“Making “Wolfgang
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need An Air Gun?

Preferred Site Supporter bcrtops's Avatar

Re: Need An Air Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald Carstairs View Post
    The heavy model is the bone crusher. I wanted the lighter one, it also has open fiber optic sights installed if you remove the scope. Two stage trigger. You must try different pellets. Each one usually needs a small scope adjustment just like working up reloads on a firearm. Light weight flat nose short distance hole punchers. I like heavy brass tipped metal punchers, goes through both sides of a #10 can. Amazon has assortment packs to test.

Airgun scopes are built to take a two way recoil, you will break even a high end Leopold if installed on an air rifle. PCP air rifle are easy on scopes but are big bucks, and best filled with scuba tanks to 3000 psi Rich Coop has them.

Yes, I bit the bullet and bought one.
    @ReginaldCarstairs....................Where is the range report? Review, etc. Waiting for you before I comment.
    1) Never point (aim) a firearm at anything you do not plan to KILL !
    2) The only safe firearm is one with action open !

Administrator
    VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Dee Dee did a 30 foot scope sight in on the patio. Got one hole groups. With the copper bb tipped pellets went through 300 pages of a hard cover book. 9.6gr.
    I need to go to my club to get a 25 yard test. Maybe this week
    In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Dee Dee did a 30 foot scope sight in on the patio. Got one hole groups. With the copper bb tipped pellets went through 300 pages of a hard cover book. 9.6gr.
    Yea, it's a lot of fun. Think I will leave the scope off of it & order another to scope up. Since getting cataract surgery, I can actually shoot open-sights fairly well again. Putting 5 shots in a 1" square @ 25 yrds. -- which be pretty good for me -- would be better with a "peep" type, but those sights aren't too bad actually. Shooting crosman premier destroyers, 7.4gr.

Edit: Need to have an open or aperture sight for the grand-girls to shoot & don't anymore. Whoops, I waited too long, MIdway sold out of this model. Either the Bone-Collector or the Whisper is all left of the IGT's. One of those will scope up nicely.
    Last edited by bcrtops; 07-05-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Administrator
    VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Cataract surgery not far off. I need to use my EDC light allot in the house, everything is getting dark
    Hell getting old, but I'm trying to make every day a fun day.

Dee Dee can't use open sights good. She is better than me with a scope. Once I showed her the nut and bolt trick she has no problem with the turret adjustments.

Administrator
    VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

bcr, another note make sure the Gamo has a CAT Custom action trigger. Two stage so smooth that I would love to have it on all my rifles. Never felt anything before quite like it.

Wow, surprised you got that much penetration out of that.

bcr, another note make sure the Gamo has a CAT Custom action trigger. Two stage so smooth that I would love to have it on all my rifles. Never felt anything before quite like it.
    Think all the IGT's have the CAT trigger.
    "Nuts & Bolts trick"????

On the cataract surgery -- go to the warehouse surgery place -- where they run you through like cattle. Everybody I've talked to is happy. On the other hand, everyone that has had it done @ a small clinic has had trouble of one kind or another. Just my interpretation from talking with folks -- could be all wrong.

Administrator
    VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Take a bolt and nut. Hold vertical. Remember the nut goes in the direction of the bullet. Turn the nut counterclockwise the nut goes up, turn clockwise the nut goes down. That takes care of elevation. Now hold the nut and bolt horizontal. Turn the nut counterclockwise and the nut goes right, turn it clockwise the nut goes left. So the bullet goes right or left. Now anyone can figure what direction to turn turrets on a scope. I carry a few nut and bolts to the range and hand them out to new shooters. You always get a smile when they figure how simple it is using this prop.
    Last edited by Reginald Carstairs; 07-07-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Administrator
    VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

OK, it was test day for the Gamo. Dee Dee staged the sighting out to 25 yards. She locked that range in.
    Using low priced hunting pellets 9.6gr. She pulled off this group. Wind variable shifting right and left between storms at about 8 to 10 mph.
    Guess who got the work out cocking the air rifle?

Thanks for the report RC!
    These Gamo's sure are some fun. The one I have like yours, I have left open sights & can get groups that would be in that "2" ring @ 25 yrds. all day long.
    The Bone Crusher model, I scoped with a UTG 4x mil-dot basic scope. The trigger is not as nice, but when I do my part I can get groups like DeeDee is shooting @ 25 yrds. So far only shooting Crossman Premier Destroyers -- 7.4 gr. Any of these gas-spring models make for a great inexpensive backyard shooting fun-time!

VIP Site Supporter
    I'm gonna be a Daddy!

Great shooting Dee Dee! You should get some commission from Gamo because you might have just sold me on that rifle!

I've got a Benjamin Titan that is a real tack driver.
    If I did it again though I'd probably go with the trail mainly because of a few different options.. With the titan though, at 30 feet I can write my name.. It takes about an hour, but I can pull it off.

I have one like the second bersatoter's picture has. Mine is a 1974 or 75 model. Havent shot it for a while but it still has good power. It shoots the large pellet. Most of the new pellet guns shoot, those tiny pisseant pellets
    TO BE UNARMED IS TO BE A VICTIM ... SUPPORT THE NRA

Do any of you find that shooting an air rifle is "tricky"? Unless I rest a rifle of one of my firearms on the barrel, accuracy is not affected much, not so with my air rifles! What is up with that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12