PDA

View Full Version : Rust!

efexay
01-22-2013, 04:34 PM
New gun owner here and I messed up leaving my first gun, Mod. 97, in it's bag for a few weeks. It is pretty covered in rust. Very manageeable but I want to know how to attack this without causing any damage. Also, what is the best way to store some of these older guns? Thank guys.

teecro
01-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Remove the grips and toss it in a pan completely covered in Marvel Mystery Oil or Better yet Kroil (spell) for few days and then gently start rubbing out the rust patches with a terry cloth towel if the rust persist toss it back in the oil and let soak another couple of days and try again....

PHMadness
01-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Kroil as teecro suggested is a wonder drug. Alternately kroil and 4-0 steel or brass wool can work magic. I never recommend storing in a gun rug or foam lined box long term. You can do it and get away with it but it needs to be very well oiled.

teecro
01-22-2013, 07:18 PM
I'd be really cautious with using steel wool as it can leave behind tiny fibers which if it were not for the oil can cause rust spots... But you can find brass wool at just about any hardware store and the finer the better so as to cause less finish damage...

Mason
01-22-2013, 08:26 PM
I can not tell you how much stuff Kroil fixes.. I buy it in gallon cans at the shop.. And when it comes to rust.. Its like Krytonite to Superman.. Its kicks rust's butt.

Reginald Carstairs
01-22-2013, 09:02 PM
I wonder who the dude was who told you to try out Kano Kroil :tongue:

When I make my Ed's Red solvent (by the gallon) I add equal parts of Kano Kroil to Ed Harris's formula in place of the kerosene. Woooow....weeee, what a gun solvent.

1 part Dexron ATF, (Walmart)
1 part Kano Kroil Penetrating Oil in place of the kerosene in Ed's formula. (from Midway on line)
1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits (Walmart)
1 part Acetone, (Walmart)

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_471100008_1.jpg

If you have a copper problem use a patch first soaked in 10% janitors grade ammonia (NOT FOR NICKLE) then use the ER

Mason
01-22-2013, 10:32 PM
I wonder who the dude was who told you to try out Kano Kroil :tongue:

Why you did RC :beerchug: You tell me all the good stuff that I know.. and I thank you :thumbs up:

BigBehr
01-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Good to know never heard of the stuff...