PDA

View Full Version : Good Inexpensive Shotguns

Soren
01-27-2014, 04:36 PM
If Bersa made a shotgun, I wouldn't be asking , it would be a no brainer. But, since they don't, what is a decent inexpensive shotgun? I really don't want to spend more than about $400 or so. This one would be more for target (trap) shooting rather than defense.

Apparently, the Saiga 12 is frowned upon at the shotgun range (not that I have one anyway). I guess they don't think you need 50 rounds to blast away two clay pigeons.

trentmaster
01-27-2014, 04:50 PM
I'm partial to the good ole Remington 870 pump. Can be had for under $350 a 28" 12 gauge.

BigCityChief
01-27-2014, 05:22 PM
+1 on the 870.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick Burkhardt
01-27-2014, 05:33 PM
Mossberg 500 for $300 or a Maverick 88 for $198.

Michael T
01-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Most dealers have good used shot guns at reasonable price. So you might find a hi dollar gun used in your price range . My self I like a double barrel for all around use.

ekim
01-27-2014, 05:49 PM
When I worked at a union machine shop back in the late 60's I was on a trap team the union sponsered. After about a month I switched from my pre 1959 Win. model 12 12ga. to a Beretta O/U 20ga. with 26 inch barrels imp/mod choke to make it more fun. I averaged 23 out of 25 hits for the season from then on. Not bad for at the time a $271.00 gun. Don't need a cannon to shoot little clay targets.

garwha
01-27-2014, 06:03 PM
The sreaming bargin in your price range, The Valdiz over an unders imported from Turkey by Briley in Houston for the Academey stores. Excellent fit, and finish, amazing oiled walnut stocks, 5 choke tubes. I picked mine selected from 5 in the box at Academy, and they all looked great, there is even burl in walnut stocks. I let a retired police officer friend of mine guess value before he could see the brand or orgin, his guess based on fit, finish, and wood, $4000, and you'll look like a pro on the skeet course. Mine did need more shock supression, and a little trigger work, but almost all new guns need that now.

TGeneC
01-27-2014, 06:03 PM
+2 on the 870. It is the standard for inexpensive and reliable shotguns. They've been making them for so long all the bugs have been worked out, nuked, burned, buried and the ash scattered into the ocean.

TuxAir
01-27-2014, 06:39 PM
I shoot the clay invaders with an old 12 ga. Remmy 870 wingmaster and a 12 ga. Winchester 1300 (FN made). Get something you can put a choke on. Most cheap shottys are cylinder bore. They work but adding a bit of choke (Imp/Mod) helped me improve my shooting a lot. 12 or 20. The choice is yours. But when you get serious about it, many use an older over/under instead of a pump.

groberts
01-27-2014, 07:15 PM
H&R Pardner. Under $200 and I've heard a lot of good about them. If I could sell my rifle I'd be getting one.

lee1959
01-27-2014, 07:39 PM
I will second MTs suggestion. ou can if you are patient find great buys. I have less than $200 in this Mossberg 500. I bought it at a yard sale for around $70, traded off the 28 inch polychoke barrel for a 20 inch accuchoke barrel. Spent something like $20 for uncle mikes sling swivels, sling, Williams optic sights off internet auctions. Then $75 was spent on a Blackhawk Compstock recoil reducing stock on another auction. It is a great shooter and I have used it for everything from turkeys, to clays, to partridge, and home defence. A little patience shopping around and horse trading can make you the shotgun you want.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/patycake21/501b55dc-7466-4511-9130-bdf6dd7d0777_zps120f4c0e.jpg

ParaCav
01-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Lots of good choices out there. Regular field grade hunting shotguns can be a decent trap gun, preferably with a ribbed barrel. Just depends how far you want to get into trap shooting. It can be a very expensive pastime. Been there done that.

Horseshoe
01-27-2014, 09:19 PM
870 Remington ftw!

John
01-27-2014, 09:46 PM
I had a pardner pump I picked up for $139 on a Father's Day sale. Great reliable gun never had any issues. I sold it because my shoulder couldn't keep up too well with a shotgun after a couple surgeries but I never ha an issue with it

Jack
01-27-2014, 10:03 PM
I had a pardner pump I picked up for $139 on a Father's Day sale. Great reliable gun never had any issues. I sold it because my shoulder couldn't keep up too well with a shotgun after a couple surgeries but I never ha an issue with it

I have one of these too. We needed one to learn with and the price of entry was unbeatable. The Pardner Pump is an all steel 870. Everything is the same except the threads on the barrel. Yes, the shotgun guys at the range called it a 2x4 (they had Benelli's), but it shoots straight and doesn't jam. It's a tad heavy, but hey, it's a $150 shotgun.

MitchellB
01-28-2014, 08:23 AM
I'm partial to SxSs also with double triggers. I like having a choke choice at my finger tips when hunting. A used Savage/Stevens 311 can usually be found for under $400 and while not the sleekest of SxSs they are very durable dependable shotguns. Another advantage to my 311s is that I'm not searching around on the ground for empty shells after I shoot. I like the 870 pumps also, but prefer the Mossberg 500s because of the location of the safety, which in on the top tang much like the 311 that I am used to. I don't believe you could go wrong with either shotgun though.

mercator1
01-29-2014, 08:10 PM
A pump isn't the best choice for trap. An O/U allows you to stay on target better when shooting doubles. For skeet, my Rem 1100 26" skeet choke has always done well.

cgchad
01-29-2014, 10:24 PM
I shot trap for years with a pump. The only thing it requires is more practice on cycling, but I could keep up with and beat most of the high end with a simple Mossberg 500.

I've tried the 870's and simply didn't like it. Felt to me a lot like a 2X4 with a barrel.

In hindsight, I wish I had kept my old high standard though.. That was a smooth shotgun once you figured out how to adjust the gas port.

stidgun
01-29-2014, 11:17 PM
What do you want your good inexpensive shotgun to do?

Soren
01-29-2014, 11:33 PM
What do you want your good inexpensive shotgun to do?
Blow clay pigeons to bits.

jaxgunslinger
01-30-2014, 05:37 AM
+3 Remington 870 :thumbs up:

lee1959
01-30-2014, 08:26 AM
Best clay shooter I ever shot was/is an old JC Higgens 12 gauge pump my dad bought about the year I was born, or thereabouts. I need to get the trigger fixed but when I used it on clays I was deadly, that shotgun fit me better than any long arm before or since. I literally never lost a turkey shoot I entered with it. I used it for a sporting clays season, my one and only venture into that world, and it held its own with everything it shot against.

Guess what I am saying is that with a shotgun, moreso than any other weapon, it is more a matter of fit and feel. Like a bow, a real bow not a compound bow, shooting a shotgun, wingshooting a shotgun, is mostly instinctual, so what fits and feels good works, be it OU, SxS, pump or that old HR Topper. Like that old JC Higgens, it felt the best and I just knew I was going to hit what I shot at, every time.

Horseshoe
01-30-2014, 03:51 PM
http://www.slickguns.com/product/asi-pump-action-pasi1-12ga-185-blk-5rd-17900-free-shipping

Don't know much about them.

Gunowner99
01-30-2014, 05:55 PM

That would be my choice.

Soren
01-30-2014, 06:11 PM
http://www.slickguns.com/product/asi-pump-action-pasi1-12ga-185-blk-5rd-17900-free-shipping

Don't know much about them.

Looks decent. Great price. But, with shooting trap, isn't a longer barrel preferred?

ParaCav
01-30-2014, 07:31 PM
The purists will say a 30" barrel min. But I never shot anything over 28" barrel and never had a problem hitting clays. I shot only trap, never went into skeet. The balance of the firearm and the shooters confidence are more important.

Soren
01-30-2014, 07:53 PM
The purists will say a 30" barrel min. But I never shot anything over 28" barrel and never had a problem hitting clays. I shot only trap, never went into skeet. The balance of the firearm and the shooters confidence are more important.

I really don't know, but, I am going to guess that an 18" barrel might be great for home defense, but not really for trying to blow clay pigeons out of the air.

Horseshoe
01-30-2014, 08:11 PM
Looks decent. Great price. But, with shooting trap, isn't a longer barrel preferred?

Yeah. I would go with a field barrel. Honestly, I have shot my 870 thousands of rounds trap. I used to be really decent with it.

mercator1
01-30-2014, 09:47 PM
I really don't know, but, I am going to guess that an 18" barrel might be great for home defense, but not really for trying to blow clay pigeons out of the air.

18" barrel would be an awful trap gun. 26" is fine for skeet, but 28 or 30 is best for trap.

Gunowner99
01-31-2014, 09:51 AM
18" is best for HD however.

Horseshoe
01-31-2014, 01:59 PM
870 with field and slug barrel. Best of both worlds. Have I mentioned the 870 yet? You can find them used for sub $300 with both barrels.

lee1959
01-31-2014, 03:12 PM
870 with field and slug barrel. Best of both worlds. Have I mentioned the 870 yet? You can find them used for sub $300 with both barrels.
Same goes for the Mossberg 500, which I prefer to the 870, the both are great choices with lots of barrel choices. And both have an excellent rep for reliability. cannot go wrong with either if that is the route you choose. Have used a 500 for 30 plus years with no issues at all, my brother can say the same about his 870.

electricmo
01-31-2014, 07:02 PM
That would be my choice.Mossberg 500. Mine also!

darrellkansas
02-01-2014, 08:33 PM
For a time on the original Bersa talk around 2007 - 2008 theree was talk of Bersa shotguns being produced in the 60's or 70's but they may have been produced in Italy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bersa_shotguns.jpg

My choice is a 870 HD with 18" barrell

douggreen
02-01-2014, 10:23 PM
If you are going to stick to trap then perhaps a pump can work although it is still not the best. If you are going to move to skeet or sporting clays you will find a considerable difference as you have to move the barrel much farther when shooting doubles. Doing that while manually recycling can be tough. My youngest son shot skeet with an 870 youth 20 gauge and did pretty good with it, but that was a testament to his being a good shooter and not that the gun was optimal. Heck we had one guy who consistently hit over 20/25 with a self defense fixed choke short barrel, but that still doesn't make it optimal. An over/under is preferable, followed by a reliable auto-loader. If you do go with an auto-loader make sure it is one that recycles reliably with target loads... it can be pretty tiring shooting a hundred rounds without using target loads.

garwha
02-02-2014, 02:46 AM
If you really get into clay shooting you will find that the round you shoot makes a difference in performance shooting, and that is the reason most competitve shooter load thier on rounds, optimum burn, hardend shoot, good shot cups, and recoil control. Now you don't want a gun that is throwing hull all over the place either, not to mention that thier is a reason the about 98% of competive shooter are shooting over and unders. Mke sure it's 28 to 30 inches too as the those barrels run to the base of the breach so you get a better sight plane, and more room to burn powder. This helps too when you decide to port those barrels to reduce barrel hop, and help recoil. This puts on the next bird much faster. If you want to be a great field shooter and do well with clay, get a gun you can grow with, and will still be running 30,000 rounds from now. I have already pointed you to the only 400 dollar gun that can do this. If money were no object a 4000 berretta would be nice, but it won't totally smoke the 400 dollar one. I have owned both, as well as several others. I have had 5 over unders, and one side by side, and prefer the pointing of the over under a little better. My Yildiz is model 2sp2me in 28", and was under 400. The nicest, good looking, and best shooter I know of under 400. You should go look at one.

douggreen
02-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Here is a link to a review on the Yildiz. I think that Garwha is right, if you absolutely must stay below 400 and your priority is shooting clays, this is probably the best that you can do. I still dream about that Beretta Silver Pigeon but it will probably never happen as my days of competing are over.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/09/tyler-kee/gun-review-yildiz-spz-me-12-gauge-over-and-under-shotgun/

Horseshoe
02-02-2014, 08:38 AM
Makes me wish I had an Academy store. $400 seems like a good price. If I still shot clays on a regular basis, I would look into buying one.

garwha
02-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Here is a link to a review on the Yildiz. I think that Garwha is right, if you absolutely must stay below 400 and your priority is shooting clays, this is probably the best that you can do. I still dream about that Beretta Silver Pigeon but it will probably never happen as my days of competing are over.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/09/tyler-kee/gun-review-yildiz-spz-me-12-gauge-over-and-under-shotgun/

My customized Beretta sporting clays gun was at least a $4000 gun in todays money. I sold it about 6 years ago because I had quit shooting in compitition, and just really could not justify having that much money tied up in a gun I was not putting to good use. I also had a Belgum Browning superposed, and would up selling it to, and bought the Yildiz. I like the Yildiz better than the Browing, it is just as nice, and accually has better wood, plus my old Superposed did not have interchangable chocks. Now what's crazy is this gun is not light years away from that $4000 Beretta. Now my Beretta was the sweetest shooting shotgun I have ever fired, but these Yildiz guns are crazy good for the money, I think they are worth twice thier selling price.

Mason
02-02-2014, 06:28 PM
FXW snagged a Stoger Condor Comp 12ga over and under a couple of years back.. If I recall it was under $500 bucks.. Its a lotta "trap" Gun for the bucks. 30" vented barrel, good selection of chokes, adjustable comb and good balance. She loves it and nails my butt out at the trap range all day long.. I gotta say I like it a lot too.. I'm just not allowed to touch it anymore.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/sites/default/files/styles/firearm_1004/public/originals/product-firearms/condor-competition-shotgun.png?itok=BL8FujZg

LAZY EYED SNIPER
02-02-2014, 07:03 PM
For my money it doesn't get much better than Mossberg.

The 500 platform has been mentioned a few times, but the 930 should also be offered for consideration. Having a semi-auto scattergun can be a real benefit for competition shooting. I've been running my 18.5" 930 for the past couple years and it's performed like a champ...

http://i72.servimg.com/u/f72/14/51/12/47/48_mos10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=3874&u=14511247)

These can be had for under $500 and are offered in a variety of barrel lengths ranging from 18.5" to 28"...

Soren
02-02-2014, 07:33 PM
I was talking to a couple guys yesterday and they both suggested either an over under or semi-auto shotgun for shooting trap. I did a bunch of searching online last nigt and ran across the Tristar Viper G2 (http://www.tristararms.com/viper-g2-synthetic-semi-automatic.php). Its a little bit more than I want to spend, but found some very positive reviews on it. It comes with a set of chokes, plus Beretta and Benelli chokes fit. I'm going to keep looking though.

Optik
02-12-2014, 11:27 AM
I started shooting Trap last year and was lucky to find Weatherby PA-08 "Deluxe" model for under $300. It is a Turkish made 870 clone with shiny metal and REALLY nice gloss walnut furniture. This was not going to be a field gun and I wanted something pretty for clays. It has been 100% reliable and accurate. I have since shot a Maverick 88 and don't recommend it for clays as it's too light to handle repetitive recoil as well as the wood stock Weatherby. I also tried a synthetic stock Weatherby SA-08 semi-automatic for Trap and it was a really sweet shooter with low recoil. These can be had for under $500 and would be my first choice for Trap shooting in that price range.

Soren
02-22-2014, 08:10 PM
After reading a bunch of reviews and doing a lot of research and holding a lot of guns in various shops and stores, today, I ended up getting the Winchester SXP with the 28" barrel. I am in the middle of tearing it down and giving it a cleaning right now. I'm going to take it out to the trap and skeet range out in Hillsboro tomorrow. I'll post pics later after I get it put back together.

Soren
02-23-2014, 08:51 PM
I still haven't taken any pictures, but here's me at the trap range today. I like this shot gun. The Mrs took her Mosberg 500, and the Winchester is more comfortable and the recoil is better.

http://youtu.be/0MxSHf0dBZM

http://youtu.be/0MxSHf0dBZM

My stance could have been a whole lot better. I need to get out and shoot trap more, it was the first time I have shot at a real trap range, and it very enjoyable.

9mmmlugerfun
08-01-2014, 01:36 AM
I like my shotgun its a Remington 870 Tactical Express and I would love to try it a trap shooting but my local trap shooting club said no I could not use it. Here is a pic. 5851

groberts
08-01-2014, 08:16 AM
I didn't read all the posts so I don't know if this has been said already. But it's worth repeating anyway. The H&R Pardner is pretty much the same gun as the Remington 870 but for under $200. And the Maverick 88 is pretty much the same as the Mossberg 500, again for around $200. I would up selling my rifle and buying a Maverick 88. The Maverick is a little more than the Pardner but it is made by Mossberg whereas the Pardner is made by H&R who are owned by Remington, but it is not a Remington.

Optik
08-12-2014, 08:36 PM
I decided to focus on the Maverick 88 12g. for Trap and reduced the pounding I was taking by filling the stock with BB's. I can easily shoot 100 birds now without a sore shoulder. It's been very reliable and scores are improving. I highly recommend it!!

jpshaw
01-06-2015, 07:58 AM
H&R Pardner. Under $200 and I've heard a lot of good about them. If I could sell my rifle I'd be getting one.

I love um. The wood stocked ones tend to be a little large and squarish in the wood though but nothing a saw and 1/3 sheet power sander can't cure. Here's my little 20 gauge.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/pshaw/10020055.jpg

Browning 9 Guy
01-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Please pardon my reopening an old thread but I'd like to add that Mossberg Maverick 88's are an extremely good value. I have two - a 12 gauge with 28-inch field barrel and a 20 gauge with 22-inch barrel. Nothing but good things to say about both.

Eliminator
01-07-2016, 08:21 AM
I have the Mossberg which I got for free and replaced the barrel with a 18.5" added a red dot site and side saddle to make a home defense gun.
this wins the caliber wars with 00 buckshot.

Rev_Les
01-08-2016, 12:26 AM
I missed this thread but JPSHAW's pic brings back old memories. That was the first and only firearm my father ever bought me ( when I was about 12). Years later I lived in an apt and didn't understand the necessity of home defense, and to protect the shotgun I left it with my sister, who's boyfriend ran off with it......... never again on that lesson. I have a Mav 88 that's really close to a Mossy 500. Same company, the Maverick is a Texas Mossberg. Long barrel, bone stock, enter my house at night it's probably not going to be what takes you out. :) A Bersa or Taurus...eh, possibly. Maybe even another Mossberg. Maybe an evil black gun.......wait a tic...most of them are all black...( with some Stainless on a couple) .

Jack
01-12-2016, 10:45 AM

The Pardner Pump is a Remington 870 knockoff. I believe the only non-interchangeable part is the barrel. They changed the thread to keep them separate. I don't know about the differences in construction materials, but the Pardner is a heavy gun. It's all steel construction and it works well.

I own a 20 Gage pardner pump and it's a good solid performer. It was about $170 on sale a few years ago.

Jack

Optik
03-26-2016, 05:22 PM
I recently purchased an H&R Excell semi-auto 12 gauge for trap. They were being phased out by parent company Remington and the price of $225 was impossible to pass up. It is made by Sarsilmaz in Turkey and is a fantastic shotgun. VERY well made and has operated flawlessly. A softer recoiling semi-auto makes for a comfortable day at the range compared to a pump or O/U.

Eliminator
03-27-2016, 12:05 PM
Remember with interchangeable barrels it takes less than a minute to transform a Mossberg rom HD to Trap.

Michael T
03-27-2016, 03:35 PM
Get a 410 derringer and shoot bird shot. That will improve your point shooting .