TruRecoil Bersa Discount
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BT22 Ammo Test

Slingshot

Re: BT22 Ammo Test

Hmmm, then maybe I'll just get the Walther instead, its a pretty nice CCW.

Slingshot

I've changed my mind again. Decided on the Thunder 380 CC and a Mosin Nagant which equals what the Walther would alone.

Also, watch the initial post, there should be a significant update with new ammo and updates soon.

I bought several boxes of Blazers and cycled through 150 rounds with no mis-fires or stovepipes. Remington JHP 36 GR. has about 3 mis-fires per hundred rounds CONSISTENTLY when using bulk.
    wiredgeorge
    Mico TX

Preferred Site Supporter bcrtops's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    I bought several boxes of Blazers and cycled through 150 rounds with no mis-fires or stovepipes. Remington JHP 36 GR. has about 3 mis-fires per hundred rounds CONSISTENTLY when using bulk.
    Yes, 3% failure rate seems to be normal for Remington .22 ammo -- too bad they don't do better in that dept.
    1) Never point (aim) a firearm at anything you do not plan to KILL !
    2) The only safe firearm is one with action open !

The Remington 22 ammo has two things that irritate me: 1) is the duds, and 2) it's so dirty. Blazer is my bulk ammo of choice, if I can find it.
    I'm no expert; I'm just, well...opinionated!

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by p-t-max View Post
    The Remington 22 ammo has two things that irritate me: 1) is the duds, and 2) it's so dirty. Blazer is my bulk ammo of choice, if I can find it.
    Bought a box of Blazer bulk 525 today.

i've never had misfires with cci plastic-boxed stuff

1 misfire so far with blazer

Slingshot

Updated with Blazer and Remington Viper 22

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas
    Lone Star State .. .................of mind

Nice write up abraxsis,

I picked up some CCI Blazer Bulk recently based on p-t-max's recommendation and today ran 150 rounds thru my Bersa .22 cal Model 23. Like you said " this will now be my new go-to bulk ammo", I already had #2: CCI Velocitor and #1: CCI Stingers.

regards jab
    Long story short, jab is a male.
    Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

Slingshot

I read where the stingers are made for guns using ANSI sporting barrels only because the casing is longer than a normal 22lr. How do the fit in the Bersa? Do they seat all the way in? I called CCI and they said most guns made outside the US are not recommended. Some pictures and examples in the link below.
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=77709

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas
    Lone Star State .. .................of mind

Quote Originally Posted by thor20003 View Post
    I read where the stingers are made for guns using ANSI sporting barrels only because the casing is longer than a normal 22lr. How do the fit in the Bersa? Do they seat all the way in? I called CCI and they said most guns made outside the US are not recommended.
    As stated above I have a model 23 (which is an all steel model).

I've been running Stingers (probably1000 rnds) since 2006 with no problems other than the cost. I've also run (? rnds) of Remington golden bulk, but like others have said it's dirty and
    has misfires.

regards jab
    Long story short, jab is a male.
    Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

Well, comparing cases, I see that the Stinger case is discernably longer than the Blazer and the Mini-Mag, but the over all length of all three cartridges appears to be the same, at least to the naked eye. After reading the linked article, I checked to see if the Stingers would seat properly in my Firestorm 22, and they do, no problem. If I remember correctly, Royce of CGW said Stingers were okay in the Firestorm 22. I've only run one magazine of Stingers through my Firestorm, and I didn't get any powder in the face or ruptured cartridges or any of that. No misfeeds, either. However, they were noticeably louder and they really put out a large flash; I thought I'd picked up my BT380 by mistake.

My curiousity was piqued, so I dropped the Stinger cartridge in the chamber of my Chiappa Model 1911-22, and it seated all the way in just fine. I haven't fired the Stingers in the Chiappa, but I wouldn't be afraid to, based on that. I also checked out the Stingers in the 22lr cylinder of my Ruger Single Six revolver, and they seem to seat okay in that gun, too.

Now, I know Stingers aren't recommended for use in Marlin semi-automatic rifles, such as the Model 60 or 795, because the higher pressure will beat up the plastic buffer in the receiver in really short order. However, some members over at the Rimfire Central forum report shooting them without any misfeeds in their semi-auto rifles.

I guess the best way to proceed is to check how the Stingers' fit in your own guns before firing them. That's what I'd do, anyway.

stinger uses a longer case but smaller bullet. but OAL is a bit longer which has led to jams in my other mag with out of spec interior dimensions (snag inside mag)

i like the velocitor better

Slingshot

Thanks PT. My BT22 won't be here until next week so appreciate you setting my mind at ease. I just wanted to provide the information so that someone could check, which you did. I look forward to shooting some stingers at night. I heard they provide good muzzle flash :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    stinger uses a longer case but smaller bullet. but OAL is a bit longer which has led to jams in my other mag with out of spec interior dimensions (snag inside mag)
    It sounds like you need to disassemble that "other mag with out of spec interior dimensions" and do a little bit of fine tuning with a file or emery board or something like that. Just be careful, because that spring can shoot out of there in the blink of an eye and send the floorplate bouncing off walls to disappear forever. I suggest using a big baggie or a pillowcase or something.

I see that my box of Stingers is labeled "32 grain" and my Mini-Mags and Blazers are 40 grain. Honestly, looking through a magnifying glass I can't see any difference in OAL between the Stingers and the Mini-Mags, but they're both just an eyelash taller than the Blazers.

Supporting Member

Tried out my box of Bulk Blazers tonight. 5 FTL (my first ones ever) in 90 rounds. Jamming on the way into the breech. The gun was a bit dirty from the last outing, as I did not have time to clean it, but I was not impressed. The gun is now clean. I'll give it another shot in the next week or so.

The target barrel on my 10/22 will not accept stingers because of the case length. It even came with a sticker saying "do not use stingers" on it. AFAIK target chambers are tighter than SAAMI spec, which makes sense, so unless you have a gun with a target chamber you should be ok.

Hey Jab, where did you get the CCI bulk and what did the box look like? If the the winchester red box 333 or 555 bulk packs dries up it would be nice to have an alternative.

BTW all remington 22lr gives me a 3-5% failure rate, too - completely unacceptable.

My understanding is that Blazer rimfire is made by CCI but is their econo brand and not the same quality as CCI itself... I picked up a BULK pack of CCI Standard Velocity 22LR 40 Gr. at Dick's Sporting Goods and will report on how it does when I have a chance to shoot next. I picked up a red dot sight for my Ruger target 22/45 MK III and will take it out and the Firestorm 22LR when I get a chance and try and go through a box (500 rounds).
    wiredgeorge
    Mico TX

Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    Hey Jab, where did you get the CCI bulk and what did the box look like? If the the winchester red box 333 or 555 bulk packs dries up it would be nice to have an alternative.
    Can't tell ya where he got it, but here's what the box looks like:

Thanks for the pic PT I have not seen those locally. Wiredgeorge, are you talking about the pack that has the individual 50 round boxes inside? Had good luck with those.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast