View Full Version : Mossberg 500 Persuader

09-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Bought a used Mossberg 500 last weekend and got to the range today,gotta say that its probably the best $145.00 I've spent on a weapon.I put some 3" home defense through it and a couple 2-3/4" slugs and the rest#6 and # 8 bird shot but was very happy with the gun. Its been about 25 years since the last time I've fired a shotgun so Im definatley a noob but would reccomend this weapon to anyone. A friend brought his Mossberg 500 JIC pistol grip and that was a fine gun too.Will have to get used to the recoil as I generally shoot pistols but will be bringing my 500 to the range with me whenever I can. :thumbs up:

09-02-2012, 08:06 PM
A shotgun is on my wish list Mike! Good buy brother Im jealous!!

Michael T
09-02-2012, 08:57 PM
A shotgun with slugs at 100 yds + is a deadly weapon. Only real drawback is limited amount of ammo and slow reloading. Other wise a good weapon .

09-03-2012, 12:03 AM
I've learned to keep 5 extra shells on my butt stock. If I need more than 10 I'm heading for the AR's.

09-03-2012, 07:47 AM
I use 000 and 00 Buck for my Remington 870 tactical. Perhaps some Slugs are required... Good Luck with the Mossberg...!

09-13-2012, 09:14 AM
I got my husband a mossberg 500 by shear luck one year for Christmas. We have the home defense length because it was before we got into guns and I did not have a clue what he would ever want it for. 145 is a great price! I think I paid 200 new but like I said several years ago. He loves that gun! Reciently (After watching the Obama movie) he decided we need to get some extra shells for it. They are very reasonably priced. I had bought him self defense slugs without even knowing what I getting back then. I will be buying nore when I can

How did the pistol grip perform in relation to the regular stock? I think I see a new Christmas present in his future LOL

09-25-2012, 11:16 AM
I bought a Mossberg Maverick 88 a few months back for home defense. Got the model with a 20" barrel and a 7+1 mag capacity. Polymer furniture on this baby makes it really light and maneuverable in tight quarters. I've put a small tri-rail adapter on it, but haven't mounted a light/laser yet-- still looking for "the right one."

Hadn't had a chance to actually get it to the range until this past weekend, but overall I was very pleasantly surprised with the results. I ran slugs, BB shot, 00 buck, and #7 game shot through it, and the gun was quite accurate for a scattergun. Kicks like a mule with the light stock though-- I think the 3-inch buckshot kicked the most. The slugs left some pretty devastating holes in the target, and even though my domicile is brick, I have reservations about using slugs indoors. Think I'll stick to the 2.75-inch BB shot followed by 00 buckshot for close quarters. With 8 shots at my disposal and an extra 5 shells on the stock, I'm pretty sure that most intruders would be dispatched with little problem.

Michael T
09-25-2012, 11:15 PM
No need for the 3inch not at home range .
Just having slugs not good you need to shoot some distance to see where you hit. I was shooting a 870 with no sights and I was shooting way low at about 50 yds . Like any thing you need to practice and see where it shoots.

10-15-2012, 04:43 AM
Hi the pistol grip was a lot easier on recoil because your shoulder wasnt getting hit but we were all hip shooting with the jic. the range we go to will only let you shoot birdshot into the sand so you dont destroy target stands and none of us brought slugs so not really sure on accuracy, but I think Ill stick with my regular stock and 20 inch barrel cause not too many corners inside my home to come around. The JIC would be great if there were though.