PDA

View Full Version : dry firing

jstemarie
11-20-2014, 09:47 AM
Hello,

After reading the various threads on this topic I decided to check with Bersa. I have a Thunder Pro series UC .45. This is the answer I received:

Thank you for contacting us. Dry firing is okay with the use of snap caps. Excessive dry firing may result in ware of the firing pin, which may result in replacement being needed and in the event of that we do have extra firing pins available for purchase.

Thank you,

Eagle Imports

Quoting Janyne Ste Marie:

Hello,

I own a Bersa Thunder Pro UC .45. Ive researched whether or not it's safe to dry fire these with conflicting results. Some say bang away, others say use snap caps. The matter doesn't appear to be addressed in my owners manual either, or the site FAQs. Please tell me, is it safe to dry fire this gun or not?

Thanks in advance.

groberts
11-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Yes, dry firing most Bersas is not recommended. Why Bersa said dry firing with a snap cap is okay is beyond me - I don't consider using a snap cap "dry firing". I bought a set of 2 for my wife. It gives her both firing and racking practice while she's at home. (I think the neighbors would object to using real ammunition for practice. :AR15:)

mitchr
11-20-2014, 03:29 PM
I'm not sure why a FP would wear out faster from dry firing on a center fire pistol. I have read of one instance of the breech face breaking in a Glock & it was blamed on dry fire without snap caps. I have snap caps for all calibers that I shoot, but still dry fire without them occasionally & no problem so far. When I am breaking in a new pistol & will be doing it a lot, I use the snap caps.

PHMadness
11-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Hello,

After reading the various threads on this topic I decided to check with Bersa. I have a Thunder Pro series UC .45. This is the answer I received:

Thank you for contacting us. Dry firing is okay with the use of snap caps. Excessive dry firing may result in ware of the firing pin, which may result in replacement being needed and in the event of that we do have extra firing pins available for purchase.

Thank you,

Eagle Imports

Quoting Janyne Ste Marie:

Hello,

I own a Bersa Thunder Pro UC .45. Ive researched whether or not it's safe to dry fire these with conflicting results. Some say bang away, others say use snap caps. The matter doesn't appear to be addressed in my owners manual either, or the site FAQs. Please tell me, is it safe to dry fire this gun or not?

Thanks in advance.
That was a CYA response. I still stand behind that it's not going to hurt a Bersa to dry fire it until the cows come home. I base this both on personal experience and speaking to Bersa warranty gunsmiths over the years.
Some firearms truly shouldn't be dry fired. The firing pins in some designs can stretch and break. The firing pin design in a Bersa is quite robust.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, using a snap cap will definitely not hurt anything and no one should ever denigrate you for doing so. It's your gun.

Stoopid phone.

jstemarie
11-21-2014, 02:30 PM
That wouldn't surprise me actually. A safe response keeps them from warranty claims that may happen. Actually the snap cap is a PITA and this gun has FTF problems. As you say though, can't hurt! It's actually motivating me to get it back to the gunsmith, who can take a look at the firing pin while s/he's in there.

Mason
11-21-2014, 04:19 PM
I'm with Parrot Head.. I dry fire and rack mine all the time.. Likewise FXW... Why just the other day I was teaching the neighbor lady how to "rack and dry fire" her Bersa.. She was doing quite well and I kept commenting "Nice Rack"...

And then FXW Walks in right in the middle of it and started snortin and barkin.... I'm hoping my bruises clears up quickly.