“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: Harvest time

Harvest time

Our beans did well this year. These are called "Dragon Tongue" beans. They are bigger than the average green bean, and as you can see, not green. Picked 28 pounds yesterday and turned them into 61 pints of canned beans.

Site Supporter

Re: Harvest time

I picked our first beans a couple days ago, about 3 weeks later than normal. It's been very dry here but lots of rain coming this weekend.

VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Those make very nice dried beans and rehydrate nicely to cook as a "red" bean. I really like the taste with cornbread and butter and salt. Yuuuuum

Bill
    WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T SAY?

CERTIFIED ARMED INFIDEL
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

"WHEN THE GOVERNMENT TAKES AWAY THE CITIZEN'S RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS, IT BECOMS THE CITIZEN'S DUTY TO TAKE AWAY THE GOVERNMENT'S RIGHT TO GOVERN" GEORGE WASHINGTON

Apples here, more than we can work. Best size and flavor we've had in a long time. Nothing the past two years? We were starting to run very low. The deer and neighbors really enjoying the over supply.

Great stuff you got there!

Quote Originally Posted by chard0710 View Post
    Great stuff you got there!
    That was last year. This year our bean crop is looking pretty poor. Good thing we still have a lot canned up from last year.
    What is best in life? The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.

Pressure canner for beans im sure.
    I made a bunch of fig preserves, canned maters, pickled jalapenos, dill pickles, pepper jelly, okra i freeze to fry.

no beans

Super Moderator
    VIP Site Benefactor

You've got our green thumb, Gyrkin. The Princess and I haven't got a big patch where we live but some years we had plentiful blueberries and the next year not really worth picking. We let the area growers do the hard work now and just give them some "green" for their efforts.
    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Other than my jalapeno plants, my small garden played out in late June, but did had a good batch of cabbage, tomatoes, Sweet onions, and a modest turnout of bell peppers. With the exception of having to buy a couple of habanero peppers, I did make up several batches of pico de gallo throughout the spring and early summer. Planning for a slightly larger garden for this next year.
    ✟✟✟ USAF, Retired
    "...and HE said..."he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one". Luke 22:36
    Life Mbr: VFW, DAV, VVA, VSPA, NRA,

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

What is it about this year & folks' gardens not doing well? My neighbor plowed his squash in because it wasn't doing any good. His tomatoes did fair, but not like normal.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer1270 View Post
    They look Yummy! What liquid did you use when you jarred them? I actually like them raw.
    Those were all just canned in water. I made some pickled grean beans later last fall. If I get enough to do anything with this year I will probably pickle them all, they were pretty good, and I still have lots of the regular ones left.
    What is best in life? The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchr View Post
    What is it about this year & folks' gardens not doing well? My neighbor plowed his squash in because it wasn't doing any good. His tomatoes did fair, but not like normal.
    My squash plants are big and look good, just no squash yet. Usually I have been eating them for a month by this time of year. Broccoli didn't produce much either.

My tomatoes are just starting to get ripe, which is normal for up here. Production looks like it will be about normal.

Hungarian hot wax peppers are doing good. So are my onions, carrots, beats, potatoes, kale, lettuce, and spinach.

It's hard to tell with the corn yet, it doesn't look great, but not terrible either.

Revolver

One round on canning Pickles then black mold hit them. Sprayed but it was to late.
    Beans are just coming on.
    Blight hit some variety of tomatoes but not the others so we have tomatoes constantly coming on to can.
    Lots of squash and zucchini.
    Jalapenos, pablenaros, cyanne and banna peppers are coming on too.
    Egg plants slow but starting.

Too much rain this year.
    You dont have to believe a train is coming to be run over by it.

Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer1270 View Post
    Bro, You guys grow the best peanut butter fudge too
    Lol. I think the wife is fixing to grow a batch to send north shortly lol.
    You dont have to believe a train is coming to be run over by it.