PDA

View Full Version : Gander Mountain?

John_R
09-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Someone just pointed this out to me, from Bersa's website:

"Bersa firearms can also be serviced by Gander Mountain. Gander Mountain locations can be found atwww.gandermountain.com (http://www.gandermountain.com/) Please call Gander Mountain before sending or bringing your firearm in for repair. Gunsmiths are at limited Gander locations."

Anyone used them? I can just drive over there and drop it off, saving postage cost and time...

Michael T
09-07-2012, 11:09 AM
GANDER MTN may or may not have a real gunsmith . He might be a sales person and part time gunsmith ( like me a kitchen gunsmith) They I would think do not stock parts to repair, Bersa's at their stores. So if they did know a fix .The more than likely won't have a part if needed and would need to order . The warrenty centers are real gunsmiths and keep a supply of parts . They have the knowledge to detail strip a Bersa and the required equipment to repair one. So do you want a sales person who might install a scope now and then trying to fix. Or a real gunsmith. Why would any one even walk into Gander Mtn. Home of way over priced guns . Let alone allow them to touch yours.. USE THE WARRENTY CENTERS. !!!!!

uncledub
09-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Check out some of the other firearms forums to read the opinions about Ganders' gunsmiths. There may actually be some real 'smiths (maybe some very good ones) working there, but you won't know until you entrust them with your firearm. I only use gunsmiths who friends or other trusted shooters will give reference to. Working in a big box store doesn't mean all their people are qualified. Many watches have been screwed up by "battery changers" who could barely open the battery package, let alone the watch.

PerpetualConstruction
09-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Ask your LGS... they should know who the competent 'smiths in your area are. Mine advised against going to our nearest Gander Mountain based on his experiences and those of his regular customers. I'm sure some of them do have rock-star gunsmiths, but I would want to vet them before letting 'em tinker with one of my babies.

JONESN
09-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Gander Mountain overall SUX!

John_R
09-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Just about what I thought. I wouldn't go there for anything else, why this.

Horseshoe
09-07-2012, 01:42 PM
I think what gander does which is what my wife got for my Bushmaster is sell an additional warranty. For 2-3 years can't remember which, they will send it in for service. This saves you the shipping only on a Bersa since it is lifetime warranty. Other guns may be worth it, but with Bersa I see no need to spend money on warranty.

I am unsure if they have in house smiths or just local people they partner with.

ParaCav
09-07-2012, 03:07 PM
The GM in Peoria has a "gunsmith". I have seen people bring in their firearms for repair. Have no idea how good or bad they are. They also buy, repair, and sell used firearms.

mskelbel
11-24-2012, 10:57 AM
The Gander Mountain in my area will send it in for service. They do not have a local gunsmith. They are the only ones in town that carry the Thunder .380CC so that's where I bought it. With the fail to feeds I'm having with my CC, I'm happy we bought the warranty service since we won't have to pay for shipping.

NormH3
11-24-2012, 11:08 AM
GANDER MTN may or may not have a real gunsmith . He might be a sales person and part time gunsmith ( like me a kitchen gunsmith) They I would think do not stock parts to repair, Bersa's at their stores. So if they did know a fix .The more than likely won't have a part if needed and would need to order . The warrenty centers are real gunsmiths and keep a supply of parts . They have the knowledge to detail strip a Bersa and the required equipment to repair one. So do you want a sales person who might install a scope now and then trying to fix. Or a real gunsmith. Why would any one even walk into Gander Mtn. Home of way over priced guns . Let alone allow them to touch yours.. USE THE WARRENTY CENTERS. !!!!!

If Bersa is advertising that Gander Mountain can be used for warrenty repair than i should think that makes them a Bersa Warrenty Repair Center.

shiftace
11-24-2012, 11:14 AM
I know, for a fact, the local Dander has a certified gunsmith on hand. This is in Fargo, ND.

Also, when you purchase a new firearm from them; 29.99 for the service plan. Which adds an extra year to your existing warranty. This also includes ONE free servicing/cleaning.

teecro
11-24-2012, 11:55 AM
I know, for a fact, the local Dander has a certified gunsmith on hand. This is in Fargo, ND.

Also, when you purchase a new firearm from them; 29.99 for the service plan. Which adds an extra year to your existing warranty....

I got to ask how do you add an extra year to a lifetime servise contract as all OO get with a BERSA?

shiftace
11-24-2012, 12:36 PM
I got to ask how do you add an extra year to a lifetime servise contract as all OO get with a BERSA?

No idea. I know it is an option. They told me about it, when I was thinking about buying a Savage rifle. I guess with the extra service, you do not have to mail it in, and worry about all those things. Take it to the local store, drop it off and let them fix it for you?

teecro
11-24-2012, 12:54 PM
No idea. I know it is an option. They told me about it, when I was thinking about buying a Savage rifle. I guess with the extra service, you do not have to mail it in, and worry about all those things. Take it to the local store, drop it off and let them fix it for you?

I guess that could/would make sense....

Pond Scum
11-24-2012, 01:11 PM
I have bought a couple of guns from GM including my wife's BT380. I used them for service once .... I took my nickel 45UC in for repair. The local "gunsmith" sent it in to "headquarters". They said it was a bent frame so Eagle Imports sent them a new gun to send to me. The lifetime service contract on Bersa's is really a great thing! :smile:

Bronson
11-24-2012, 01:16 PM
I dropped off my Thunder .380 at a GM and the "gunsmith" had never seen one before, let alone worked on one. He said he'd get back with me in a week. A week went by and he hadn't gotten to it yet. Another week went by and he said he'd had to order a new spring and it could be a couple of weeks....which turned into over a month. Which I found out was because he didn't actually order the spring (he tried to order it directly from Bersa in Argentina instead of Eagle Imports in New Jersey).

The guy was a moron.

Bronson

mitchr
11-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Like all chain stores, they have some good locations & bad locations. The one here is so high on their pistols that I can buy from my LGS & have enough money left over to pay for several trips to a warranty center, if needed. Saw a used PF9, with considerable holster wear, one time that was priced higher than what I paid for a new one.

Nasty
11-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Real live gunsmith at GM Huber Heights, OH...his name is Jake. Yes, they are an authorized warranty center for Bersa among other makes.

The GM service plan ("Pro Plan") also provides a 20% discount for smithing.

Not all locations have their own smith, but they can send it to one of the "Gun World" stores that have them.

Rev_Les
12-15-2012, 05:20 PM
I made the mistake of going out of my way today to go to a GM for the first time. It will also be the LAST time. Overpriced joke.I went to look at reloading supplies, they had one little rack with extremely limited selection and priced even higher than Outdoor World.

douggreen
12-22-2012, 10:27 AM
I got excited when a GM opened near me 6 months ago. The sheer number of guns they carried was overwhelming. Then I went to the used gun section. They are insane. They had a used, moderately worn P32 for 10% off of list...more than what you can get one for new. That seems to be their model for used guns, 10-15% off of new list. I tried to have a conversation with the sales guy about 22 handguns for my wife and quickly discovered that I knew 10x more than he did in spite of the fact that I had just started my research.

Needless to say my excitement left quickly.

Horseshoe
12-22-2012, 10:32 AM
They had a line of 30 people waiting for confirmation to buy guns. Ammo was pretty bare as well. I went just to see the madness, didn't even make a purchase.