TruRecoil Bersa Discount

Thread: Bersa Thunder .22lr Jamming, Any Suggestions?

Unhappy Bersa Thunder .22lr Jamming, Any Suggestions?

hey everyone i just turned 21, i bought a nice bersa 22 as my first pistol. im having problems at the moment though, i know you guys are not tech support, but you always seem to have good tips.

the gun is sometimes failing to load, other times failing to eject the spent shell(not catching ejector ) . i did alot of reading on the model before i bought it, and tired to take all the precautions about using cheap ammo.

i have 2 clips, when the gun is fresh oiled, i can generally get 1 or 2 magazines off without jamming, after that i have a fail to feed or eject every other shot or so. the gun is very clean, i bought it with 300 rounds fired through it ( used )

i have tested with American Eagle high velocity hp, and round nose

i prefer to use CCI Blazers, but even they dont cycle properly.

i have also tried Winchester super x, with the same results.

by trying to fix, i have clean and oiled the mags, and gun. with no luck.

next i am thinking about polishing the slide and feedramp, with a dremel buffer & compound.

i love the quality of this gun, the build seems great. but when i cycle the slide by hand its very hard ( for a 22 ) and not smooth.
    hopfully i can get the bugs worked out, i really love this guy so far

pix415536249.jpg
    pix719448289.jpg

Preferred Site Supporter bcrtops's Avatar

Re: Bersa Thunder .22lr Jamming, Any Suggestions?

Try the mini-mags -- most folks have good luck with them.

No oil on the mags -- gums them up, wax or dry lube only, if anything -- check for burrs.
    No buff on ramp, etc. Is bad idea on alum. frame -- bad idea on any pistol unless you really really know what you are doing.

Try running the thing "dry". Most folks use way too much lube on .22 semi-autos. Even tranny fluid is viscous for a .22., drags the works down & gums 'em up. Use a dry lube after cleaning (like Rem-Dri aerosol, or other), or oil using your normal lube after cleaning, let set a few minutes, then wipe it down -- leaving metal slick, not wet. Just a suggestion. There is another long thread here on feed problems/ mag problems with .22 you might browse through. Super light weight oil & mini-mags for break-in, then go "dry". Yours should already be broken in I would think.

Edit: additional thought--
    All .22's have a lube on the bullet itself (being lead). This lube differs. On Blazers & especially on match ammo it is usually a fairly hard "waxy" lube. This lube is great for accuracy & always does well in bolt, lever actions & revolvers.
    The golden bullets mentioned in the other thread, the mini-mags, & other high & super velocity .22 shells have a very dry & seemingly hard lube. I haven't tested the theory, but I suspect this is one of the reasons that some of these "waxy" types don't always work well in the semi-autos. Shape of bullet makes a difference too. E.g. Remington used to have (maybe still do) a .22 shell with a truncated bullet (kind of like a semi-wadcutter, but not to that degree -- never could get it to function/feed in my .22 autos reliably.
    Last edited by bcrtops; 02-20-2012 at 12:40 AM.
    1) Never point (aim) a firearm at anything you do not plan to KILL !
    2) The only safe firearm is one with action open !

Rock

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Good advice in the post above imo. Clean and lube lightly ,try the CCI Mini Mags and Remington Golden Bullets. Might try the Winchester Super X SUPER SPEED bullets in the red 100rd plastic pack. These have a bit more " oomph". Bullets with a copper wash will tend to feed better than plain lead generally.

thanks, ill give it a shot tonight, although if i cant shoot my blazers im not sure that i will keep the gun, i ordered 5000 rounds to go with it, but ill pickup so different ammo after a proper cleaning, and try it out

If the slide is abnormally tight as you said, that is a problem with cycling in it's self. Be sure the recoil spring is not on backwards, one end is smaller than the other. Install it with the small, tight end, onto the barrel first. If you have the tight end at the muzzle the spring will increase friction sliding on the barrel on every shot, also the hotter the barrel gets the tighter and more "grabby" it gets.

Make certain the bolt face is clean and dry, especially under the extractor claw. A buildup of residue there can cause troubles. Another thing you can inspect is the ejector to make sure it isn't bent out of alignment and/or dragging in the ejector channel of the slide. It's easier to do this check with the gun assembled minus the recoil spring. For that matter the racking the slide without the recoil spring installed can help you discover where any binding may be evident.
    Definitely try some hotter ammo like CCI MiniMags, Remington Golden Bullets or Vipers. Your pistol will thank you for it.
    "Rights are always based on power. If we lose our ability or willingness to physically defend our rights, we will lose them."___G. Edward Griffin

ok i cleaned and pulled the spring an grips, the only binding i notice is when you pull the slide back it hits the hammer, ever so slightly, even when the hammer is at full cock, is this normal, i can pull the hammer back more by hand, and the slide will clear it, the slide drags backwards and forward on the hammer. thanks

pretty sure thats normal. Both of my bersas do that as well as my walther p22.

Cap and Ball

notice is when you pull the slide back it hits the hammer, ever so slightly, even when the hammer is at full cock, is this normal
    This is normal. Don't give up these seem to run better after getting broken in. There are several factor that may be causing your problems. You might want to look at these threads.

http://www.bersachat.com/forums/show...oad-top-rounds

http://www.bersachat.com/forums/show...my-Bersa/page2

Quote Originally Posted by stompjrkz400 View Post
    ok i cleaned and pulled the spring an grips, the only binding i notice is when you pull the slide back it hits the hammer, ever so slightly
    Is the slide working smoothly now, was the spring in correctly??

the spring was in correctly. im not sure that i know what a proper slide feels like on this gun, all i have to compare it to is a 1911, it seems pretty smooth without the spring in it. im going to fire it tommrow, i took alot of oil off the gun

ok, i did the no no, i pulled the gun apart and my dad took it into his work, he has a machine the does precision polishing, polished the slide on all the edges i thought were important. i also changed to a lighter spring in the mag release, the action is crazzyy smoother, took it out and shot it, the first round failed to eject, the other 9 rounds fire perfect. the next clip, the first round ejected, second round failed to feed, there is a burr on the lip of the feedramp it got caught on, it looks like im a ton closer to getting this gun shooting the way i want it now.

Cap and Ball

looks like im a ton closer to getting this gun shooting the way i want it now
    Good to hear you're getting close. Mine has taken some time to get closer too. It's almost there and I know it's worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by stompjrkz400 View Post
    ok, i did the no no, i pulled the gun apart and my dad took it into his work, he has a machine the does precision polishing, polished the slide on all the edges i thought were important. i also changed to a lighter spring in the mag release, the action is crazzyy smoother, took it out and shot it, the first round failed to eject, the other 9 rounds fire perfect. the next clip, the first round ejected, second round failed to feed, there is a burr on the lip of the feedramp it got caught on, it looks like im a ton closer to getting this gun shooting the way i want it now.
    Its looks like it been a while since your last post how are you makeing out with the thunder 22 ?, just checking around since we just picked on up, and for the time being it seems to shoot great, with about any high velocity ammo

Slingshot

stompjrkz400 I would also like to hear what happened in your situation because what you describe is almost exactly what happened with my new BT22 (although I did use crappy bulk ammo). If you smoothed it out and it helped, that tells me the pistol will need a break in period. What else should I know. Thanks.

Slingshot

stompjrkz400 If you are still on check out my HAPPY CAMPER NOW thread. Also I cleaned and dri-lubed my original mag.

It's obvious what the problem is, you're trying to load the gun using clips. you should be using magazines.

The Remington Golden or CCI mini-mags should work fine. Nix on the Win. or Federal. Its not the gun, its the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by roboguy View Post
    Its not the gun, its the ammo.
    It's the gun. I've used the CCI mini-mags from day 1 and the FTE issues have gotten WORSE. Took it to a mega-shop who is listed as an authorized repair facility and told I'd be without it for at least 4 months.

Lifetime warranty. Take about that long to get it working right, I recon. I'll hunt down another authorized agent and let them have a look at it, but I'm thinking it may be up to me to solve this issue.

I know this is an old thread, but this is an important task. People may DEPEND on this weapon at some point, so if I find the answer, I'll post it here.