“Wolfgang

Thread: Gardening 2017

Preferred Site Supporter Rev_Les's Avatar

Gardening 2017

Last year the flood destroyed my garden, most of what I own and my desire to even screw with gardening. My catfish, perch etc. destined for the aquaponic setup all swam away completely ignoring the fact I rescued them to begin with. This year, the aquaponic thing is on indefinite hold, but I'm restarting my hydro beds and adding to them. No pics yet but since the wife is still determined to move I'm sticking with plants that are transportable and the majority of the system is being housed in and around a 6 person hot tub shell. The units in and around the shell are aerated deep water culture containers and off to the side is a 39 hole NFT ( nutrient film technique) stepped verticle rack for strawberries,lettuce, herbs etc. No more aquarium air pumps, there's a commercial air pump feeding the aerators and a Little Giant non submersible pump for the recirculating pump on the rack. ( Donated by my neighbor who harvested it from a Kroger lobster tank).
    Hopefully we won't have a repeat of last year's flooding but even if we did it's set up where the damage to the system shouldn't be catastophic like it was last year.
    I may put some cukes in the ground along a chainlink fence.
    Last edited by Rev_Les; 03-31-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

Re: Gardening 2017

I gave up on the gardening, mainly 'cause I had a bad year, but also because the critters got most of what did make, especially ALL the watermelons. Found 3 baby rabbits in a nest under some large cantaloupe leaves. I was moving them to outside the garden & Marty stopped me. She said if you move them, their momma won't be able to find them! I realized the critters' well being was more important than getting something out of all my work.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Slingshot

Rev, I feel your pain. Got some peas and onions in the ground, but hard to get too excited with the SNOW today!
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker Joe View Post
    Rev, I feel your pain. Got some peas and onions in the ground, but hard to get too excited with the SNOW today!
    Joe
    My wife wants to move to Nebraska. The best solution I've found to the growing season issue is an in-ground greenhouse.

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

Quote Originally Posted by Rev_Les View Post
    My wife wants to move to Nebraska.
    Has she been hit on the head?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."
    Certified Armed Infidel

I've got some stuff going in the greenhouse. Nothing outside yet.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrkin View Post
    I've got some stuff going in the greenhouse.

Nice looking hot house! I am curious about the multitude of bottles with what appear to be filled with water. To expand an old man's hobbies, I gave a small try at gardening last year and after hours of work, a bunch of money, I netted 3 green bell peppers and about a dozen + jalapenos. Kept me occupied and more or less out of trouble. Have tried it again this year, and so far with success. Put in some tomatoes, jalapenos, bell peppers, cabbages and some Texas sweet onions. I like the look of the hot house and if I meet with any success in my small garden, might try that at a later time. So far harvested a two tomatoes with a couple of dozen green ones in development, la couple of bells coming in and a bunch of jalepapenos coming along.
    ✟✟✟ USAF, Retired
    "...and HE said..."he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one". Luke 22:36
    Life Mbr: VFW, DAV, VVA, VSPA, NRA,

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

What seemed odd for me was my first year was pretty good & all I did was till & plant. The next couple years, I treated it for clay, fertilized & added compost. The 2nd year of that, only thing that did well was the watermelons & the coons got everyone of them before they got ripe!
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Site Supporter

Are the bottles for helping hold temperature??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a nice greenhouse Gyrkin. Any auxilliary heating or just the water?

Quote Originally Posted by Rev_Les View Post
    Any auxilliary heating or just the water?
    Just the water. It absorbs heat during the day and radiates it back at night. The stuff planted in the trays comes in the house on cold nights. The stuff planted in the floor is all stuff that can handle the cold. In about a month I will be able to leave everything in there overnight. That's about a month sooner than I can outside. The greenhouse gains me about a month of frost free growing in the spring, and sometimes as much as two months in the fall. Extends my frost free growing from three months, to five or six. Also, heat loving stuff, like peppers and tomatoes, grow better in there in the summer, even though it's warm enough outside.

Quote Originally Posted by VSPA View Post
    I am curious about the multitude of bottles with what appear to be filled with water.
    Yea, juice bottles filled with water to help regulate the temperature. It took us about two years to drink all that juice. They freeze in the winter, but on sunny days, even if it's in the single digits outside, they thaw some during the day then give off heat at night while they freeze again.