“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: Dewberry wine

Preferred Site Supporter Rev_Les's Avatar

Dewberry wine

Not really a recipe, but I just started 4 gallons of dewberry wine. It'll be well into next year by the time it's really ready to drink, and the longer it ages the better it should be. I had a bunch of dewberries sitting around in my freezer I was tired of looking at. I'm thinking of trying my hand at corn.

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

Re: Dewberry wine

A Bersa Chat boot-legger??
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Quote Originally Posted by mitchr View Post
    A Bersa Chat boot-legger??
    LMAO. There's a corn wine, and a corn WHISKEY wine ( just tastes like it sorta, not distilled). You'd be surprised at what you can make wine from, so long as yer not a purist that insists on it being made from grapes.
    We really don't have a brewing or winemaking section here, but I'm pretty sure some others are doing it as well. I believe it's illegal in Alabama and Mississippi to make beer and wine, but elsewhere so long as you don't offer it for sale or barter, typically ok. It's also illegal to put said beer or wine into any type of distillation apparatus without proper permits.

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

Don't quote me, but I think most localities will leave you alone as long as it's for your own consumption. Selling it would be a huge no-no & giving it away might get you in trouble with the health department.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

I have a bottle of "legal moonshine" means its been declared and taxes paid called "Death's Door" made of rye on a small island off Michigan.
    Aged in a stainless steel container for less than an hour. Its good mixed with V8.
    Retired and hunkering in.

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

Watch it . We have a Revenuer kid around here. He might turn You in . Acorn don't fall far from tree you know
    Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

I mighta screwed it up, but I added a half pound more sugar and a tablespoon DAP when I transferred it to the secondary today. I had a hard time separating the seeds/pulp/lees from the batch since I didn't use a strainer bag on this batch. I can say, the $5 saved was not worth the trouble to strain it out manually, lol. Live n learn, fresh fruit and concentrates are worlds apart. I added the additional sugar and nutrient because I was concerned that I waited a bit too long to transfer it to the next fermentation cycle. It seems to be alive and well though, so hopefully I'll avoid 4 gallons of berry vinegar. ( Honestly, if it turns to vinegar, all is not lost, I love using different vinegars for cooking). Time to figure out what's next in line. This is about as addicting as reloading, although the results of beer/ wine making and reloading/shooting shouldn't be intertwined.

edit:Looking at it today, it's bubbling away which means at this point it's producing even more alcohol! :)
    It already had a pretty strong ethanol smell to it. WHOOHOO! This weekend I'm gonna grab some feed corn and start malting it. Once it's malted I may smoke it with some alder or apple. Then on to another project.
    Last edited by Rev_Les; 11-11-2015 at 06:56 PM.

I just saw this old thread....that wine came out excellent. I have one gallon left waiting for this Christmas.