“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: Thunder 380 rebarrel to .32 acp

Thunder 380 rebarrel to .32 acp

Picked up a new Thunder (Firestorm) a few weeks ago and have since put a couple hundred rounds through it. I bought this with my recoil sensitive gf in mind but it has left even my hand sore.
    I know the 32 has been out of production for awhile but I managed to pick up a spare 32 barrel. It seems to me everything is interchangeable and that the 380 mags will run 32. I'm sure it's highly unlikely, but has anyone tried this caliber downsizing?

VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Re: Thunder 380 rebarrel to .32 acp

If you have the barrel, any good gunsmith should be able to swap it out and you will have your smaller caliber.
    WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T SAY?

CERTIFIED ARMED INFIDEL
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

"WHEN THE GOVERNMENT TAKES AWAY THE CITIZEN'S RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS, IT BECOMS THE CITIZEN'S DUTY TO TAKE AWAY THE GOVERNMENT'S RIGHT TO GOVERN" GEORGE WASHINGTON

Quote Originally Posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
    If you have the barrel, any good gunsmith should be able to swap it out and you will have your smaller caliber.
    was thinking of doing it myself, setting up a similar jig like makarov.com used to offer

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

The mag lips may need to be pinched together a bit to feed the smaller round. The .32 magazine may still be available & it will work in the .380.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Semi Automatic

no jig or barrel press needed, the barrel taps out easily with a little warming from a butane jet lighter or small torch. propane will work too but not much is needed at all. i don't think it's even a press fit. the hardest thing is putting the small parts back together

my new 32ACP barrel even lined up the pin hole perfectly, but i re-chambered to 32NAA (380 case necked down to 32) so i don't know if the 380 extractor / breech face works with 32ACP?

FWIW 1st time out it shoots like a kitten but needed little ramp work. LGsmith must've had pity on me, he did some dremel work, shortened the barrel to CC length and gave it a crown for zero Bersabucks! i still need to test it again but I'm pretty confident

watch that ramp on the 32 barrel it's different than the 380

the 32NAA-CC lives, next I'm doing a 32NAA Combat Plus CC
    Last edited by Vito Glisenti; 09-24-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vito Glisenti View Post
    no jig or barrel press needed, the barrel taps out easily with a little warming from a butane jet lighter or small torch. propane will work too but not much is needed at all. i don't think it's even a press fit...

my new 32ACP barrel even lined up the pin hole perfectly, but i re-chambered to 32NAA (380 case necked down to 32) so i don't know if the 380 extractor / breech face works with 32ACP?

FWIW 1st time out it shoots like a kitten but needed little ramp work.
    watch that ramp on the 32 barrel it's different than the 380...
    thanks for the info and the heads up! will give some feedback once the barrel gets here

For future reference, here is a link posted on the Walther forums doing exactly what I'm going to. http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/#/topics/52329

I've run 32 acp through my 380 mag and it works fine. The only thing I MIGHT need to replace would the recoil spring, but I doubt it. The extractor works fine as well.

Bersa Warranty Center wolfgang the gun doctor's Avatar

If you swap out barrels, there are two things that must be done: 1) the extractor cut-out in the barrel must align w/i a few thousandths of the cut-out in the frame. 2) The hole for the barrel retaining pin must line up as close to perfect as possible.
    If you do 1) correctly, then 2) should be aligned properly also. If it's not well aligned, remove it and try again. Unlike Mr. Glisenti, I've found that some barrels are a real bear to remove, esp. if they've been shot a lot. They tend to build up carbon deposits between the barrel and the frame. Heating the frame and dosing it w/ a good penetrating oil a few times and leaving overnight will help somewhat. Don't try to remove the barrel using a press; you will almost certainly bend the frame and kill the pistol. I use a brass rod a bit larger in diameter than the outside dimension of the barrel (3/8" works well) that I've turned down to fit the inside diameter of the barrel and a fairly light (4 oz.) hammer. You should make a drift for both removal and replacing the barrel as the chamber end of the barrel has a larger i.d. than the muzzle end.
    Wolfgang
    Wolfgang - The Gun Doctor
    http://www.wolfgangthegundoctor.com/
    503-429-7342

Semi Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Cyten View Post
    For future reference, here is a link posted on the Walther forums doing exactly what I'm going to. http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/#/topics/52329
    link goes to main forum, do you have to be logged in or is the link old?

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas
    Lone Star State .. .................of mind

Quote Originally Posted by Vito Glisenti View Post
    link goes to main forum, do you have to be logged in or is the link old?
    It appears that you have to be logged as a member for the link to work
    Long story short, jab is a male.
    Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

Certified Armed Infidel