TruRecoil Bersa Discount
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slide will not lock back without mag inserted

Slingshot

Slide will not lock back without mag inserted

I know this has been posted before, but I didn't want to highjack that persons thread. I was finally able to go to the range yesterday and test out my 380cc. I fired about 200 rounds of various ammo, and on my last mag, as we were going cold, I could not lock my slide back to show the safety officer that my pistol was unloaded. It has been thoroughly cleaned, but still has the same issue. The slide will lock to the rear with a magazine inserted, but once removed, slams home. I had some pretty bad jams....fte....ftf....and 4 failure to fire...but this could have been the ammo...second strike did the trick. Double feeds were bad...had 3 of them....I call them double feeds, probably bad terminology. Took me a few minutes to get the slide back, mag out and rounds removed from the chamber. I have a 8 round and 7 round magazine. Everything was cleaned prior. This pistol was going to be my EDC....but I am having doubts now. I will say that it is crazy accurate...couldn't believe I was hitting in a 15" ring from 25 yards with it (I'm no pistol shooter and only get to shoot about 1-2 times a year)! This is troublesome to me, as I also have a 45pro compact and a 9BPCC on layaway. It will be going back to Bersa. I hope they can restore my faith in it. Now to figure out how to ship back to Bersa...never had to send a firearm back to be repaired before.

I forgot to mention that on just about every magazine, the last round would not feed. This was with HP and RN.
    Last edited by sjgusmc21; 01-20-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Re: Slide will not lock back without mag inserted

Are you saying when the slide is locked back and you press the mag release button it triggers the slide to slam forward? Are you also an where near the slide release lever if so? The mag follower pushes up on the slide catch but should not fall just from removal.

Slingshot

Yes....if the slide is locked to the rear with a mag inserted....and I eject the mag, the slide will go home....and I cannot lock the slide to the rear with my slide lock without a mag inserted.

Definitely needs fixin'.
    I'm no expert; I'm just, well...opinionated!

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/

Slingshot

Yeah, kind of figured that, just wanted to make sure. First firearm I have ever owned that I had to return for repair....especially considering it is less than a month old. Not encouraging for sure.

Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

Look in the "Repair Centers Information" tab for a list of warranty centers. The cheapest way to send a handgun in is to let your dealer or FFL do it because he can ship by USPS regular ground. If you ship it direct, you must use UPS or Fedex & they require it go overnight.

Select the place you want to send it, call them to get an idea of how long it will take & take it to your dealer with name & address where you want it to go. Put a note in the box, telling them what is wrong & give them your contact info.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

I sent a gun in for warranty repairs last month & shipped it UPS ground service w/ no problems whatsoever at my nearby UPS-staffed location. I declared it as "firearm" & insured it as well. Cost was approx $18 & this included insurance.

Slingshot

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I know many have had their pistols repaired, it just gripes my @ss to have to go through this, spend more money, and hope to receive a 'fixed' pistol back in a reasonable amount of time, with a brand new firearm. I know, waa, waa.

Again, thank you for your help. I will post back once I receive it and see what they did to it. I will probably be sending it to CGW's, as this seems to be the most preferred GS.

Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    I sent a gun in for warranty repairs last month & shipped it UPS ground service w/ no problems whatsoever at my nearby UPS-staffed location. I declared it as "firearm" & insured it as well. Cost was approx $18 & this included insurance.
    Wierd, but I guess maybe the local managers have some say in the policy or they don't know the rules. My LGS tells me that UPS here will not accept a handgun under any circumstance so he uses Fedex. The Fedex mgr. in Longview stated that they could not handle handguns except on FFL to FFL shipments. He stated even he had to take his pistol to a dealer to get it shipped!
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Quote Originally Posted by mitchr View Post
    Wierd, but I guess maybe the local managers have some say in the policy or they don't know the rules. My LGS tells me that UPS here will not accept a handgun under any circumstance so he uses Fedex. The Fedex mgr. in Longview stated that they could not handle handguns except on FFL to FFL shipments. He stated even he had to take his pistol to a dealer to get it shipped!
    I know, that is weird! There was a young lady who seemed to be pretty new at the customer service desk who did my shipment. Hopefully she did it correctly as it got to Colorado Gun Works & back to me safely. And may I add that CGW has exceptional customer service too, Royce was very helpful!!

Slingshot

I live in Northern VA (spitting distance to DC) and talk about anti-gun....even though VA has some of the friendly gun laws there is. Last year, I called FedEx and UPS about shipping a pistol for me. BOTH said they could not ship a firearm for me. So who was lying? Turned out I didn't need to ship it (1911 I built), but this time I will get an answer.

Slingshot

I was thinking that I could just replace the slide stop and see how it goes from there....$10 or so and no waiting. Of course, Bersa is out of this part for the CC, will any of the other 380 slide stops fit the Bersa 380 CC? Thanks.

On second thought...never mind....ordered the nickel one...that was in stock.
    Last edited by sjgusmc21; 01-21-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

Quote Originally Posted by sjgusmc21 View Post
    I was thinking that I could just replace the slide stop and see how it goes from there....$10 or so and no waiting. Of course, Bersa is out of this part for the CC, will any of the other 380 slide stops fit the Bersa 380 CC? Thanks.

On second thought...never mind....ordered the nickel one...that was in stock.
    For future reference, in a pinch yes it will fit but stick out further. The CC has the controls shaved down some, internally that particular part is the same. The safety is as well. I have installed CC controls on T380's and vice-versa.
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Slingshot

Quote Originally Posted by PHMadness View Post
    For future reference, in a pinch yes it will fit but stick out further. The CC has the controls shaved down some, internally that particular part is the same. The safety is as well. I have installed CC controls on T380's and vice-versa.
    Thanks PHMadness....they had the CC nickel slidestop in stock, so I ordered it, along with the safety and the front take down lever, all in nickel....gives me something to do, matches, makes me learn my pistol better, and they are all CC parts. But good info for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    Hopefully she did it correctly
    She didn't but that's no skin off your nose. You complied with the law by telling her it was a firearm....she mucked up company policy and shipped it ground instead of Next Day Air.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Slingshot

@sjgusmc21 - FWIW... I just purchased TWO brand-new BT380CC's (his & hers) in December. FIRST TRIP TO THE RANGE - <100 rounds through each - in fact, more like 50 each - and I had the same problems you are describing. Multiple bad feeds, HORRID jams that took a lot of time and frankly far more force than I was comfortable with to clear, difficulty (not failure, but difficulty) getting the slides to lock back when the mag was dropped. BOTH pistols also developed an identical issue with the trigger by the end of the day, failing to operate in single-action and only working intermittently in double action. I was able to get the slide to lock if I held it back manually and pushed the slide block up with my thumb as I slowly let it forward. Once I did this, it would hold open on it's own (their own - both guns did this), but would not reliably lock open with the magazine dropped.

I corrected the trigger issue on both weapons myself; upon removing the right grip I discovered a spring-pin (that's all I can think to call it) had come unseated. Put it in place - perfect trigger function restored.

I have not been able to discern the issue with the slide lock. Since mine will stay open if I manually lock them, I haven' worried too much.

Most of the failures were also on the last round or two - though sometimes also just the very first. I have thus far written this off as brand new magazine being stiff, and cheap ammo - I was firing off some steel-cased TulAmmo my buddy bought. We'll see what happens with some Federal/Remington, etc.
    Remember to remind at least one liberal a day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.

Slingshot

Thanks for the reply and comments Almost Jaded. We sound like we purchased the exact same pistols from Inspector #5! :) I wasn't having any trigger issues, no yet anyway. But everything else is spot on with you. I will replace the slide stop and take it from there. I hope to make this my EDC, but it will have to become a heck of a lot more reliable in order to do so.

Slingshot

Mine were both inspected by #8. Interesting, because they are DRAMATICALLY different serial numbers and purchased from different states; the serial numbers - if they're ordered - indicate at least a year or two between build dates.

Anyway - read my reply in the "reliability" thread (http://www.bersachat.com/forums/show...bersa-firearms - post #20) for the results of my poking around. Most likely your new catch will solve the problem, but this looks like a design flaw from the factory.
    Remember to remind at least one liberal a day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.

Slingshot

I received my parts today....slide lock, safety lever and slide release lever (only slide lock needed replaced but for the price, figure I would do them all in nickel). Replaced the slide lock, took all of a few seconds, and works like it originally did. BTW...the slide release lever is almost as easy to remove and replace, and so is the safety lever. Figured out I can't remove the firing pin unless I remove the extractor...and not messing with that at this point. So, will have to see how it performs at my next range trip, which God only knows when that will be. Will post when I do though, and again, thank you all for your help and input! Semper Fi!

Slingshot

FWIW I am having the same problem, after running about 300 rounds. I started googling and can see this is a very common problem with these pistols. The part of the slide lock lever that engages the notch in the slide seems to be soft aluminium and gets rounded over to the point that is slips. I have been using the slingshot method so I don't think it is use of the lever as a release mechanism that is causing the wear. This is a design flaw and I hope Bersa will correct it. They should make that part out of good hard steel.

Edit:
    I went ahead and ordered a couple replacement slide catches and springs.
    Last edited by DHPBersa; 02-18-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast