“Wolfgang

Thread: UH-1 Huey

Preferred Site Supporter OysterMan's Avatar

UH-1 Huey

Was music browsing YouTube for some Rolling Stones and today came across this video, and it reminded me of how grateful I am for all our Vets. I am fully aware that some of our most esteemed members here are Vietnam era Veterans, from MP's to Slick pilots, and Vietnam can be a sensitive subject. But to all the Vets of that war I want to say a heartfelt Thank You. These days Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans get a lot of... and most definitely deserved... praise and attention. However I for one have not and will never forget the service of the Vietnam Vets in a war Washington didn't want to win and then wanted us to forget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QNlebUDb8U

VIP Site Benefactor
    RETIRED

Re: UH-1 Huey

Only one word....................AWESOME!!!!
    WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T SAY?

CERTIFIED ARMED INFIDEL
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

"WHEN THE GOVERNMENT TAKES AWAY THE CITIZEN'S RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS, IT BECOMS THE CITIZEN'S DUTY TO TAKE AWAY THE GOVERNMENT'S RIGHT TO GOVERN" GEORGE WASHINGTON

Good stuff! I was a kid at that time but I always backed our troops. Even as a kid I saw right through the hippie BS.
    Certified Armed Infidel
    كافر

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

Iam sure this brought back some memories for several. Hope they weren't bad ones. That you just enjoyed the music .

I flew on those Huey's sometimes . My main flying was in the back seat of O-1 Bird dog. Single engine on a good day might get 90MPH Cessna. Looking for Charlie or NVA camps or movement. Then they get a visit from arty ,airstrikes gunships or airforce. . We did other jobs radio relay for SF or other units that were out of their radio range. We just hang loose incase they needed help . I always felt was a boring job I wanted on the ground and in on the action. Yep got that and over 30 days in hospital, and my VC pop up target badge. 2nd tour I wasn't so gung ho I stayed with the birds and now Tec Inspector in maintance or a flight line chief with 8 crew chief's and birds to watch over.
    But last 5 years of my service was the Best I transferred to MP's war over and to many aviation people. I really enjoyed state side as a MP . Well time for Archie & Edith and Those were the days song. To bad America has lost it way since those days . The hippies won . Their all over in the Government today. Commie bastards they are.
    Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Administrator
    VIP Site Supporter

Where Did all those shiny painted ships come from, I guess Vietnam went down hill after I left. Long sleeved shirts? We all had O.D. T shirts as uniforms, the color matched the O.D. FLAT paint on our Huey's. We had UH-1 A, B and some C short fuselage Bell 204 models, that video was mostly UH1-D and F models long fuselage Bell 205's

Mine was a UH-1 B gunship and was in the front was painted Mr. Ed's ass with the tail raised. The other ships had "Quick Draw McGraw, Road Runner, and many other designs painted on by the motor pool and designated by the pilots who flew them. We at that time didn't have the division designation on the front, it was on the back end or the tail boom.

Before those rocket pods where put on my ship I had spray pods that used Agent Orange. I was one of the first dudes to fly the circle around Ahn Ke's 17 mile perimeter and spray the foliage so they could set the concertina wire up. After landing I would lift the 5gal cans up and refill the pods, THEN EAT my rations with that shit all over them.

I guess there was allot of changes made after I left in 66, we were renegades. We followed our mission orders but nothing else. You would never know we were part of the US Army, more like a gang flying our colors doing our thing and taking crap from no one. The real boss was the Sargent Major, he ran the show not us warrants, or the officers. He was the head of our gang, I liked him. I don't tell war stories, just painting the picture of how it was in those early days.
    In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald Carstairs View Post
    Where Did all those shiny painted ships come from
    Good question RC, never saw anybody giving their Huey a coat of wax!

Administrator
    VIP Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoJ View Post
    Good question RC, never saw anybody giving their Huey a coat of wax!
    LOL, No but the Huey waxed some VC
    In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

Well I won best ship in company several times . Hey was a day off and allowed to go to town from noon to 1700 back inside wire.

I used a pump sprayer with mixture of avn gas and motor oil Spray on and wipe down Gave a nice shine and didn't collect much dirt . I ordered disk hubcaps from supply Painted red with black Iron cross . Couldn't stand the od floor I painted floor of my ship red and black checker board. Peddles and joy stick were black.

We were not allowed to paint names on out side. But that didn't hold true for our CO . He had a picture of some hooker on door and her name painted . It had habit of getting damaged . He was also a a$$ and relived of his command. Was sort of a munity in company. A letter was drafted and all enlisted other than 1sgt and majority of officers signed . One member of company was friends with then Gov of MI Romney . It was sent and short time later. A LT COL assumed command and CO was gone. Then was a formation informing us that what we had done could be considered Munity, and we all could face charges. If ever happened again.

This was 67 when the real war started They held me back in 66 So 2nd string Cav. had a change to get some training Then released the 1st string in 67 . All I know is when I left in 68 we were winning . Then I had to go back in 71 to get things right again

Those were the days my friend

And you knew who you were then
    Girls were girls and men were men
    Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d8FTPv955I
    Last edited by Michael T; 09-29-2015 at 08:30 PM.
    Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Semi Automatic vee_dubya_diesel's Avatar

My first assignment out of Flight School (1984) was flying Huey's in the First Cav at Fort Hood. What a great experience. Some years later as an Apache pilot, my first combat mission in the First Gulf War was to fly the Brigade Commander's Huey on a "get there now, take my aircraft" coordination job...so my first "Combat Flight Hours" in the logbook are in that sweet machine. I do miss them, and flying in general...
    Firestorm UC9mm
    My 2000 New Beetle was the y2k bug that everyone was worried about...
    NOW proud owner of a 2003 Jetta GLS TDI in Navy Blue

Never rode the choppers. I was on the Merchant ships....saw a lot of choppers in the sky.
    Certified Armed Infidel

I see one of those every morning.. it's parked across the street.

MY unit - First of the Ninth!

From Apocalypse Now - Ride of the Valkyries - The attack on the village.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKaY...&nohtml5=False
    Well Armed Christian Soldier!

Super Moderator
    VIP Site Benefactor

This explains why you old farts drive the way you do now.
    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.