PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice Purchase

Chucky
09-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Folks, Here's the deal. My 21 year old son wants to get into shooting trap and skeet. What is your advice on a starter gun? His income is limited and I don't want to shell out a lot until I know he is going to stick with it. Not sure where to start. Thanks in advance.

Reginald Carstairs
09-11-2011, 06:38 PM
I think everything you want to know is in the thread just before this one. The only thing different is you are asking for TWO guns.. A TRAP gun and a SKEET gun. These are the Black and White of the shot gun world as for being opposites.

This is the thread Mason started about getting his wife a Trap gun but keeping the cost down. > http://www.bersachat.com/forums/showthread.php?7964-Great!-FXW-wants-a-Shotgun.

Chucky
09-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks Reginald....Told you I didn't know where to start... I assume sporting clays would make it 3 guns?

Reginald Carstairs
09-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks Reginald....Told you I didn't know where to start... I assume sporting clays would make it 3 guns?

It falls in the middle but you increased the game cost to more than most of us have in loose change. The going fee for 100 shots in sporting clays is $45.00

I am a skeet man but I would have her start with Trap.

Gmountain
09-11-2011, 09:30 PM
I would start with a decent used autoloader-like a Remington 1100- that can be used for all three.

Reginald Carstairs
09-12-2011, 04:50 AM
I would start with a decent used autoloader-like a Remington 1100- that can be used for all three.

Hi and Welcome to Bersa Chat!

Any basic shotgun is allowed but if you are going to stay in the GAME the barrel length will come into play. Skeet 26-28" cylinder bore. Trap 30-32" full choke, Over and Under. Just adjusting chokes only helps. Trap an adjustable comb is almost a must today. With that said yes you can shoot any shotgun, but when you are on the line look to the right and left, if you look different there is a reason why, 95% will be shooting O/U. Clays is different, most will just bring their upland game field gun.

After a hard time making the right decision I think Mason came up with the best decision for a Trap gun for the FXW. I even know her score, WOW, she is good!

Falcon
09-12-2011, 07:24 PM
If you go with a semi auto loader like the 1100 you can have lots of options. Most of Remington barrels have the rim choke system which interchanges with their rim choke barrels. You can buy one set of chokes and 2 different barrels. 26-28 and a 30-32. You can find lots of good used 1100's in LGS and pawn shops. If you buy the over under, you will still need a 2nd barrel. I don't know what price differance that would be. I have been shooting a 1100 for 20 some years with out any problems. Just keep it clean and oiled.