TruRecoil Bersa Discount

Thread: How does the bersa 380 CC compare to the LC9?

How does the bersa 380 CC compare to the LC9?

Can anyone that has shot both give me their impressions about the differences and similarities between the two (other than the fact one shoots .380 and the other 9mm ;) )? I currently own an LC9 and I'm thinking of selling it and replacing it with something else with a little less recoil, and the bersa 380 is near the top of my list (probably the CC model so I could still swing pocket carrying it if need be, even though the sights on the regular one look far easier to use).

Any information comparing the two from a firsthand perspective would be greatly appreciated! Especially in terms of recoil, trigger pull, etc.

Thanks!
    Last edited by spotch; 03-13-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Moderator & Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

Re: How does the bersa 380 CC compare to the LC9?

Welcome to Bersa Chat spotch. I have the Bersa CC & my wife has the Thunder .380. I've never shot the LC9 but I'm sure we have some members that have & they should be along shortly. I'm sure either of the Bersas will have considerably less recoil.

The sights on the Thunder .380 are certainly better than on the CC, for sure. To these old eyes, the CC sights are practically non-existant. But, it was not designed for a target pistol, more for an up close point & shoot SD weapon. If you get into a self defense situation, you're not going to be concerned with the perfect sight picture.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Quote Originally Posted by mitchr View Post
    Welcome to Bersa Chat spotch. I have the Bersa CC & my wife has the Thunder .380. I've never shot the LC9 but I'm sure we have some members that have & they should be along shortly. I'm sure either of the Bersas will have considerably less recoil.

The sights on the Thunder .380 are certainly better than on the CC, for sure. To these old eyes, the CC sights are practically non-existant. But, it was not designed for a target pistol, more for an up close point & shoot SD weapon. If you get into a self defense situation, you're not going to be concerned with the perfect sight picture.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Yeah, I figured the recoil might be less because of the less power behind the 380acp, but I wasn't sure how much less... I've heard that the blowback design results in a little more felt recoil than a locked breech design, so that introduces a whole other variable that I don't know about lol.

Moderator & Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

You're right about the blow back thing, but the Bersa also has another 6 oz. of weight to help with it. But, I don't know if that's enough to offset the difference in the platforms. I know my PF9 Keltec is a bear for me to shoot & a huge difference between it & my CC, but it's even lighter than the LC9.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Revolver

I actually sold a brand new LC9 to buy my Bersa Thunder 380. After taxes I paid almost 400 for the LC9 and sold it 2 weeks later for 300, thats how bad I hated it.The LC9 felt good in hand but the Bersa feels better. The LC9 was actually easier to conceal but wow what a looooooong trigger pull. The LC9 was very snappy compared to my Bersa. I am way more accurate with the 380 than the LC9.

Hello spotch,
    My personal cc is an LC9. My wife and I have - and continue to rent - a Bersa 380 at our local range (my wife is thinking of trading her Bodyguard for the Bersa). Two big differences,imo, is the muzzle flip, trigger pull, and the handle/feel of the guns. The LC9 has a lot of muzzle flip along with the moderate recoil. As noted above, the gun has a long trigger pull. My wife does not like the LC9 for those two reasons. Her hands are small and she has a tough time trying to overcome the long somewhat heavy trigger pull - and feel like she can control the muzzle flip/recoil/gun all at the same time - while trying to sight the gun. I have 1000 +/- rounds through the gun and feel like the trigger is very smooth and breaks cleanly. The Bersa has a relatively short trigger pull and is not near as heavy.The LC9 has a slim grip, as opposed to a wider/fatter grip for the Bersa. This makes on feel like you can get a death grip on the Bersa - and in my opinion contributes to almost no muzzle flip from the Bersa in comparison. Personally, I like to pocket carry. The LC9 is slimmer and easier to conceal in my pocket. Both are fine handguns.

CKirkM's comments are excellent! I own both pistols and my impression is that the Bersa Thunder has noticeably less recoil compared to the Ruger LC9. However, I think you have a really good pistol in the LC9 and will end up selling it for $200-225 or even less. It is one of those sales that you will likely regret later. At that price, might as well just keep the LC9 to have the versatility of 9mm cartridge. If you shoot 115 grain MagTech Ammo(excellent quality ammo made in Brazil with lower recoil) you might find the LC9 less snappy. Also limiting shooting to 50 rounds at a session is helpful. I would suggest you simple keep the LC9 and purchase a Bersa Thunder 380. That way you will have two of the finest little carry/shooting guns available on the market.

The LCP, LC9, and Bersa 380's are all good. Their utilization in my opinion are completely different. I have an LCP and pocket carry, for me it is perfect in that use, it is not a range gun. I have shot it enough on the range to be familiar with it (and know I don't like to shoot it) should I ever need to use it. If I was going to holster carry I would carry my Thunder 380.

Thanks for all the responses guys! I haven't made any final decisions yet or anything, so all of this info helps a ton!

Slingshot

I had an LC9 and a PF9. They were jumping barking little beasts. I sold them. I have 2 380's now and a full size 9MM (PT-99 AFS). I have a 6.5" 357 also. I like the right size gun for the cartridge if possible. I'm itching for a PT-145 though so who knows?
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLansing View Post
    I had an LC9 and a PF9. They were jumping barking little beasts. I sold them. I have 2 380's now and a full size 9MM (PT-99 AFS). I have a 6.5" 357 also. I like the right size gun for the cartridge if possible. I'm itching for a PT-145 though so who knows?
    - Joe

So the thunder 380 seems a lot more manageable than the lc9/pf9

Preferred Site Supporter brojohn's Avatar

Welcome to Bersa-

And one more thing......consider a Thunder Plus when you look at Bersas. The plus holds 15 rounds and there is not much difference in grip width over the standard Bersa.
    I have the 7 round Bersa T-380. My first impression was -wow!.
    I carried a Taurus PT-111 Pro (9mm) for nearly 3 years- good gun, I just could not hit the target with it. So- I got a TCP 380. What a bear to shoot- and Its been to the shop 3 times- I gave up on it. Then I picked up a Bersa Thunder...what a great feeling gun!. Then I bought it- then I shot it-wow!
    You will not be disappointed in the Bersa Thunder. Your only regret could be- I wish I would have got this one______________(fill in the blank).
    Handle all 4 of them- The Bersa T-380, the Plus, the CC, and the Combat.

the LC9 and the Bersa 380cc have practically the same dimensions. if i were in your position, i would keep the LC9 and get the Bersa 380cc.

I haven't shot either one, but I did go look at both for an extended period at the gunshop. The trigger pull on the LCP seemed to last forever. The LC9 seemed a nice size, and the trigger pull seemed light enough and manageable. For about the same size as the Thunder, you get 9mm power. The Thunder seemed to fit the hand well. Granted, the sights on the CC were about as bad as those on the LCP, but in reality it's a pocket gun, so you can't really hold that against it. A friend has loaned me her P230 to try, which I will do on Thursday. The research goes on...

Were I in your shoes, I think I would do as others have suggested and keep the LC9 and just buy a Thunder. You can't have too many pistola's, it never hurts to have an extra pistola in case one goes down or you need to loan one out, and at some point that subcompact 9mm might grow on you. Besides, if you can't sell it at a reasonable price, you might as well just keep it since you already have it. Not to mention 9mm ammo is as cheap or cheaper than 380, which would lend the 9 to more practice.

I used to own a 380cc. Like you I liked the fact that it had the features of the regular 380 but could pocket carry in a pinch (as long as you were not wearing tight pants). It completely disappears IWB. For my own reasons I decided to commit myself to my own 9-9-9 plan (apologies to Herman Cain). I currently own a Sig 226 for OWB open carry, a Bersa 9UC Pro for IWB concealed, and a Kahr PM9 for pocket carry. BUT...I still like the 380cc and like it even more after going through several iterations of pocket guns since I sold it.

Yes, the 380cc sights are almost non existent, BUT....it is a natural point shooter, i.e. you point the gun where you want to shoot without using the sights, like pointing your finger. Chances are unless you train to shoot under stress, you will never see your sights anyway in a self defense situation. In that respect, it is a superior point shooter at 7 yards, perfect for most self defense scenarios. Second...I never felt under gunned due to 380 "one stop" statistics. The gun was so easy to handle that it naturally fell back on target after shooting. I have not been able to get ANY of my other self defense guns back on target as quickly, not even my full sized 9s. I could put 3-4 rounds on target faster than most would take to get their second round out of their small 9mm. The rule is the same for 9mm and 380...shoot until the threat stops. I don't give a crap about how many shots it takes, I care about the 'TIME to stop", and the value of getting second and third shots off quickly and accurately under stress should not be underestimated. No, I didn't take target practice out to 30 yards like I could with my Sig, but a 380cc with 9 rounds of DPX is plenty of firepower.

Having standardized on 9mm, I do like my Kahr which gives me 9mm in a smaller, easier to pocket package than the 380cc that is surprisingly easy to shoot given its size, but if you don't mind adding 380 ammo to your arsenal then there were so many things to like about the 380cc.

I own the CC and have shot and field stripped a friend's LC9. The Ruger is more top heavy and has more muzzle flip. I like the grip on the LC9 and find it to be more comfortable compared to the stock CC grips. The Ruger is much easier to disassemble than my Bersa and is easier to clean. I went shooting with both guns in tow and a couple of friends who were relatively newcomers to handguns. Their first couple of mags with the LC9 the new guys couldn't hit the paper at 5 yards. Same with my Beretta Nano. No trouble with my Bersa (CC with Marschal grips) and some of our other larger frame guns though.

---

Preferred Site Supporter DallasShooter's Avatar

Haven't shot the LC9 but have a BT380 and like it a lot. It is a great carry gun, extremely reliable and the recoil is not bad at all. It is really accurate too and I used it in qualification for my CHL. Having said that, I will eventually sell it as I want to standardize on 9mm and .45 ACP.
    Texas CHL
    BT 22 / BT 380 / BT 9HC Pro / Am Classic II / RIA 1911 GI..... and <??? coming soon>

Slingshot

Quote Originally Posted by mitchr View Post
    Amen to that. The CC is NOT a target pistol. However, it disappears in my pants pocket when I carry it and if I ever (and I hope that's 'never') need it the sights will be the least of my worries.

VIP Site Supporter

The trigger on the lc9 in one word sucks. Comfort and control go to the Bersa hands down. I have the thunder plus and have shot the CC. Same trigger. I love the Bersa trigger. At the range it is the gun that goes home hot and dirty every single time. I have also taken several female shooters who were customers to the range to shoot different guns so they could find the ccw pistol they liked and felt comfortable shooting. They have a choice between p3at pf9 Bersa 380 Taurus tcp and s&w cs40 as well as a couple 38sp revolvers. Every one of them bought the Bersa. They like the trigger and all say the recoil feels softer.