TruRecoil Bersa Discount
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Striker-Fired or Hammer fire?

Re: Striker-Fired or Hammer fire?

Quote Originally Posted by garwha View Post
    It's clear to see you have not tried the double tap with the BP9CC. I prefer the DA/SA at the range, and SA only my favorite at the range, but in a combative shootout a great DA only will beat most with the first round to target, and the best will double tap just great.
    You referring to me????

Quote Originally Posted by ParaCav View Post
    I prefer hammer fired. Always have, just a personal preference. I have had two striker fired handguns and didn't have them long, not because they were striker fired, but for other reasons. You can't bring hammer/striker rifles into a handgun discussion. Totally different application and evolution of the semi-auto rifle. I have yet to find a semi-auto hammer fired rifle. Single shot and lever action rifles are about it. Shotguns are the same scenario.

If I look in side my AR-15 I see a hammer
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

KILL the amnesty bill

SECURE our borders

DEPORT all illegals

ENFORCE current laws

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Super Moderator
    VIP Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
    If I look in side my AR-15 I see a hammer
    Right on Michael, if we are going to talk rifles the AR's firing pin is struck by a bad A$$ hammer. No striker in that puppy.

Bolt action mostly striker, Some old antiques have hammers .... semi auto rifles mostly hammer fired with a basic floating firing pin and simple spring. (Quite KISS)
    Life Member.. My Second Amendment Voice.

Mini Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Drillnow View Post
    You referring to me????
    It's true. Example a Khar drives the striker back each time the trigger is pulled, and on that one you would be right, but most, not all, are reset by the slide action, and with some like the BP9CC has a trigger reset for the next round like a DA/SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillnow View Post
    Striker-Fired or Hammer fire? Which ever one that will do double taps. The striker fired I have tried will not. I like my Sig 229 E2 and my Bersa UC the best, both 9's My view.
    Double tap or double strike? Are you meaning a double strike on the primer? A double tap is a controlled pair of shot, two shots as quickly as you can pull the trigger and accurately hit the target. I have yet to see a handgun, besides a single shot, which cannot do a double tap, some faster than others of course.

Double striking the primer may or may not be a good thing, there are several lines of thought upon it. Some like the ability to strike a primer a second time if it does not fire the first time. Others think that if it did not fire the first time, it is unlikely to the second time. So a double strike is a waste of valuable time. They believe it is best to eject the round and go from there because most of the time you are going to be doing so anyways.

I tend to be in the second camp and do not think a double strike is a good technique, but that is personal opinion. This is also a good argument for a revolver over double strike capability, the revolver is faster and surer of a fast second shot on a misfire.
    Last edited by lee1959; 08-14-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Mini Gun

This was all about the follow up rounds, and not a misfire. Now there is no question that the best thing for unreliable ammo is a revolver, as it can advance to the next round without racking the slide, just pull the trigger, and no ejection problems, but all those double action revolvers have that long trigger pull unless you take the time to manually cock the hammer.

I too am old school, and had to do my research before I could warm up to a SA striker gun, but I am very serious about being able to get the first round on target from the holster at the greatest speed, and this is why my EDC is now a BP9CC.

Semi Automatic

Yep on the revolver until you're faced with getting a cylinder stuck on a high primer or other blockage issue that affects cylinder advancement or restriction causing a light hammer strike on the primer, etc...then an auto loader is much easier / quicker to clear...depends. I'm old school as well in my preference for visual indication that a hammer offers.

Quote Originally Posted by garwha View Post
    This was all about the follow up rounds, and not a misfire. Now there is no question that the best thing for unreliable ammo is a revolver, as it can advance to the next round without racking the slide, just pull the trigger, and no ejection problems, but all those double action revolvers have that long trigger pull unless you take the time to manually cock the hammer.

I too am old school, and had to do my research before I could warm up to a SA striker gun, but I am very serious about being able to get the first round on target from the holster at the greatest speed, and this is why my EDC is now a BP9CC.
    Not wishing to argue, but nothing originally was mentioned about either subsequent rounds, or misfires, simply what one prefers. The post I referenced said they prefer whichever could perform a double tap , and I asked what he was referring to, because any multishot handgun can perform a double tap. I assumed he was referring to a double strike and was trying to clear up the question.

Quote Originally Posted by BillACP View Post
    Yep on the revolver until you're faced with getting a cylinder stuck on a high primer or other blockage issue that affects cylinder advancement or restriction causing a light hammer strike on the primer, etc...then an auto loader is much easier / quicker to clear...depends. I'm old school as well in my preference for visual indication that a hammer offers.
    This is true, a revolver can jam, but honestly it occurs far less frequently than a failure in a pistol. I have shot both for close to 40 years and never seen a revolver jam up, but the same cannot be said for pistols, but even pistols have gotten more reliable in those 40 years. That said, I carry pistols concealed more often than revolvers.
    Last edited by lee1959; 08-14-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Semi Automatic

I've seen wheel gun cylinders lock-up (yes, even on factory ammo with high primer seating), timing issues & know of debris / materials interfering with a hammer strike causing repeated failures including one in an on-duty incident...if it does happen, you're screwed with little recourse except retreat, a BUG, blade, impact driver w/ a 1" spade, etc...but just do something - not nothing... :) Also, particular care needs to be taken in up-close reach-in capable encounters if a revolver is presented to a threat as opposed to a push back of a slide attempt...

Mini Gun

Shoot your CCW gun as often as possible, know your gun. I have no doubt my two Bersa's will go bang. If they wouldn't I would not carry either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12