“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: ATTENTION VETERANS: Cold War Recognition Certificate

ATTENTION VETERANS: Cold War Recognition Certificate

The following information comes to us from our member "Rangefinder". In short... ANY veteran that served, regardless of branch, and can prove they served during the cold war era between 1945 and 1991, may request a certificate of recognition. Below, please find the information on how to obtain the Cold War Recognition Certificate. A PDF file of the application is attached to this post or you may download it directly from the ARMY website.

How to Obtain Your Cold War Recognition Certificate
    The Secretary of Defense approved awarding of the Cold War Certificates to all members of the armed forces and qualified federal government civilian personnel who faithfully and honorably served the United States anytime during the Cold War era, which is defined as 2 September 1945 to 26 December 1991. The authority to issue these certificates is in accordance with section 1084 of the Fiscal Year 1998 National Defense Authorization Act.
    To be eligible for the certificate, applicants must certify that the nature of their service was honorable, and provide supporting documentation of proof of service. Documentation that is acceptable is any official government or military document that has the recipient’s name, date of service and Social Security Number, or Military Service Number or Foreign Service number. Members of the National Guard and Reserves are eligible for this certificate, although Contractors and volunteers are not eligible.
    The following are examples of acceptable supporting documentation
    · Leave and earnings statement
    · DD214 or other discharge paper
    · SF50 (Civilian Personnel Action Form)
    NOTE: Please do not send originals, they cannot be returned. Please send Copies only.
    NOTE: The number supplied in your initial request, be it SSN, MSN, or FSN, must match the number supplied on your supporting document

• Military Service Numbers (MSN) were issued to members of the armed forces before Social Security Numbers (SSN) were used to identify personnel. The changeover to Social Security Numbers occurred in the late 1960’s, so many retirees who are eligible for the certificate may have only a Military Service number on their supporting document.
    • The Foreign Service Number (FSN) is used to maintain records for foreign nationals employed by the US government and who do not have Social Security Numbers.

How to Request your Certificate
    1) Fill out the application depending upon your current mailing address. Required fields are marked with an asterisk.
    2) Print the application. You must certify your honorable service by signing and dating the application, or your application will be rejected. If you are unable to print the application you may submit a signed and dated letter containing the same information as the application. You must include the phrase "I confirm my faithful and honorable service to the nation during the Cold War Era."
    3) Mail,fax or email the application to the Cold War Office along with your supporting document to:
    USAHRC
    Cold War Recognition Program
    ATTN: AHRC-PDP-A, Dept 480
    1600 Spearhead Division Avenue
    Fort Knox, KY 40122-5408

Fax: 1-800-723-9262 or 502-613-9510
    Email: Awards and Decorations Branch

Due to the remarkable success of this program, turn-around time for mailing certificates will be a minimum of 2 months. The CWRS Operations Team is working as fast as possible to clear the backlog. Please do not request feedback prior to 2 months from the request date. Thank you for your patience and interest in the Cold War Recognition program.
    Last edited by TuxAir; 11-06-2016 at 11:41 AM.
    In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Re: ATTENTION VETERANS: Cold War Recognition Certificate

I got one of those back in the mid 70's. I don't remember having to apply for it. I think mine was given to me by the Dept of Defense. It was signed by Rumsfeld. I have absolutely no cue where it may be today. Probably behind some picture hanging on the wall.
    Last edited by ParaCav; 11-05-2016 at 04:25 PM.
    TO BE UNARMED IS TO BE A VICTIM ... SUPPORT THE NRA

What's the point? To be able to track those who might rise up in armed rebellion?
    Certified Armed Infidel

Quote Originally Posted by groberts View Post
    What's the point? To be able to track those who might rise up in armed rebellion?

It's a Recognition of those who served during the Cold War. There is also a Cold War Vets Association. That's all, no point.
    TO BE UNARMED IS TO BE A VICTIM ... SUPPORT THE NRA

Revolver

TuxAir,

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ParaCav View Post
    It's a Recognition of those who served during the Cold War. There is also a Cold War Vets Association. That's all, no point.
    What about those who served after 1991? Why don't they get recognized? Vietnam was during quite a bit of the Cold War and everyone in service then got ribbons, not just those who were there.
    Certified Armed Infidel

Let us not debate the merits of this. Let us leave this thread as an informational thread on how one may obtain a Cold War Recognition Certificate.
    Further information about this is readily available from the internet and the US Army Human Resources Command HERE and HERE

Thank you.
    In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by TuxAir View Post
    Let us not debate the merits of this. Let us leave this thread as an informational thread on how one may obtain a Cold War Recognition Certificate.
    Further information about this is readily available from the internet and the US Army Human Resources Command HERE and HERE

Thank you.
    While I spose this Cold War Recognition Certificate is somewhat cool to hang on a wall I'd rather have a Cold War Enemy Ground Vehicle Recognition Guide. Or just find my old copy.

It's here somewhere.

I just received mine yesterday. It takes approx. 8 weeks but it was well worth it. I salute all the men and woman, who have served in the Armed Forces of the USA.
    Originally joined Bersa Talk 8-15-2008