TruRecoil Bersa Discount
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus or Ruger 1911 .45 caliber?

Taurus or Ruger 1911 .45 caliber?

I'm debating between the two. I like the looks of the Taurus in blued finish (looks black), but don't like the white writing on it (picky, picky).

The two guns are within about $50.00 of each other. The Taurus got great customer reviews on Bud's, mostly five stars. Rugers have a reputation for toughness, but they don't seem to be as readily available, for some reason.

Which one would you choose, and why?
    "Happiness is a warm gun". Lennon/McCartney

Re: Taurus or Ruger 1911 .45 caliber?

American Classic is the ANSWER Taurus never the answer In you choice I say Ruger . My Choice American Classic better than either.

Stay with the family Eagle imports the AC I own the American Classic board AmericanGirl their as rest of family same friends here and their. Whats not to like.
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

Uninstalling Obama......... ███████████████▒ 95% complete. ALERT!!!! SYSTEM HAS CRASHED OVER LOADED WITH FREELOADERS

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

Between the two I would take the Ruger 10 times over. Let the Taurus lovers scream snob, but they just aren't a good quality piece. For inexpensive I would go with one of the Phillipine manufacturers. The AC's like Michael mentions or an Armscor made brand would serve you well and are made in any style you can imagine unless you're looking at that pimp Taurus, no one else does THAT, fortunately.
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Preferred Site Supporter Lobo0902's Avatar

Ruger has a good reputation as you mention, but they are new to the 1911 world and so it seems hard to find reviews on them. Taurus seems to not be trusted by a lot of folks, including here. I havn't owned either of these guns, so I can't really vouch for either. My uncle has had several taurus models, 2 had problems, 1 he sent to Taurus and the fixed it, no problem. the other he sent to Taurus and they replaced, again no problem. With that being said, I bought an RIA when I was considering this same options. Later I came across an AC Amigo and that looked to be a nice option too. I think the extra dollars for the Taurus or Ruger is to help pay for their advertisement.
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Bersa Thunder 40HC Pro
    Kahr CW9
    Rock Island 1911 9mm Tactical
    Kimber Pro Aegis II 9mm

Mini Gun

I have been very impressed with the things I have read about the new Ruger 1911, I expect it will be a top shooter and we will see them turning up in compitition. Gunbroker had a few on there site with a 100 discount buy it now price, and 20 shipping, which sounds fair on a hard to get gun. I am temped myself.

Ruger= 100% American made also.

Matchlock

Go w/ a Rock Island Armory and save a hundreds of dollars. Taurus is low quality company and the Ruger is A) too new, and B) made by a company w/ little experience w/ the 1911 style.

2-cents more............ more and more manufacturers are over-extending themselves and trying to make every gun and model that everyone wants. quality is heading downhill, availability is decreasing and the number of trash guns outweighs the ones worth buying by at least 2-to-1. It's sad when you can't buy a S&W 66 anymore or a S&W revolver that is as good as the ones made 30 years ago and still shooting but you can get the Sigma or SD line.

Why is Remington making AR-15's? Why is Mossberg making rifles? Why is Sig making crappy composites "modular" jokes ( 250 )? Why is a Browning Hi-Power w/ no modern features listing for MSRP $1000? Why does Khar think it's a Kimber?

generally frustrated.........

flame away......

thanks for reading this far....

VIP Site Supporter Rollin Thunder's Avatar

Not true.

http://gunsgunsguns.net/ruger-sr1911/

...Ruger has actually been at the 1911 game for some time. Ruger turns out major components for other firearms companies and has been building the frames for one highly regarded manufacturer of 1911s for several years.
    If you can see the big picture, you’re not concentrating on the front sight.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident, which everyone has decided not to see.”
    Ayn Rand

Special Preferred Supporter JONESN's Avatar

Id go with the COLT!

Quote Originally Posted by JONESN View Post
    Id go with the COLT!
    There ya go again using 4 letter words Jonesn. AMIGO saves money and gets you through more ammo quicker.

Bill

"Illegitimi non est carborundum!"

"A govt who doesn't trust law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms, itself is unworthy of trust."----James Madison

My $.02, I think I read that the Taurus will not except standard 1911 mags and are magazine specific, and not all parts are interchangeable with standard 1911's, which means if you want to make any changes you have to buy parts made specifically for Taurus. The RIA's are made to series 70 specs and the parts are interchangeable. If I had only two choices, between Taurus & Ruger, it would be Ruger hands down!!! If you go to www.armscorusa.com , they have a couple of good videos, one of them shows how to completely disassemble and reassemble their 1911. Most cases you get what you pay for, but the RIA is supposed to be a little known gem.

Here in NJ we have to wait 30 days between pistol purchases and we have to apply for each permit with a 90 day shelf life. In other words we can only get 3 permits at a time and then we have to reapply for more. My next purchase will be next Wed. I will be picking up a Ruger LCR, and my purchase after that will be a Citadel compact 1911, which is made in the same plant as the RIA. It is basically just an upgraded RIA. Blued instead of parkerized, 2 mags instead of 1. And a little easier to find around here.

Good luck on whatever you get!

Preferred Site Supporter teecro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hare Trigger View Post
    My $.02, I think I read that the Taurus will not except standard 1911 mags and are magazine specific, and not all parts are interchangeable with standard 1911's, which means if you want to make any changes you have to buy parts made specifically for Taurus
    Magazine wize you are incorrect. Taurus does use an odd locking setup on their hammer but it can be removed and replaced with most any other brand. Taurus does have a slightly wider frame front to back in the grip area but it will except standard 1911 grips that are relieved for an ambi safety.

Tony P Crochet

You can't say that here !!!

I thank all you guys for your inputs. I've done a little more research and I'm sorta leaning toward the Ruger. I haven't found ANY negatives about the gun.

Here's a quote from gunblast.com:

"The Ruger SR1911 is a quality pistol that could compete with any other quality 1911 pistol, even if it was priced like its competition. However, for an American-made 1911 of this quality at this price, the SR1911 has no competition."

That's pretty strong, guys. If you want to read the entire review: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911.htm

I'm gonna take a half-day off from work tomorrow and go touch one. Again, I appreciate everyone's viewpoints. I'll keep you posted on what I do.

I was first shown the new Ruger SR1911 back in early December of 2010. I had the opportunity, along with a handful of other writers, to shoot the new Ruger at Gunsite Academy in Paulden, Arizona, and also to tour the Ruger factory in Prescott,
    Give me a expense paid vacation to shoot at gunsite and a tour of factory . All this way be for introduction and I would write nice things also
    Like I never met a Ruger I didn't like. It ran flawless Was accurate and 100% relieable . Best COPY RUGER HAS EVER DONE OF A PISTOL.
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

Uninstalling Obama......... ███████████████▒ 95% complete. ALERT!!!! SYSTEM HAS CRASHED OVER LOADED WITH FREELOADERS

Found this on a different board.

Not to rain on anyone's parade but if you return your pistol to Ruger expect a turn around time of at least 5 weeks. That was my experience with a SR1911 just received back from Ruger after a having a locked up slide with my first magazine of factory ammo.
    LOCKED UP ON FIRST MAG GUESS THEY DIDN'T COPY AS WELL AS I THOUGHT.

Go buy a American Classic or a COLT

"Just say "Lay A Way"

Gun articles are by people who are being paid to write about the gun the mfg. is trying to extol. Take these reports with a large dose of doubt because they are usually very glowing reports about the pistol. Taurus is not a quality product. I tried to sell 1 at our local gun club of over 1500 members and didn't get a reply. Did get lucky and got rid of it. Not many gun shops in the area carry Taurus's products.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I haven't found ANY negatives about the gun.
    There's a good chance you won't be able to find any of the guns either.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Thus far I'm completely pleased with my full size 1911-A1 in matte nickel from Citadel; thus far it has gobbled up everything it has been fed without an issue except for some +P rounds that seemed to bounce the slide stop up.

Tony P Crochet

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I'm debating between the two. I like the looks of the Taurus in blued finish (looks black), but don't like the white writing on it (picky, picky).
    One complaint I've read on the blue Taurus finish is that it is very thin and does not hold up.

Tony P Crochet

Quote Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
    Go buy a American Classic or a COLT
    MT: I'd love to have a Colt, but don't want to spend $1,200.00.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast