TruRecoil Bersa Discount
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy, new Bersa Thunder 380

Slingshot

New guy, new Bersa Thunder 380

New guy here, with a Thunder 380 duo-tone, my Christmas present to myself. I already had a full size 9 mm, and was looking for something smaller for range use and CCW eventually (I'm not licensed yet). I initially considered J frame snub revolvers, but I kept hearing that they're "carry a lot, shoot a little" guns, i.e., not particularly accurate or fun for casual shooting. The same seems to apply to most of the micro-compact pocket pistols out there. The Bersa 380 hits the sweet spot of a perfect fit for my small mitts, still small enough to carry, and a great shooter. Plus, it reminds me of my grandfather's old (pre-war, I think) Walther PP. I'm a cheapskate, and a new Bersa could be had NIB for $230 with a big Cabela's coupon (nostalgia wouldn't justify spending twice as much for a Walther).

I read lots of positive reviews of Bersas, which was a good thing, because the actual shopping experience was a test of my confidence. After saying that he had never seen a Bersa come back with problems (which I was inclined to believe), the Cabela's guy drew two problem guns in a row from stock. On the first, the slide didn't lock back on an empty mag. The second was inconsistent in DA mode, dropping the hammer from half cock about every other pull. Having learned more since then, I wonder if these could be ILS or shipping-gunk related issues. Fortunately, the third one was good to go, and I took it home.

After a good cleaning and a brief, cold range trip I can say it's a nice little shooter. A couple to fail-to-feeds early on, but my grip may have been to blame. So, it looks it will prove to be a good gun. But all I really want is someone to hold me and tell me that everything is going to be all right (bonus points for the movie reference). No takers? OK, how about helping rack up my post count so I can get some discounted goodies from Condor's Flight?

Thumbs up Re: New guy, new Bersa Thunder 380

Seems perfectly reasonable for a new gun to be a little slow in the action department creating a failure to feed. This should go away after 250 rounds of round nose target ammo. Also if you put a little high quality gun lubricating grease on rail, barrel exterior and any other friction points, this will slick up the action an allow for better action and feeding. I use lubriplate from Brownells and the action is quite slick once I put o

You have wisely chosen a very good pistol that is fun t shoot and useful too.http://www.bersachat.com/forums/imag...s/rolleyes.gif

Re: New guy, new Bersa Thunder 380

MtnMan,

Welcome to the forum.

WARNING - Bersa's are addictive.
    .380 Bersa Thunder Matte
    .45 Cal Bersa UC Matte
    9MM Bersa HC Matte
    .38/.38+P/.357 Ruger SP101 SS

Moderator & Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

Welcome MtnMan. Yes, the Bersa .380 may take a little getting used to as it's 'blow back' design is prone to mis-feeds due to limp wristing. They are sometimes picky about ammo at first, but usually come around to liking anything once it's limbered up good. Did the guy at Cabela's warn you that they are addictive? Not only are they not brought back, folks keep going back to get more! Just wait until you get the UC or HC9, or maybe the UC45!
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

MtnMan,

Welcome aboard, and congrats on your purchase. My local dealer as well informed me that No Bersa's have ever come back, and that about 5-6 boxes will suffice for the breakin period. I've enjoyed the 2 that I have so far, and also the family members along with friends that I've taken to the range to teach as well. The comfort and balance of the Bersa is what sold me on it.
    Stay thirsty my friends.....

Oh yes, I will add that my local dealer also tells me he never gets Bersa's back and he sells everyone he can get. You have made a good choice.
    .380 Bersa Thunder Matte
    .45 Cal Bersa UC Matte
    9MM Bersa HC Matte
    .38/.38+P/.357 Ruger SP101 SS

Slingshot

Quote Originally Posted by mitchr View Post
    Did the guy at Cabela's warn you that they are addictive?
    He said, "just try it once, you can stop any time you want.... "

Seriously, what I'd really like is a single stack 45. Bersa doesn't make one yet, do they?

The 45 is a small pistol and is a 7 round mag if I remember right We have several owners here.
    I like my 45 in a 1911 and my 380's in the Bersa size I have a KelTec also But the Bersa, PPK/S size good for carry and general shooting . Thr KelTec 380 and 32 are modern derringers . Easy to hide and surprise . They all have their place.
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

KILL the amnesty bill

SECURE our borders

DEPORT all illegals

ENFORCE current laws

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Super Moderator
    VIP Site Supporter

to the forum. The importer of the Bersa also imports a single stack 1911 called the American Classic. A lot of members here have them.

http://www.americanclassic1911.com/
    Life Member.. My Second Amendment Voice.

welcome to the form great people here good info all around enjoy
    if you can read this thank a Teacher
    if it's in English thank a VET

VIP Site Supporter Americangirl01's Avatar

Sorry, MtnMan. I have been running behind this week. Congratulations.....
    You have chosen a fine pistol and you have a good attitude.....Good luck with your new pistol (and your post count)....
    There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Bersa Chat Zone!

Congrats.. I went with the duo-tone myself. It's a fine gun.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    New guy here, with a Thunder 380 duo-tone, my Christmas present to myself. I already had a full size 9 mm, and was looking for something smaller for range use and CCW eventually (I'm not licensed yet). I initially considered J frame snub revolvers, but I kept hearing that they're "carry a lot, shoot a little" guns, i.e., not particularly accurate or fun for casual shooting. The same seems to apply to most of the micro-compact pocket pistols out there. The Bersa 380 hits the sweet spot of a perfect fit for my small mitts, still small enough to carry, and a great shooter. Plus, it reminds me of my grandfather's old (pre-war, I think) Walther PP. I'm a cheapskate, and a new Bersa could be had NIB for $230 with a big Cabela's coupon (nostalgia wouldn't justify spending twice as much for a Walther).

I read lots of positive reviews of Bersas, which was a good thing, because the actual shopping experience was a test of my confidence. After saying that he had never seen a Bersa come back with problems (which I was inclined to believe), the Cabela's guy drew two problem guns in a row from stock. On the first, the slide didn't lock back on an empty mag. The second was inconsistent in DA mode, dropping the hammer from half cock about every other pull. Having learned more since then, I wonder if these could be ILS or shipping-gunk related issues. Fortunately, the third one was good to go, and I took it home.

After a good cleaning and a brief, cold range trip I can say it's a nice little shooter. A couple to fail-to-feeds early on, but my grip may have been to blame. So, it looks it will prove to be a good gun. But all I really want is someone to hold me and tell me that everything is going to be all right (bonus points for the movie reference). No takers? OK, how about helping rack up my post count so I can get some discounted goodies from Condor's Flight?
    Movie Reference: Party scene from "We Were Soldiers" ?

Slingshot

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgerunner View Post
    Movie Reference: Party scene from "We Were Soldiers" ?
    Haven't seen that... now I'm going to have to. But not the movie I was thinking of.

Another hint... "Hey, do you like A Flock Of Seagulls?"

Slingshot

Google says:

"All I really want is someone to hold me and tell me that everything is gonna be alright." -The Wedding Singer (1998)

Slingshot

Ding! We have a winner.

I love dumb Adam Sandler movies.

Hey MtnMan,

Lots of mountain guys around here like me, lol If you need a reference about the BT 380 and the Pro 9, here are some photos.

Good Luck & Stay Safe!

“Big bullets let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.”
    -
    Elmer Keith

The Pro 9 UC over the Pro 45 UC:

“Big bullets let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.”
    -
    Elmer Keith

Forgot about Adam Sandler movie. What I was thinking about was the song "Hold me, Thrill me" a very "oldie" that they were dancing to before shipping out to 'Nam. Sort of took me back, and I'm showing my age

VIP Site Supporter Americangirl01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgerunner View Post
    Forgot about Adam Sandler movie. What I was thinking about was the song "Hold me, Thrill me" a very "oldie" that they were dancing to before shipping out to 'Nam. Sort of took me back, and I'm showing my age
    Show it all you want, blueridgerunner. I enjoy the lessons.....
    There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Bersa Chat Zone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast