“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: Smith & Wesson

Smith & Wesson

Welp, I bought another S&W today. It is the SD40VE series.

It is supposed to rain hard tomorrow, but I would still like to get out to the range and shoot this. I used to have one of the older SIGMA pistols, in .40 S&W, but traded it off about a year and a half ago. Hope this one runs as good as the first one did.

Re: Smith & Wesson

This new model has a better trigger than the Sigma. I believe the rebate is still on to- you might ckeck on that.

Edit: Yep- $25- https://www.smith-wesson.com/rebates
    Certified Armed Infidel

Super Moderator
    VIP Site Benefactor

It has some really streamlined looks.....nothing to hang up on. Good choice!
    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by brojohn View Post
    This new model has a better trigger than the Sigma. I believe the rebate is still on to- you might ckeck on that.

Edit: Yep- $25- https://www.smith-wesson.com/rebates
    Yup, that went out in the mail today. Did not get to the range this morning, it has been raining cats and dogs here in Indiana (and cold). My work week is strange, three twelves Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, so I won't get to the range until Monday morning. At least the sun supposed to come out then anyways.

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

Got an email from Midway about a sale on S&W mags. Didn't open it, so I don't know for which models. You might want to check them out.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Mini Gun

Went by a couple of LGSs to price out a S&W MP9 or similar (and not G***K). Maybe something in a 40 or 45. Still looking. Last time I was at the range I checked out the MP9 (dang, it was well worn but still shot well). My 380cc is just a tad small for my hands. Good for a BUG but would like something a bit bigger. Now if I could just report being attacked a few times, maybe I could qualify in MD for a CCP.
    Last edited by gun sane; 05-05-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guns4me View Post
    Went by a couple of LGSs to price out a S&W MP9 or similar (and not G***K). Maybe something in a 40 or 45. Still looking. Last time I was at the range I checked out the MP9 (dang, it was well worn but still shot well). My 380cc is just a tad small for my hands. Good for a BUG but would like something a bit bigger. Now if I could just report being attacked a few times, maybe I could qualify in MD for a CCP.
    What? Can't get a carry permit? Maryland is stupid like that too? Anyways, I put 50 rounds of Federal 180 grain FMJ through it, and 14 rounds of PMC 180 grain JHP....it ran perfectly. Shot at about 1 second intervals, from 30 feet, and had no issues keeping them on a 6" paper plate. I usually just use those small paper plates for handgunning, because if I can shoot fairly hard and fast, keeping them in that plate, that's self defense all the way. Recoils like a .40, but no issues here....it was quick back on target. The trigger is better than the old SIGMA and around 7 or so pounds pull I would guess.

For the money I paid for this pistol, it was one hell of a buy. I recommend it.

I love my M&Ps. FS9, MP15, and Shield. A great trio.
    Certified Armed Infidel
    كافر

Have an M&P 9C that never misses a beat. Installed Ameirglo I-dot night sights and keep it near me by the bed. Also used to have a 957 revolver (41 magnum) with a 6" barrel that was my deer hunting companion.
    Ended up selling it to a preacher that used to minister at the church I attend. Great weapons.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by WVSurveyor View Post
    Have an M&P 9C that never misses a beat. Installed Ameirglo I-dot night sights and keep it near me by the bed. Also used to have a 957 revolver (41 magnum) with a 6" barrel that was my deer hunting companion.
    Ended up selling it to a preacher that used to minister at the church I attend. Great weapons.
    You mean your aftermarket sights are like the dot the "I" version, like on Kahr pistols? If so, where did you order those from?

A friend of mine has the SD40VE like yours. I'd tried the triggers in stores and it wasn't bad, but his the trigger was extremely heavy, and the back sight was loose enough that it moved when you fired the gun. I'm pretty sure he did something to it that messed up the sight to be honest. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. He eventually got an Apex trigger kit and installed it, then somehow got the sight issue addressed. Much better now. Decent on-a-lean-budget gun, and with Apex trigger kit, it's a great shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Waddams View Post
    A friend of mine has the SD40VE like yours. I'd tried the triggers in stores and it wasn't bad, but his the trigger was extremely heavy, and the back sight was loose enough that it moved when you fired the gun. I'm pretty sure he did something to it that messed up the sight to be honest. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. He eventually got an Apex trigger kit and installed it, then somehow got the sight issue addressed. Much better now. Decent on-a-lean-budget gun, and with Apex trigger kit, it's a great shooter.
    I've seen those Apex kits before, and know they work to reduce that trigger pull, but I tend to like a 7-8 pound pull on handgun triggers. Mine is probably around that mark, but at least it is not gritty. The old SIGMA I had before was gritty as hell, and that was after dozens of rounds put through it.

Quote Originally Posted by bersatoter View Post
    You mean your aftermarket sights are like the dot the "I" version, like on Kahr pistols? If so, where did you order those from?
    They're Ameriglo I-dot sights. Don't remember the exact sight I ordered them from but if you google Ameriglo sights they shouldn't be hard to find.
    Montani Semper Liberi

300px-Ruger_SR9_-_stainless.jpgLooks like a Ruger SR9, but that's the nature of firearms design today. Everybody copies everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by WVSurveyor View Post
    They're Ameriglo I-dot sights. Don't remember the exact sight I ordered them from but if you google Ameriglo sights they shouldn't be hard to find.
    Thankyou WVSurveyor! I'm gonna look that up.

Quote Originally Posted by bersatoter View Post
    Thankyou WVSurveyor! I'm gonna look that up.

They're more like a dot over a dot instead of the big dot setup of a dot over an 'I'. Here's a pic.

Montani Semper Liberi

Super Moderator
    VIP Site Benefactor

I have an I-Dot set on one of my non-Bersas with an orange front sight that I really like. They sit higher than factory sights, but not so much that they interfere with a holster. As an option, Ameriglo also makes them tall enough to see over a suppressor.
    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.