PDA

View Full Version : Fed Court Rules "Crazy" Gun Ownership Ban Unconstitutional

gun sane
12-19-2014, 10:31 AM
An appeals court has overturned the federal law which prevented a man who years ago was temporarily confined to a mental institution from owning a firearm.

“The government’s interest in keeping firearms out of the hands of the mentally ill is not sufficiently related to depriving the mentally healthy, who had a distant episode of commitment, of their constitutional rights,” wrote Judge Danny Boggs, an appointee of President Ronald Reagan, for the panel.

As the old ad saying goes, "Sometimes you feel like a nut...sometimes you don't."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/12/19/us-appeals-court-deems-gun-law-unconstitutional/

groberts
12-19-2014, 11:21 AM
There was a police officer in Fairfield County, Connecticut several years ago who had his personal guns taken away from him because he had a TRO during a divorce proceeding 20 years ago. I don't know if he ever got them back but hopefully this ruling will help.

mitchr
12-19-2014, 11:24 AM
One more step in the right direction, provided it's not appealed & a higher court reverses it. Next, non violent felons should not have their gun rights revoked either.

John
12-19-2014, 12:27 PM
One thing I have never understood. They push and push for military, law enforcement, firefighters, etc to seek the mental help they need for PTSD, but then they know if they do they'll have their guns taken away, which are needed to bring home the bacon.

cavelamb
12-19-2014, 02:01 PM
One thing I have never understood. They push and push for military, law enforcement, firefighters, etc to seek the mental help they need for PTSD, but then they know if they do they'll have their guns taken away, which are needed to bring home the bacon.

Thank you for that, John.
They didn't take my guns.
But once VA tagged me 100% for PTSD, FAA would not renew my pilots medical.
And still won't.
But I can own firearms!

R.Ph. 380
12-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Thank you for that, John.
They didn't take my guns.
But once VA tagged me 100% for PTSD, FAA would not renew my pilots medical.
And still won't.
But I can own firearms!

Absolutely wrong. Send a man to defend his country, get him back damaged and deny his right on that basis. WRONG. I hope we get some definitive rulings on this basis.

Bill

Rollin Thunder
12-19-2014, 05:31 PM
obamacare will be the overseer of all this mess.

BigCityChief
12-19-2014, 05:33 PM
Absolutely wrong. Send a man to defend his country, get him back damaged and deny his right on that basis. WRONG. I hope we get some definitive rulings on this basis.

Bill

Yes - you are right on the money with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael T
12-20-2014, 11:53 PM
Shall not be infringed :geek:

jrtraderny
12-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Shall not be infringed :geek:

You know that and we all know that but there seems to be some discussion about that amongst people that really don't matter to all of us. (politicians for example)