“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: How do you protect the muzzle crown from damage when cleaning your pistols?

Mini Gun

How do you protect the muzzle crown from damage when cleaning your pistols?

I try to be very careful with all muzzle crowns. But pistols present a special problem. I'm always careful when pushing a rod attachment past the muzzle crown, but especially with .22 pistols and .22 caliber rods, attachments don't always fit flush and so there is a flange that might nick the muzzle crown

I know there's a better more foolproof way...and I know that you guys probably know what it is.

So, share. I bet you guys have something ingeneous.

Re: How do you protect the muzzle crown from damage when cleaning your pistols?

Push the rod in from the other end

Administrator
    VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

What he said, but if you use all brass or copper cleaning attachments you won't have a problem.

I would stay away from carbide or diamond. Just being funny, but you get the idea.
    In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

I use my crappy plastic Glock rods for my revolver barrels since you can't go in from the cylinder side and don't have any issues

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

I push from the chamber end only, removing the brush before pulling the rod out.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

I'm just careful. I obsess about my rifle crowns. Not so much with the pistols.

Stoopid phone.
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."
    Certified Armed Infidel

Mini Gun

John, I also use the crappy Glock plastic rod to clean my pistols and like phm, the method employ most of the time with pistol crowns is to just be careful.

If the crown does get a slight nick or ding, will it hurt anything to give it a slight chamfer to clean it up?
    (3) Bersa Thunder .380's
    ≡≡≡1- Nickel Plated≡≡≡
    ≡≡≡≡2- Duo Tone ≡≡≡≡
    ≡≡≡3- Blued Deluxe≡≡≡
    <And a 9rd mag for each>

تناول المزيد من لحم الخنزير المقدد

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

It depends on how slight and how accurately you do it.
    You're a machinist if I remember correctly? Check out Pacific Tool & Gauge for crown tools. Get a generic 11* cutter with interchangeable pilots and make your own pilots as needed. They also have a piloted 45* if I remember correctly.

Stoopid phone.
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."
    Certified Armed Infidel

On several of my firearms I have had the crown inverted which helps prevent damage. When I have custom work done on a handgun like my Redhawk and SP101 it is one of the things I have done. Other than that all brass rods and attachments no stainless.