“Making “Wolfgang

Thread: Why do People elect the same people to Congress

Why do People elect the same people to Congress

Just 13 percent of Americans, according to a Gallup poll say Congress does a Good job!. Yet Americans continue to vote the same people back into office. Far too many don't vote at all. "We have met the enemy and they are Us"
    http://news.yahoo.com/congressional-...185248987.html
    TO BE UNARMED IS TO BE A VICTIM ... SUPPORT THE NRA

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

Re: Why do People elect the same people to Congress

Some people may say the congress, as a group, are doing a poor job, but still believe their particular congressman is okay. With Cruz as one on my senators, I'd fall in that group, although I'm beginning to question Cornyn. Too many people don't really pay attention to what their particular congressman is doing, just complain about the end result of legislation that is/not passed. Others pay no attention to politics at all & if they vote, merely vote for whatever name is familiar to them & that will likely be an incumbent.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

When we have a good one- I vote to keep them in.
    And when we get a bad one- I vote against them.

Here we have had 2 good senators for a long time, and a barely acceptable Rep- that I voted against. Unfortunately we just got a bad Rep for the tail end of Jo Bonner's term. I will vote against him next election.
    I am a firm believer in that you should never-ever vote out a good senator or rep because he has served more than 2 terms- you vote him out when you have a better one- that can win!

No offense to our good friends up north and out west, but people like me are not the problem. The problem is people like those up in Mass and out in Cal who keep voting for Teddy "Dunk 'em" Kenedy, Bahney Fwankfritter, and Diane Frankenstein.
    I live in Alabama- we have 7 Representatives in the House- California has 53. We are outnumbered nearly 8:1. We must select only the best, and keep them as long as we can. The opposition keeps their bad ones forever- we should keep our good ones.

edit: Most importantly- "know" your senator and rep. Do not judge them by what passed or did not pass the house or senate- judge them by how "they" voted.

Just one word "Sheep" .

Ted Kennedy is not a big problem anymore. He died 4 1/2 years ago. Barney Frank retired and is no longer in office as well.

Edited to add - I think a major problem is that people don't participate in picking their party's candidates. You get to the poll and the choices are the Republican, the Democrat, and sometimes the listing of independents, small party people, etc. You don't want to vote for the party you don't agree with, so you pinch your nose and vote for the one that seems the lesser of two evils.

People need to get more involved before going to the poll. If they don't like their own candidates either, then get more involved en masse and get some new blood from your own party running. Special interests get to buy their representatives because the voters don't participate nearly enough in candidate selection.
    Last edited by Waddams; 01-16-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

One problem is it takes so much money to run, only the independently wealthy or those backed by the wealthy can afford to run. That's why the people with money are the ones that select the candidates. I want MT to run, but I don't have any money so he won't listen to me.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

VIP Site Supporter BigCityChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waddams View Post
    Ted Kennedy is not a big problem anymore. He died 4 1/2 years ago. Barney Frank retired and is no longer in office as well.

Edited to add - I think a major problem is that people don't participate in picking their party's candidates. You get to the poll and the choices are the Republican, the Democrat, and sometimes the listing of independents, small party people, etc. You don't want to vote for the party you don't agree with, so you pinch your nose and vote for the one that seems the lesser of two evils.

People need to get more involved before going to the poll. If they don't like their own candidates either, then get more involved en masse and get some new blood from your own party running. Special interests get to buy their representatives because the voters don't participate nearly enough in candidate selection.
    Exactly! You are right on target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitchr View Post
    One problem is it takes so much money to run, only the independently wealthy or those backed by the wealthy can afford to run. That's why the people with money are the ones that select the candidates.
    And because of this we vote exactly who they want into office. They really don't care who wins as there man will get in regardless of which party wins. That is why the lines between parties is smaller every year. As Marty states we are sheep. The ultra rich control the real agenda. We are becoming more slavelike each year. Our elected officials have no power, they are slaves of the party that got them there and that parties agenda. They have to vote the way they are told or they and their families lives are in danger. Our Supreme court justices are threatened in the same way. The control belongs to the rich.

Super Moderator
    VIP Site Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by ParaCav View Post
    "We have met the enemy and they are Us"

That Pogo guy was a pretty smart possum!

Preferred Site Supporter Rev_Les's Avatar

No need to explain my point of view, it seems most of us think alike. I'm with Mitchr on Cruz and Cornyn. Remember Texans, Republican primaries are coming up, and if we want anyone decent running in the big race, we need to weed out the anointed ones now.

VIP Site Supporter Rollin Thunder's Avatar

Why do People Elect the same people to Congress? ................because we're stupid.
    Don't worry about the guns, send lawyers and money.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident, which everyone has decided not to see.”
    Ayn Rand

They all are bad for the most part. That's the problem.
    Gunowner99
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    Bersa Thunder 380 Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ParaCav View Post
    Just 13 percent of Americans, according to a Gallup poll say Congress does a Good job!. Yet Americans continue to vote the same people back into office. Far too many don't vote at all. "We have met the enemy and they are Us"
    http://news.yahoo.com/congressional-...185248987.html
    Because they are lazy. If there is a D next to the name that's all they vote for, and the same goes for the R next to the name. If they did there home work and checked out the people running for the job than maybe we could get the right people in office.
    NRA Life Member
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club member 72-75
    Don't take life too seriously, No one makes it out alive
    anyway.