View Full Version : Defense loads thoughts?

02-08-2015, 12:39 PM
I know 00 buck popular for good reason but I must consider over penetration where I live. Looking at both #1 buck and #4 buck. Thoughts?

Michael T
02-08-2015, 01:37 PM
If you miss all will have over penetration. Many Police Departments have backed away from #4 To many failed to stop. I would stay with OO myself . Remember a shot gun has very little spread in house . Were distance is close . Approx 1 inch per yard no matter the choke . You must aim. Street sweeper is BIGGEST LIE IN THE WORLD I fired a single barrel approx 13 inch barrel years ago. at about 25' I had all the OO buck on pie pan . Now even #6 bird shot will go threw at least 1 interior wall . Some people use #6 for home defense I am sure a load of 6 in the belly would make for a bad day. But still not my choice .

My self I really don't like a shot gun in home unless you in a fixed defense position . To clumsy to do room to room search .

I have a 16" barrel AR with a collapsible stock. I have loaded with Varmint bullets . I now have a smaller weapon with less recoil and 30 rounds to your 5 to 8 rounds . These will still shoot thou wall but tend to break up.

No real solution other than don't miss . Dry wall not bullet proof and unless house brick, a miss will good chance of getting out of house. About 20 years ago a person I knew shot himself in head 158gr 38 spl. S&W snub nose. He was in bath room . Bullet went threw his head ,Wall of bathroom ,across hall way threw a bedroom wall ,across bed room and in to out side wall Police recovered the bullet because the brick stopped it . In these toss to gather homes off today that bullet would have hit home next door .

I would if possible get in fix position and defend. Call police and let them clear house. Have a spare key with a weight and flag That you can toss out window So they can enter .

gun sane
02-08-2015, 01:58 PM
^^^Agreed. I don't want to go looking for an intruder. I'll make a noise and then he'll have the advantage. Let him come to me. I keep my cell phone in the bedroom with me to call the cops. The police can have what's left of him when he crawls out of the house.

02-08-2015, 02:02 PM
I agree with a lot of what MT said except I like a shotgun. I load 2 number 6 bird (mine are steel) followed by 3 number 3 buck (number 3 is preferred for 20 ga where number 4 is preferred for 12). Number 6 will not likely stop someone whe is h-ll bent on getting you, thus the number 3 in third position, but it will convince the vast majority of BGs to leave.
I also agree with finding a defensive position and calling police. If the police are late in responding (typical) and you want to get that front door closed I use my handgun to clear the home while my wife stays armed and covered.
BTW, my defensive position is also down low so I am shooting up which helps put any pellets that miss through roof and away from neighbor's walls. By the time they go through a wall, then the roof rafters and come back down they have lost most of their energy.

On reread I realized that the load sequence above is the firing sequence - load sequence is reversed, 3 number 3 and 2 bird. Right now I still keep the chamber empty because I like the idea of racking scaring the BG away. But I also don't like the idea of racking giving my position away.

02-08-2015, 02:08 PM
One more thing about 00 buck - it creates a heckuva mess to clean up.:slap:

02-08-2015, 02:29 PM
My shotgun is only viewed as another in home tool to defend fixed position. I have my vz58 7.62x39 30 rnds also in bedroom closet. My 40 cal 10 rnds is what I would use to leave the bedroom if needed to check things out as I am most proficient and comfortable with my carry pistol. If they are outside the home then I have won as police would have been called already and they can stay outside and bleed there. I think for the 12 gauge I will load 2rnds #4 buck followed by #1 buck. Just not confident in #6 shot except for rabbits and squirrels. My objective with the shotgun purchase was to give my a full compliment of tools in my home.

02-08-2015, 02:46 PM
I like the idea of racking scaring the BG away.
The sound of gun shots and hot lead in their a$$ will scare them away a lot quicker.

02-08-2015, 03:21 PM
I have a .410 full choke, and from my experience with the 4" PDX1, it would be more than sufficient to stop anyone anywhere in my house. Given that, I still use the 9UC for home defense.

02-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Rock salt to 00 Buck. Doesn't matter what you load your shotty with. It is universally accepted that the sound of racking a shotgun is enough to make a BG crap their pants and run home to their Momma. :angel:

00 or #4 here. The shotguns are not my primary HD weapon. They are just one of the available choices and are backed up by other weapons.

Shouldering even an 18" shotgun makes it long and unwieldily when you are house hunting. And forget using the bead. It took some getting used to but with some practice, you can reliably hit center mass while having the butt stock tucked under your arm and rotating your upper body to aim. This shortens the length considerably allowing you to move through the house easier.Try this sometime. Take a tour of your house with an empty shotgun at the ready and move through it. It could be an eye-opener. Low, fixed position shooting is a different animal. Having extra shells on the butt stock "just in case" is not a bad thing either.

02-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Rock salt to 00 Buck. Doesn't matter what you load your shotty with. It is universally accepted that the sound of racking a shotgun is enough to make a BG crap their pants and run home to their Momma. :angel:.

While I agree with the thought it certainly is NOT universally accepted. There are videos from several of the Internet "experts" who dispute this. Thus my concern.

Michael T
02-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Rock salt to 00 Buck. Doesn't matter what you load your shotty with. It is universally accepted that the sound of racking a shotgun is enough to make a BG crap their pants and run home to their Momma

I like the idea of racking scaring the BG away

If such a good idea. Then both of you make a loop recording of the shot gun being racked . Install a few speakers around house. Then play and go back to sleep since BG's will crap pants and run. That myth is BS don't bet your life on it . Add a extra round and be ready.

Beside Racking the gun just blew your surprise. BG now knows you awake and armed . Nice idea to alert your enemy . Why not just fire a warning shot into ceiling have same effect .

Buy a sword and whack his head off. No need to wake you family or neighbors . Keep carpet cleaners number handy .Or line all floors with plastic sheeting cover all furniture also. Tell Police you hate a dirty house. If they ask about all the plastic. :tongue:

02-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Well this has turned into a strategy debate so I will weigh in on it. I have prepared myself with the tools and know how to use them mechanically. One must also prepare the proper mindset. If a BG comes into my home and I feel threatened for myself and wife I will not hesitate to make the decision to stop them permanently. Unless it is obvious they are unarmed and I think they must be about naked to really know that, I will give no warning, no chance to get an upper hand to harm me or my wife. Remember they did not call ahead and tell me they were coming! I will not tell them it was a mistake to come until the situation is neutralized. My position is then I was afraid for my and my wife's life and made them stop. No more no less.