a no go from the start. The plan is to disassemble the firearm this weekend and give it a good cleaning to get rid of the factory grease and grit. Range work soon I hope.