TruRecoil Bersa Discount
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trouble getting slide back on Bersa Thunder 380 after cleaning

trouble getting slide back on Bersa Thunder 380 after cleaning

Recently I started having a problem with my Bersa Thunder 380 Duotone which I purchased new in July 2010 and have put aprox. 750 to 1500 rounds through. I take the slide off to clean the gun but after cleaning the gun the slide refuses to go back on. After several hours of trial and error I noticed what I have to do:

Step 1: I have to put a magazine back in the gun.

Step 2: I have to jiggle the trigger a bit which causes the hammer
    release cam and/or the automatic safety to move. (I am new to guns. The Bersa was actually my first gun purchase. Found out what parts were moving by checking diagram in instruction booklet.)

After doing the above steps I hear a slight clicking sound as if something is resetting. After that the slide goes on with no problems. Sometimes jiggling the trigger doesn't work and I actually have to dry fire the gun to get the slide to go back on. (Although Reynerson's video on YouTube states that you should never dry fire the gun.)

I also have noticed that if I remove the slide and leave it off for as little as 30 to 60 seconds I have to go through steps one and two. However, if I remove the slide and immediately put it back on I do not have any problems.

Is this something I should be concerned about or is it something that is common to Bersa firearms. I didn't start having this problem until last month and I fire my Bersa regularly once or twice a month putting 100 to 200 rounds through each time.

Re: trouble getting slide back on Bersa Thunder 380 after cleaning

Does the disconnector/drawbar (part #28) move away from the frame and block the slide when you try to put it back on? Do you have the outside cut end of the recoil spring at 12:00 o'clock? Either one of those situations could cause difficulty putting the slide back on. Good luck. Welcome to Bersa Chat.

Edit: I didn't make myself clear, sorry. You want the drawbar against the frame, and the recoil spring cut end at 12 o'clock when you put the slide back on.
    Last edited by p-t-max; 03-21-2011 at 06:29 PM.
    I'm no expert; I'm just, well...opinionated!

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/

Thanks...I've never had a problem with the recoil spring but I will keep an eye out for the disconnector/drawbar the next time I clean my gun. That could be causing the problem.

Rock

Thanks for posting this information! I just finished wrestling the slide back on to my new Bersa Thunder .380 CC after a long struggle. I checked the disconnector/drawbar, and that was causing the problem. My wife's Bersa (same model) doesn't have the problem. After she got hers, I liked it so much she got me this one -- and it's more difficult to disassemble and re-assemble. Hopefully it will become easier as it wears in and I become more familiar with the procedure....

Slingshot

I have 2 BT 380's and they both have this characteristic. Drawbar moves away from the frame with slide removed. Seems now that the drawbar is somehow putting a little drag on the slide once it's back on. The slide stops about 1/3 in from going fully forward when you're letting the slide go forward slowly. (slingshotting the slide forward is no problem so this may just be a quirk in both guns. Has anyone else experienced this?)

Quote Originally Posted by Browning 9 Guy View Post
    I have 2 BT 380's and they both have this characteristic. Drawbar moves away from the frame with slide removed. Seems now that the drawbar is somehow putting a little drag on the slide once it's back on. The slide stops about 1/3 in from going fully forward when you're letting the slide go forward slowly. (slingshotting the slide forward is no problem so this may just be a quirk in both guns. Has anyone else experienced this?)
    I think it's a fairly common characteristic of the gun. That's why riding the slide is not recommended; that's what happens if you do.

It also happens with my Thunder 380 Plus and my Firestorm 22. Don't ride the slide.
    Last edited by p-t-max; 01-17-2012 at 01:16 PM.
    I'm no expert; I'm just, well...opinionated!

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/

Quote Originally Posted by t-jay182nd View Post
    I've never had a problem with the recoil spring
    It's not really a problem with the recoil spring but it's a lot easier to assemble the gun if the cut end of the spring is at the 12:00 position.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    It's not really a problem with the recoil spring but it's a lot easier to assemble the gun if the cut end of the spring is at the 12:00 position.

Bronson
    Excellent graphic diagrams

That is fancy!
    "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine

Slingshot

I had the same problem and so glad I found this article. I had it back together in less than 1 minute. Seems this may be a re-curring problem. Has anyone sent the weapon back for re-work to Eagle? THANKS.

Moderator & Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

Welcome to Bersa Chat robrossk. I don't know if one has been sent in for warranty for this, but for future reference, don't try sending a pistol to Eagle for warranty. There is a list of warranty shops here on Bersa Chat.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

NEVER SEND A GUN TO EAGLE !!!! THEY ARE IMPORTER NOT REPAIR . We have the warrenty centers listed her on BC
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

KILL the amnesty bill

SECURE our borders

DEPORT all illegals

ENFORCE current laws

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas
    Lone Star State .. .................of mind

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

Bronson
    Thanks to Bronson for posting these diagrams by Reginald_Carstairs.....I have placed them in FAQ for easier future reference. regards jab
    Long story short, jab is a male.
    Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

VIP Site Supporter Americangirl01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pollyb View Post
    Thanks to Bronson for posting these diagrams by Reginald_Carstairs.....I have placed them in FAQ for easier future reference. regards jab
    There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Bersa Chat Zone!

VIP Site Supporter Rollin Thunder's Avatar

Who was the masked man that did that graphic? Excellent! two thumbs up!
    What do they say; A graphic is worth a thousand words
    Don't worry about the guns, send lawyers and money.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident, which everyone has decided not to see.”
    Ayn Rand

Yeah I take no credit for the images. I just did a Google image search and found them on an old post. I believe they were originally done by Horge over at the Bersa Chapterhouse....but I may be wrong so don't quote me on that.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Revolver

I have the opposite problem. It is hard for me to get my slide off...it's as if its catching at the end of the barrel....yes the spring is on at 12 o'clock. I just keep messing with it and it will finally come off.

Thanks guys today was my first day out with my BP9CC and was having the same problems. After putting the magazine back in and dry firing it went on easily. I had taken this thing apart a couple times before with no problems. It shoots awesome and I love this gun!

Moderator & Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

Welcome to the forum hector. There's lots of good info here.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

VIP Site Supporter Americangirl01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robrossk View Post
    I had the same problem and so glad I found this article. I had it back together in less than 1 minute. Seems this may be a re-curring problem. Has anyone sent the weapon back for re-work to Eagle? THANKS.
    I'm glad the post helped you, robrossk. GUNS SHOULD NEVER BE SENT TO THE NEW JERSEY OFFICE FOR REPAIR!!!! THEY MUST BE SHIPPED TO A WARRANTY SERVICE CENTER PER THE WARNING ON THE EAGLE WEB-SITE.
    There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Bersa Chat Zone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast