PDA

View Full Version : The Power of the NRA

ParaCav
01-06-2015, 08:57 AM
If you are not a member, I urge you to become one. The NRA is our #1 champion for our 2nd Amendment rights. We cannot count on "Politicians" to protect our rights

Source: Variety By Brian Lowry: https://tv.yahoo.com/news/tv-review-frontline-gunned-down-power-nra-150025966.html

cavelamb
01-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Completely agree.

But...

I'm going back to the "American Rifleman" magazine.
This "First Freedom" rag is just WAY over the top for me.

John_R
01-06-2015, 09:48 AM
I tried the First Freedom mag for a while, but by the time stuff goes to press it's old news, and yeah it's a lot of drama. However...

In ten or twenty years, it'll be the only written record of what's going on today. There won't be transcripts of radio and TV talking heads, and there won't be much internet archives to go back to (no one will bother). So it has a purpose, just not something I want to personally mess with.

TuxAir
01-06-2015, 09:51 AM
I might just sign uh... hmmm... Oh wait :D

I agree about the magazines cavelamb.

FakeBersaName
01-06-2015, 10:16 AM
I'm on the e-mail list for Gun Owners of America--the GOA.

I like them better than the NRA in some respects. They have a constitutionalist, no-compromise, no deals attitude and stance. They rigorously oppose any and all efforts to infringe on the 2nd ammendment on purely contitutional grounds and they do so by issuing "friend of the court" briefs in any case that impinges on the 2nd ammendment. They have been largely successful in providing the legal precedents to enable and sometimes convince judges to issue more constitutional decisions in most of these cases.

Anyway, you can google Gun Owners of America and read all about it and even sign up for their e-updates. Good stuff to know before it all happens and its too late to act.

I know the NRA is active in the courts also, but GOA seems to have a high percentage of victories, going all the way up to Supreme Court decisions.

mitchr
01-06-2015, 03:09 PM
Completely agree.

But...

I'm going back to the "American Rifleman" magazine.
This "First Freedom" rag is just WAY over the top for me.

Part of my complaint with the NRA is their shoddy record keeping. I've tried twice to get my subscription changed, with no response. Let me know how you get it done.

mitchr
01-06-2015, 03:28 PM
Sounds like this is a 'hit piece' against the NRA, especially in the last paragraph. Looks like they've swallowed the liberal BS that majority of Americans want more gun control. I'd say "reasonable limits" is just a coverup for their agenda of a total ban.

"For now, though, as “Gunned Down” illustrates, the organization’s leaders seem to recognize they come to that battle armed with the ultimate ammunition: Tons of money, a cowering political class, and a population that might embrace reasonable limitations on gun ownership in theory but lacks the necessary determination to make it happen once the smoke clears."

OysterMan
01-06-2015, 06:18 PM
Sounds like this is a 'hit piece' against the NRA, especially in the last paragraph.
I agree, especially with it being on PBS. I see that it's airing tonight at 9PM CST, and I'll probably watch... unless I start feeling an overwhelming desire to shoot my TV.:wink:

mitchr
01-06-2015, 08:31 PM
I agree, especially with it being on PBS. I see that it's airing tonight at 9PM CST, and I'll probably watch... unless I start feeling an overwhelming desire to shoot my TV.:wink:

Just bought a new TV & don't wanna risk throwing something at it, so I think I better pass on watching it.