PDA

View Full Version : Anybody slick up a shotgun for Cowboy Action?

SDT380
05-26-2010, 08:23 AM
What I'm talking about, is working on the action of a SxS, like the Stoeger coach gun I got to use in Cowboy Action shooting. I've read a couple threads on the SASS site, about this, and wondered if anyone had done any of this. I think they make the action open a little further, when breaking it open, and polish the cylinders, to help the hulls go in and out easier during reloading during a shooting stage. Just curious.

SDT380

Michael T
05-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Trigger job would help also They as I remember don't have best triggers This is all work for a good gunsmith not home on kitchen table smith

mudbug77
05-26-2010, 06:38 PM
sounds like it's time to get out the dremell for an expensive smithin lesson.:geek:

bgc
05-27-2010, 06:04 AM
SDT380,
Take a look at shotgunworld.com , I have found some great information there. I use JB bore cleaner from Brownells to polish the chambers and forcing cones in shotguns. Use a cleaning rod in a drill with some patches and the JB.

Muddog
05-27-2010, 07:47 AM
brownells sells a chamber hone....or you can use a little metal polish on a cotton bore brush with a drill... and you can definately slick up the action on those guns... however i would avoid the dremel tool and instead work with emory or crocus cloth removing any burrs or overly tight spots using a good lube and checking the action as i went
can be a costly learning experience if you go too far.... some also shorten the spring.... but wouldnt remove more than 1/4 turn at a time