PDA

View Full Version : New to Firearms: What are the Essentials I Need to Purchase?

shutterspeed
09-01-2012, 03:10 AM
I've been researching .22s for my first firearm purchase and am pretty sure I will ultimately go with a Bersa Thunder (also looking at the M&P and SR22). I'm trying to get an idea of how much money I will need to invest to start out.

Would anyone mind sharing the essentials I will need to purchase out of the gate? I'm only interested in purchasing the necessities right now. I'll add as time goes on. The gun will initially be used just at the range. Eventually I may decide to carry. Right now I'm thinking I will need:

gun (obviously)
ammo
hard carrying case and lock (for transporting and keeping safe from the kiddies)
cleaning/oiling kit
ear protection
eye protection

Am I forgetting anything? Would anyone mind making specific recommendations for above?

TIA!

Horseshoe
09-01-2012, 06:41 AM
I would say that are the essentials you have listed. Some other things to consider would be if you used an outside range vs inside.

Targets, target stand, hand staple gun.
This will be needed if you plan on outdoor shooting on top of what u have listed.

Happy searching, and good luck with what ever gun you get.

Kat
09-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Depending on which firearm you decide to get, you might want to decide which cleaner you need. In a lot of cases if you have a duotone gun you need to get a cleaner that does not contain ammonia. That is something I did not know when I started.

mitchr
09-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Welcome to Bersa Chat. If you can find a cleaning kit specific to the .22, might be fine. Otherwise, will be more useful & cheaper to just buy the necessary items.

Cleaning Rod with slotted end
.22 caliber bore brush
patches
*oil
*cleaner solution
** bore solvent
small container Qtips
pipe cleaners

* Many folks use Breakfree CPL for both

** If your pistol is nickle plated, no solvents with ammonia.

Have fun choosing/hunting your pistol, then shooting.

TGeneC
09-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Not a beginning necessity, but targets at the range are going to cost you $1.00 or more each, so purchasing in bulk will save you a lot of :Money: over time: http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=BLEA-1%2f50 and is worthwhile especially when you find yourself buying more Bersa pistols and wondering why the bank account looks so empty all the time.

Cleaning kit mentioned - I got a small one from the Bersa website to carry in my range bag and really like it: http://www.bersa.com/accessories/cleaning-kit.html

Get a small range bag - does not have to be anything special, but large enough for a bulk sized box of ammo, ear/eye protection, pistol & spare magazines and your cleaning kit and "travel size" bottle of lube.

One more thing - do yourself a huge favor and have at least two spare magazines - yes they are not cheap but you can get a discount to Condors Flight from one of our site admins after 10 posts.

usmc07
09-01-2012, 10:03 AM
One other essential item that I can think of is a small screwdriver set. Look at the screw on the rear sites, and also the one required for the grips. I've found myself on a few occasions requiring a screwdriver ( .22 rifle ). Indoor ranges will have them and if polite, they will let you borrow one if needed.

They take very little space in the range bag.

best of luck and have fun !

Mike

vtwinsports
09-07-2012, 03:15 PM
I have found that I need to bring a small hand towel to wipe my face at some of these indoor ranges. Sometimes the a/c is not working properly and it can get very warm.

PHMadness
09-07-2012, 03:33 PM
I have found that I need to bring a small hand towel to wipe my face at some of these indoor ranges. Sometimes the a/c is not working properly and it can get very warm.

"Always know where your towel is."
........................................Douglas Adams

qwiksdraw
09-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Extra magazines

John_R
09-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Ammo!!!

vtwinsports
09-07-2012, 05:05 PM
I also bring a black pen or sharpie to mark up the targets. It helps to know which weapon was putting which holes in the targets. Or you can use it to mark which ammo is putting which holes in the targets. Plus if they run out of your favorite target (which happens more than you think), you can draw your own on whatever you can get at the range. :-)

Mason
09-07-2012, 05:29 PM
"Always know where your towel is."
........................................Douglas Adams

And always know what your towel has been used for!

vtwinsports
09-07-2012, 05:48 PM
At walmart for $7 I picked up a small bore light, to help with cleaning. I put it in a plastic baggie to protect it.

Michael T
09-07-2012, 05:55 PM
A house in the country and lots of fence posts. They are harder to hit and no paper or staple gun to mess with. Take on 2 or 3 post at a time from draw.
Beside living in the boonies much better than city . You can shoot in the city if you live in a bad area . People are used to shooting and pay it no never mine . .

vtwinsports
09-07-2012, 06:02 PM
A giant non absorbent mouse pad (or placemat) to place the weapon on when cleaning at the kitchen table or at your desk. Solid, light colors preferably so you can see parts (they won't get lost in the background.)

Michael T
09-07-2012, 06:11 PM
I just use bath towels unless Sat night then their all wet. Unless you clean early on Sat. The you hear bitches about smelling like #9 when they use them later. Can't please a women I mean they could wait till next sat. They be dry by then and might even be washed if they did laundry. :tongue:

ParaCav
09-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Most important eye and ear protection. Get the best you can afford. You will pick up on what you need pretty fast. Get the basics now and start shooting.

shutterspeed
09-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks, everyone.

WheelGunManny
10-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Welcome to Bersa Chat. If you can find a cleaning kit specific to the .22, might be fine. Otherwise, will be more useful & cheaper to just buy the necessary items.

Cleaning Rod with slotted end
.22 caliber bore brush
patches
*oil
*cleaner solution
** bore solvent
small container Qtips
pipe cleaners

* Many folks use Breakfree CPL for both

** If your pistol is nickle plated, no solvents with ammonia.

Have fun choosing/hunting your pistol, then shooting.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what are pipe cleaners? Also, what does a bore solvent do that the CPL doesn't do?

mitchr
10-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but what are pipe cleaners?

Little fuzzy things that pipe smokers use to run through the stem of their pipes to clean them. Actually, a product called "Fuzzy Sticks" is better as they are fuller & longer. They can be found at Walmart in the hobby/handicraft department. If you don't have a Walmart, I suppose any hobby store will have them. Other wise, pipe cleaners can be found at tobacco stores. They are nice for cleaning down in the tiny nooks & crannies where a brush can't reach & behind the claw of the extractor.

John
10-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but what are pipe cleaners? Also, what does a bore solvent do that the CPL doesn't do?

I have my mother in law get me packs of them when she's at the craft store. They work greak for cleaning the small spots

http://www.chicaandjo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/pipe_cleaner_bubble_wand_2.jpg

shiftace
10-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Depending on which firearm you decide to get, you might want to decide which cleaner you need. In a lot of cases if you have a duotone gun you need to get a cleaner that does not contain ammonia. That is something I did not know when I started.

Does the Trurecoil stuff have ammonia in it? Is it good for Bersa Duo tone?

PHMadness
10-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Also, what does a bore solvent do that the CPL doesn't do?Cleans carbon generally faster, also cleans out copper. Subsequently it can cause nickel to peel so you have to be careful what you use it on.

Does the Trurecoil stuff have ammonia in it? Is it good for Bersa Duo tone?No ammonia. It's a very good CLP as far as CLP's go. I still prefer individual products but I do like and use TruRecoil also.

Marty
10-19-2012, 02:58 PM
First get the largest field bag you can , then wonder how in the world you are going to fill it. then 6 months latter think about buying another one cause this one is full. Oh lord I need help or another hobby.

WheelGunManny
10-21-2012, 09:55 PM
So the bore brush is not enough? Do you use the same cleaner with the fuzzy sticks?

mitchr
10-21-2012, 10:30 PM
The bore is the only place I use a wire brush. I have a baby size tooth brush for down inside the frame, magwell & inside the slide, but even it is too large to get into some places. You'll find lots of uses for the fuzzy sticks to help clean out burnt powder & after you are done, to check out the tight spots to be sure they are clean.

WheelGunManny
10-24-2012, 09:42 PM
The bore is the only place I use a wire brush. I have a baby size tooth brush for down inside the frame, magwell & inside the slide, but even it is too large to get into some places. You'll find lots of uses for the fuzzy sticks to help clean out burnt powder & after you are done, to check out the tight spots to be sure they are clean.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into those fuzzy sticks. I have a Safariland cleaning kit that came with the CPL for 9s and 38s.