TruRecoil Bersa Discount
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo for BERSA THUNDER 9 UC Pro

Ammo for BERSA THUNDER 9 UC Pro

Thinking about buying a Thunder 9 UC in the next week or so. I had wanted to get a Thunder Plus but I haven't seen any decent .380 ammo for sale for over a year. (I don't want to deplete my stock of .380 unless I can replace it.)

Thunder 9UC seems the way to go. 9mm... I can occasionally find, though but not in the brands I usually fire.

Here's my question. Is the Thunder 9UC picky about what ammo it fires? What are it's likes and dislikes?

Extra question: What's a good price for this pistol? (I'm looking at $465 out the door.)

"Damn it, Jim. I'm a doctor, not a gunsmith!" (Leonard "Bones" McCoy)

Preferred Site Supporter brojohn's Avatar

Re: Ammo for BERSA THUNDER 9 UC Pro

Can't say on if its picky on ammo- I don't have one. Last one I saw here in Mobile was $479 + tx 9%= $522.11

GunGenie has some right now- lowest price here is $491 otd.

Moderator & Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

I've shot several brands through mine with no problem. I'd say most were the brands you'll see at Walmart. Your $465 OTD is a good price. It runs about $500+ in this area from Davidson's dealers.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

I can say that my wife's has ate everything I fed it from powder puff mouse fart loads to screamers. I have loaded 115-147gr weights with round nose, hollow point and trunicated cone.. So pretty sure they will run any factory ammo as well.

I have run more than a few different brands of 9mm through my Bersa 9UC. It eats everything I feed it, all too quickly. I think the MSRP is around $535??
    TO BE UNARMED IS TO BE A VICTIM ... SUPPORT THE NRA

I buy whatever is on sale, or whatever happens to be on the shelf at the time. I havent had any problems running any factory ammo through my UCPro9 at all. You're going to love that gun.

MitchR: Walmart hasn't had any ammo for over a year, unless you're talkin' odd-ball rifle stuff. No .22LR, no. 380, no 9mm... nothing. Cabela's... same thing. We're pretty dry here in NW Washington. Well, sometimes they get a little .22LR... but the "neck-beards" are waiting at the counter at 0530hrs to grab it all up and re-sell it on-line.

From what I've gleaned other from gun forums Soren, Oregon has ammo. Why Wa. state doesn't, who knows? No wait... one shop does get some PMC every once in a while but they want $38 per box of 50 and I'm not playing that game. My .380CC's are sort of finicky with what they'll eat, but I'll buy 9mm on-line as long as this pistol will fire what I consider odd-ball brands.

Thanks for the info, gentlemen.

Moderator & Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

I believe Walmart inventories are controlled by the bean counters at corporate, but I think some Walmarts have managers with enough sand to complain. We have 3 Walmarts in Longview & I only find ammo in one of them. For the last 2-3 months it has always had at least .40S&W & .45ACP & occasionally 9mm, but the other 2 never have anything but shotgun ammo.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Over 3000 rounds of a little bit of everything and not one hiccup!! It ain't fussy, it just eats it too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Wespe View Post
    From what I've gleaned other from gun forums Soren, Oregon has ammo. Why Wa. state doesn't, who knows? No wait... one shop does get some PMC every once in a while but they want $38 per box of 50 and I'm not playing that game. My .380CC's are sort of finicky with what they'll eat, but I'll buy 9mm on-line as long as this pistol will fire what I consider odd-ball brands.
    About a year ago, it was the other way around. I use to talk my boss into letting me go up to our Seattle branch for work once every couple of weeks just so I could stop in at Cabellas and Sportco and pick up whatever I could. Lately, it seems that the smaller stores around here (Bi-Mart, Fisherman's Marine, Big-5) have the most 9mm and .45acp.

Mini Gun

There's plenty of reasonably priced ammo online http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/pistol/9mm/ and purchased in quanity it will easily cover the hasmat fee for shipping.

My 9HC eats anything and has a large appetite. That's why I started reloading and have weathered this ammo crisis really well. Can shoot when I want and am building 9MM JHP for approx. $0.19/round using recycled brass.
    Have not been able to find any decent priced ammo for .380. Getting a order of 500 shells, 500 CMJ (100gr) bullets in today for the new .380. Got the reloading dies last week. Estimate cost of reloading .380 will be $0.25/round until I start using the brass again then cost will drop to $0.16/round.
    Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Instructor, IDPA
    NRA Pistol Trainer
    NRA Range Safety Officer

I have four (one is mini Firestorm), one is unfired, but the three shoot anything I have put in them. The only exception may have been Win White box truncated but that may have been with one of the .380's. Our Wal-marts in the region have been getting Federal 100 fmj for $25.77. Still shooting some Georgia Arms reman that was about the same price from a gun show. They use mil and le one time fired brass.

Mine will eat anything I feed it now. I did have a few FTF durring the initial break in, and I am sorry I don't remember what brand ammo it was. It was only a few times and only in the first few hundred rounds. Several thousand rounds since have been 100% flawless no matter the brand.

I'd expect some hiccups during break-in; that's what the break-in period's for. 200-300 rds for break-in would put a bit of a dent in my reserve stash that would take a while to build back up. All is good, though... found a site last night that actually had some Magtech so I ordered a bulk shipment. My .380s love Magtech. (now, if only I could find some of that)

Mini Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
    My 9HC eats anything and has a large appetite. That's why I started reloading and have weathered this ammo crisis really well. Can shoot when I want and am building 9MM JHP for approx. $0.19/round using recycled brass.
    Have not been able to find any decent priced ammo for .380. Getting a order of 500 shells, 500 CMJ (100gr) bullets in today for the new .380. Got the reloading dies last week. Estimate cost of reloading .380 will be $0.25/round until I start using the brass again then cost will drop to $0.16/round.
    Won't a case trimmer let you cut down 9mm to 380 length, then you never run out of brass. when the 9s get too thin they get trimmed to 380s.

Quote Originally Posted by garwha View Post
    Won't a case trimmer let you cut down 9mm to 380 length, then you never run out of brass. when the 9s get too thin they get trimmed to 380s.
    I am pretty sure that wouldn't be good. Isn't the 9mm a tapered case including wall thickness? ANyhow the base demensions are different anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wespe View Post
    I'd expect some hiccups during break-in; that's what the break-in period's for. 200-300 rds for break-in would put a bit of a dent in my reserve stash that would take a while to build back up. All is good, though... found a site last night that actually had some Magtech so I ordered a bulk shipment. My .380s love Magtech. (now, if only I could find some of that)
    These guys have .380 ammo in stock. It's not Magtech and the price is only OK, but they have it in stock.

http://www.laxammo.com/ammunition/38...-380ema/47-763

I've never bought anything from them, so I can't say anything about the company.

Quote Originally Posted by gtgeorge View Post
    I am pretty sure that wouldn't be good. Isn't the 9mm a tapered case including wall thickness? ANyhow the base demensions are different anyway.
    Yea, there is a lot of difference between .380 and 9mm brass. The one that I thought might work is cutting down .223 brass to make .380 It's a lot closer, but I still don't think it would work.

I hand load all of my ammo. I have loaded a variety of bullet types for my 9UC, including round nose in FMJ and cast lead, truncated cone, round nose/flat point, jacketed hollow point, etc. My Bersa swallows all of it, with no feeding problems whatsoever. In fact, I have never had a feed or extraction/ejection problem of any kind with my 9UC. So, no, the 9UC does not seem finicky at all, as regards ammo type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast