“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: Bersa 380 cc jamed and slide would not stay open

Bersa 380 cc jamed and slide would not stay open

This was the first time I have had a chance to shoot it and the first mag or two were fine and then it quit staying open after the last shot. It then got to the point where the slide felt stuck and you could not get it to close. I finally got it to close and brought it home to remove the slide and when i did this little plastic tube and a piece of metal fell out. I am not sure what the plastic piece is or where it goes. The metal I looked everywhere and cannot see where any metal chipped off the gun. I am trying to attach pictures to see if anyone can tell me where the plastic tube goes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

Re: Bersa 380 cc jamed and slide would not stay open

I can't think of a place in that gun that should have a plastic tube, anywhere.
    The little hunk of metal, the first place I would be examining is the slide stop where the mag follower lifts it.
    I would also field strip it if you haven't already and reassemble it without the recoil spring and see if the slide feels smooth or has a hitch in it somewhere.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."
    Certified Armed Infidel

Thats a puzzle..... I'm sitting here with one of my CC's broken down...
    The small metal piece could be- like PHM said - part of the slide lock lever, or maybe the claw off the extractor?
    The tube?..... I do not think it is part of the gun.
    Certified Armed Infidel

Thanks for the quick reply. I took the slide off and tried it without the spring and everything feels fine. I put the spring in and it seems to be working fine after those two pieces came out of the gun. The black tube is not metal it has some flexibilty to it and seems hollow inside.

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

We always recommend a field strip, thorough cleaning & lube before the first trip to the range. The oily stuff that comes on them is not a lube & can cause problems when it gets hot. Like the others, not a clue about the plastic tube. I've heard that the preservative that comes on them can turn hard so maybe that other piece could be that??
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

It was taken a part and tested and oil before the first shoot by the place I bought it. Everything seems to be fine and I cannot find anything that looks like it is missing some metal. I will take it out and shoot again and see if does alright after a good cleaning and oil. What do you guys recommend for cleaning and oiling. I am new to all of this at this time.

Moderator of the Year

VIP Site Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by grerod View Post
    It was taken a part and tested and oil before the first shoot by the place I bought it. Everything seems to be fine and I cannot find anything that looks like it is missing some metal. I will take it out and shoot again and see if does alright after a good cleaning and oil. What do you guys recommend for cleaning and oiling. I am new to all of this at this time.
    You'll probably get as many different recommendations as there are replies on the cleaning & oil. One rule of thumb I've always heard was oil for parts that rotate & grease for those parts that slide. Personally, I like Finish Line Dry Lube for both. It's actually a product for bicycle chains that protects them from dirt, water, etc. Goes on as a liquid & dries to have a waxy feel to it. I use it inside for lube & outside for protection. As for cleaning, Hoppes #9 in the barrel, unless it's nickle plated & non-chlorinated brake cleaner in the spray can for all the little hard-to-get-to places.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Thanks for all the help and information. Just curious could the metal have come off one of the shells.

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas
    Lone Star State .. .................of mind

Welcome grerod,

You can test the slide lock by just inserting an empty mag and racking the slide. It should stay open.
    Long story short, jab is a male.
    Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

Certified Armed Infidel

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

The tube says AWM on the wrap. AWM is an electronic cable company. Probably just some scrap picked up from who knows where

Certified Armed Infidel

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

Just curious could the metal have come off one of the shells.
    Not likely probably more scrape from???

Certified Armed Infidel

Quote Originally Posted by pollyb View Post
    Welcome grerod,

You can test the slide lock by just inserting an empty mag and racking the slide. It should stay open.

Did that and it stays open but I do feel like the small pieces of metal was the reason it stuck earlier when shooting it.

Moderator of the Year

VIP Site Benefactor

Yeah, foreign items can play hob with a pistol's operation. Proof will be when you take it to the range next time. Be sure to give us a range report.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Did that and it stays open but I do feel like the small pieces of metal was the reason it stuck earlier when shooting it.
    I agree with pollyb and the rest. The gun picked up some trash. Both could have been the jam/sloppy problem. Shoot it again and see if it works. You may already know this but I would use the slingshot method when letting the slide go home. It only took me two BT.380's and one 9MM UC replaced slide stops to figure that one out. Good luck on the next trip to the range
    Certified Armed Infidel

Bersa Warranty Center wolfgang the gun doctor's Avatar

There is no plastic hose in any of the Thunder series. There is a short piece of tube (bushing) between the ejector and the hammer release cam and the firing pin safety lever, but it is steel and only about a quarter inch long.
    As for the piece of metal, the photo doesn't have enough resolution for me to see any fine details. I would suggest removing the slide and check the slide stop (just under the barrel where it exists the frame) to see if there's any noticeable damage. While you're at it, also check that the take-down lever pulls the slide stop down smoothly when you operate the lever.
    Wolfgang

This was the first time I have had a chance to shoot it and the first mag or two were fine and then it quit staying open after the last shot. It then got to the point where the slide felt stuck and you could not get it to close. I finally got it to close and brought it home to remove the slide and when i did this little plastic tube and a piece of metal fell out. I am not sure what the plastic piece is or where it goes. The metal I looked everywhere and cannot see where any metal chipped off the gun. I am trying to attach pictures to see if anyone can tell me where the plastic tube goes.
    Wolfgang - The Gun Doctor
    http://www.wolfgangthegundoctor.com/
    503-429-7342