“Wolfgang
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 380CC mags designed differently

Preferred Site Supporter Rev_Les's Avatar

Re: 380CC mags designed differently

Any possibility of a pic of those mags, Leadhead? I'm curious if Mitchr may be on to something with improper splaying of the feed lips. Maybe.....maybe not, but worth looking into. TIA.

I am not sure how to post a picture but we can use Tsalam's picture. In Tsalam's picture he has what he calls two late style Bersa magazines on either side of the earlier style one. The two late style magazines have the longer lips, the earlier one has the shorter lips.

If I was to take a picture of my two Bersa magazines with one of the MEC-GAR magazines in between the Bersa's, it would look exactly like Tsalam's picture. The MEC-GAR magazines I purchased from Midsouth Shooters is listed as "Bersa Thunder .380 Blue Finish 8 Round Magazine" item number 00099MGBT3808B for $20.88, has the shorter lips. These magazines work fine in my Bersa Firestorm.

Tsalam hasn't told us what ammunition he was having trouble with and more importantly what the over all length of that ammunition is as well as what bullet style it is. I know we can have this type of problem with hand loads that are loaded too long for good feeding, even if the ammo fits in the magazine. AND, then we come back to how wide the feed lips of the magazine are. Too narrow and we can have the same problem Tsalam is having and too wide and we start having stove pipe jams.

It is unfortunate that those of us that enjoy shooting handguns have to deal with the problems of failures to feed and some of the possible causes.
    1. Not all 380's perform well with the same ammo, in fact some won't perform at all.
    2. Not all magazines for a particular handgun are the same. The lips can be short or long and the width of the lips can vary like crazy.
    3. Feed ramps of same model handgun can vary some in shape and finish.
    4. The extractor of a semi auto handgun can work just fine or be biggest cause of failures to feed or eject.
    5. The shape of the bullet nose can affect feeding. Hollow points and flat nosed ammo in particular can cause feeding problems.
    6. And then there is simply the need for some handguns to have some areas polished to help cartridges feed smoothly into the chamber.

I am sure I haven't hit on all the causes of problems with handguns, but I think you get the idea. It certainly suggests if we have a handgun that runs like a champ right out of the box, we need to feel just a little bit lucky. Or if the handgun doesn't run well, there is help out there and in forums like this one.
    Last edited by Lead Head; 03-21-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Head View Post
    Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is "What kind of ammunition is causing the problem?" What is the over all length of the ammo? Has shorter ammo been tried? There have been a lot of feeding problems noted when using Winchester FMJ flat tip White box ammo. Not everyone with a 380 has a problem with the Winchester ammo.

My experience indicates a magazine with longer lips can usually feed cartridges well that have a shorter over all length (OAL) due to the later release from the magazine. The oposite can be true with cartridges with a longer OAL. The later release with longer lips can cause the kind of jams the OP has been having.

During my next outing, I will be performing some firing tests using both the long and short lip magazines in my Bersa Firestorm.
    Lead Head, I was using Remington 95 grain which has always worked in the past for range work. They worked perfectly in the old style mag but failed to work in the new longer lips mags. I have sent the gun and new mags back to Cullen at CGW and he will take a look at everything and also try to find a couple of old style mags to replace the new ones. I will report back on here when I find out what he found. BTW, I have never used Winchester White box in any of my 380 Bersas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsalam View Post
    Lead Head, I was using Remington 95 grain which has always worked in the past for range work. They worked perfectly in the old style mag but failed to work in the new longer lips mags. I have sent the gun and new mags back to Cullen at CGW and he will take a look at everything and also try to find a couple of old style mags to replace the new ones. I will report back on here when I find out what he found. BTW, I have never used Winchester White box in any of my 380 Bersas.
    Tsalam,

If you decide to purchase what you call old style magazines, the MEC-GAR magazines I mentioned in my previous reply are of the old style and work great in my Bersa Firestorm. They are single stack (8) round. They also have a stainless steel follower.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsalam View Post
    Dick, all I did was wipe them down at first and began checking them out to see if they cycled correctly. I didn't break them down yet. I don't believe still having some cosmoline inside them is the problem. The different "cut" of the lips aimed the bullet downward so it hit the feeding ramp straight on. The other 380CC mags I have worked perfectly. I have talked to Cullen at CGW and he will check on it on Monday and get back to me.
    Tsalam, I cleaned mine when I got them. I got a lot of gunk out of them. I am sure they would have jammed if I had not scrubbed the cosmoline out. You may want to clean them to be sure.
    Certified Armed Infidel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12