“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: Call it Second Chance

Call it Second Chance

It started out about 2 years ago as a project for a friend, a semi-fancy chute styled knife. It was just about finished, had fancy burl wood scales, homemade mosaic pins and copper bolsters, was just getting ready to final polish it and sharpen it when I accidently rapped it against the bench, and the copper bolster popped off, then I rapped it hard again and the other side popped off, mad, I threw it and it stuck in the wall of my workshop, right about the nose of the hostage in a hostage target hanging there, and that is where it stayed for about 2 years when I moved. I normally pin my bolsters as well as solder them (which I evidently did not do a good job of as they fell off), this time I did not, and did not drill holes for pins before hardening the blade, and I just left it for trash and started over.

Well a few weeks back my wife got me going on doing another knife so I picked this up and decided to finish it. Heated the blade and took off the scales, tossed them away and salvaged the pins. Used the back slat on an old teachers chair for the scales so everything was a "second chance" at new life. Gave it a quick polish with Flitz, not enough to take out all the blemishes of humidity and winters toll but enough that it does not look like junk. Now its a simple knife that should provide some decent service. Will give it a shake out test over hunting season and maybe put it in one of my kit bags.

VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Re: Call it Second Chance

Absolutely fantastic. A utilitarian tool. Exactly what a serious man would ask for in a knife. That's REAL talent.

Bill
    WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T SAY?

CERTIFIED ARMED INFIDEL
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

"WHEN THE GOVERNMENT TAKES AWAY THE CITIZEN'S RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS, IT BECOMS THE CITIZEN'S DUTY TO TAKE AWAY THE GOVERNMENT'S RIGHT TO GOVERN" GEORGE WASHINGTON

A friend of mine made this for me several yrs.
    Unfortunately he now is suffering from advance Parkinson s..age 66 or so
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by riata2 View Post
    A friend of mine made this for me several yrs.
    Unfortunately he now is suffering from advance Parkinson s..age 66 or so
    Very nice, so sad that he is now suffering so, its a shame that the so called golden years are all too often in reality made of some form of fecal mater.

Quote Originally Posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
    Absolutely fantastic. A utilitarian tool. Exactly what a serious man would ask for in a knife. That's REAL talent.

Bill
    Thank you, I have been making knives for my family and friends for close to 30 years. Knives have always ben a passion, since about age 5 when I cut my hand sharpening a butter knife my granny gave me. When she asked why I did not tell her I did it, I said because you would take away the knife... It took a long time to gain a certain "feel" for a nice handle and blade symmetry, I sure wish my family would let me rework some of those early efforts, Gawd they look horrible with huge clunky thick handles.