TruRecoil Bersa Discount

Thread: Legal for hunting???

Legal for hunting???

Had a friend over tonite. We were discussing gun control, what else. He stated that AK's, AR's, Tec-9's etc were not legal hunting rifles in any State. i don't know so I couldn't make a rebuttle. I tried to google it but came up with nothing. So I will bring it here and find out for sure.
    TO BE UNARMED IS TO BE A VICTIM ... SUPPORT THE NRA

Re: Legal for hunting???

.They are used for hunting. Remember now days the AR comes in many calibers other than 5:56 . In Ky last I looked it only said had to be center fire caliber for deer. Best not to have a 20 or 30 round mag I think I have a 5 or 10 round AR mag some place. Since last Tec-9 I saw was a pistol I think that might be frowned on. In some places.

Do a search and you will find the AR even legal in IL for coyote
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

KILL the amnesty bill

SECURE our borders

DEPORT all illegals

ENFORCE current laws

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Machine Gun PerpetualConstruction's Avatar

In Ohio, deer hunting with rifles is verboten. Squirrels are restricted to rimfire. HOWEVER, you can hunt pigs and yotes with whatever the he!! you want, unless it is deer shotgun season, then you can only hunt them with weapons/ammo legal for dear: shotgus, muzzle loaders, some pistols. Pistols have minimum caliber of .357, so you couldn't get away with an AR pistol for deer.
    3rd Degree Blackbelt in Klik Pao.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to the do the job"

Squirrels are restricted to rimfire
    never understood that If you miss the tree rat the 22LR is going to travel a long way before coming down . Using a shot gun lot safer.
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

KILL the amnesty bill

SECURE our borders

DEPORT all illegals

ENFORCE current laws

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Flintlock

Well here in AZ you can hunt just about anything with any center fire riffle (that has less than three barrels). Heck, last law session we even remove magazine restrictions and even allow supressors now.

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

Quote Originally Posted by ParaCav View Post
    Had a friend over tonite. We were discussing gun control, what else. He stated that AK's, AR's, Tec-9's etc were not legal hunting rifles in any State.
    In short, he's fulla crap. Some people have some seriously silly notions about what is not legal. The sad thing is they pass these silly notions on to other people.
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Quote Originally Posted by PHMadness View Post
    In short, he's fulla crap. Some people have some seriously silly notions about what is not legal. The sad thing is they pass these silly notions on to other people.
    Agree! 5.56x45 makes a great coyote round. Sure you could argue their might be a better weapon to use, but it is the most common in my area.
    "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine

Legal here in Wisconsin. We do have some shotgun only areas (higher population areas), but I know several folks who use AR's.
    NRA Life Benefactor Member
    Help Protect Your Rights, Join the NRA today!
    Thunder 380 DuoTone & Matte

In Wyoming a 5.56 AR is not legal for deer. Not because it's an AR, but because the bullet is only .22 calibur. In other words Wyoming thinks it's too wimpy for deer.

In Tennessee, you can’t shoot any game other than whales from a moving automobile. Neither can you use a lasso to catch a fish.
    "A Bible that's falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't." --Charles Spurgeon

Preferred Site Supporter teecro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ParaCav View Post
    Had a friend over tonite. We were discussing gun control, what else. He stated that AK's, AR's, Tec-9's etc were not legal hunting rifles in any State.
    Your friend would be dead wrong... Too the best of my knowledge there is no specific law in any state against hunting with an AK, SKS, AR etc; there may be some area where the caliber itself can not be used and in some area no rifle may be used period only shotguns may be used. I do know that hunting with an AK and/or SKS (7.62 x 39) in LA is legal as I've done it before.

Tony P Crochet

You can't say that here !!!

Here in Ga. it's perfectly legal to hunt with an AR. We can even deer hunt with a 223 which I think is to lite for deer.
    http://www.americanhunter.org/Articl...id=1956&cid=58
    And mines in 6.8 spc. Not very good if you want coyote pelts, but will anchor a whitetail in his tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
    .They are used for hunting. Remember now days the AR comes in many calibers other than 5:56 . In Ky last I looked it only said had to be center fire caliber for deer. Best not to have a 20 or 30 round mag I think I have a 5 or 10 round AR mag some place. Since last Tec-9 I saw was a pistol I think that might be frowned on. In some places.
    Do a search and you will find the AR even legal in IL for coyote
    I knew that most rifles of appropriate caliber are legal in IL for Coyotes, but I wasn't aware the AR was. He and I have both used a 30-30 and his Mini 14 on Coyotes. I should have specified that we were talking about Deer hunting - My Bad. For other game I think the only legal rifles are 22's for squirrels and black powder for Deer. Some hand guns are also legal for Deer. At least this was the case the last time I checked into it. We are both FOG's and haven't hunted for many years. Doesn't take long to get out of touch with things. Anyway he owes me a beer n burger because he lost the bet.

Edit: Thanks all for the G-2. I knew I would get right answers here.
    Last edited by ParaCav; 12-23-2012 at 10:05 AM.
    TO BE UNARMED IS TO BE A VICTIM ... SUPPORT THE NRA

I have a VEPR in 7.62X39, (the one with the nice walnut thumbhole stock) and it is damn near the perfect hog hunting / brush rifle. And it is 100% legal. It also has enough stopping power for deer, maybe not the range of a true deer rifle but since I have access to a heavily wooded area with small fields and clearings I won't be taking any shots over 100 yards anyways.

Considering that AR's are now considered "dangerous and deserving of restrictions", AK's and their variants are EVIL and I'm going to hell anytime now.
    http://georgiacarry.org/
    The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It's perfectly legal to hunt with an AR or AK in WV. However, you are limited to 5 rounds with whatever you are using.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; You'll go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

Preferred Site Supporter Falcon's Avatar

Ar's, Ak's, SKS, all legal to hunt with in Alabama as long as you use a 5 round mag. No more that 5 rounds an any rifle used to hunt with.

I took a 164 pound 8 point with my AR on the 28th of November. 150 yards, one shot using 64 grain Winchester Soft point ammo. It went right through with a nice quarter size exit hole. Took out lungs and rear of the heart He went 20 yards and dropped dead. It's all about shot placement. It's the only gun I'm hunting with this deer season. Cheaper that my .270 ammo that I hunt with.
    Stop pissing me off, I'm running out of places to hide all the bodies.!!!!!!!

The second amendment says NOTHING about hunting. The purpose (or at least the one explicitly stated purpose) of INDIVIDUAL gun ownership is the security of the free state. One might argue that an AR is not needed for that purpose. One might argue that in today's world an AR is ESPECIALLY suited for that purpose. At the extreme, one might argue that every citizen should be required to own one. Regardless, having a discussion about hunting is a distraction that plays directly into their hands.

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

Quote Originally Posted by douggreen View Post
    The second amendment says NOTHING about hunting. The purpose (or at least the one explicitly stated purpose) of INDIVIDUAL gun ownership is the security of the free state. One might argue that an AR is not needed for that purpose. One might argue that in today's world an AR is ESPECIALLY suited for that purpose. At the extreme, one might argue that every citizen should be required to own one. Regardless, having a discussion about hunting is a distraction that plays directly into their hands.
    There is truthiness here.
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Mini Gun

Texas only hunting firearm restriction are no rimfire for deer, and no pellet guns on game animals, and shot rules on migratory. AR .223. 100 round mag, and a silencer no problem, pocket .32, unregulated, it's centerfire rule only. Texas, freedom rules, for the most part.