PDA

View Full Version : Model 83 Decocker/Manual Safety

wolfgang the gun doctor
01-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Does anyone know if a Thunder decocker will work in the 83s and is there any major fitting that needs to be done?
I've worked on several of the older model Bersas, but not specifically this one. Bersa has a good record for parts compatibility over several model series at times and I'm hoping this is the case here.
I've heard that this model can have problems with the safety "self-actuating" during firing.
Anyone have any comments on this condition?
Thanks!

moltomonty
01-28-2014, 02:16 PM
I've used mine very little over the years, but haven't noticed anything...

pollyb
01-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Does anyone know if a Thunder decocker will work in the 83s and is there any major fitting that needs to be done?
Because of the firing pin change and the automatic safety the decocker design is different.

The decocker on the 83 has a slight "ramp" on either side of where the firing pin rides. The same design was used on the early (pre ILS) Thunders and the model 95 where the old style firing pin was used.

The new style decocker could probably be fitted but might require more work than it is worth.

I've heard that this model can have problems with the safety "self-actuating" during firing.
Anyone have any comments on this condition?
Thanks!

I had that problem on a model 83 and found the detent had "eased" a slot in/at the hole on decocker.
I solved this using a hand drill to increase the depth of the detent hole slightly.

regards jab