TruRecoil Bersa Discount

Thread: Cooey Model 39

Cooey Model 39

My wife's grandmother, and pretty much my grandmother, passed in December ight before Christmas. It's been sad, but we've finally gotten around to going through her things slowly and surely.

Well, today my wife came home with a "bb gun" than she found with her aunt in the storage shed. I of course was ecstatic when she was bringing home any kind of weapon. I get my hands on it to find out iti's a .22 cal Cooey Model 39 single shot .22 It's in poor shape. The outside of the barrel has rust spots, the action is stiff at best, and the stock is completely scratched up. But tomorrow night, i'm going to fix me a drink, disassemble and oil her up and check the barrel for obstructions. Then next week, I might put on my ballistic glasses and take her out for a shot or two, see how it does.

Any tipes on removing the rust and possibly refinishing the blue on the barrel? I'm leaving the stock how it is... I kind of like the character it adds. No snags to worry about splinters or cuts. Boy does it point well.

I"ll post some pictures tomorrow when the sun is up as my phone camera is horrible in low light.

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas

Re: Cooey Model 39

Kroil and 0000 steel wool. There is some blueing available from Brownells I want to try. Maybe you get to be the guinea pig.
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Let me know what it is and I'll give it a shot. Not good at painting/artsy type stuff that requires patience, but I've got to do something with it. It's sad looking, but I have the action smoothed up really nice already.

great find. we'll look forward to the before & after pictures.

TB
    Trying to use fact & logic to sway the opinion of someone with an agenda is a complete waste of time & energy.

Pretty cool looking old gun. If anything else place her up on the wall. A cool talk piece.
    "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine

Going to get some steel wool today and take it to the bolt. Should clean it up. The Rem Oil did some to it last night, but steel wool will help out. The the action will be butter. Luckily, it was sotred down here in Arizona. The bore is still shiny and the rifling looks great. Outside of the barrel has surface rust. After tonight, the bolt should be looking good and I'm going to take some Flitz and Mother's Mag to shine it up and smooth it out.

Next week, I'm going to take it out and shoot it. I'm pretty excited. I like projects.

Moderator & Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

John, from the pictures, seems if you are careful getting the rust off, might actually look better without rebluing it. Let it have that 'well used, but loved' look.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Sweet little rifle!
    I've worked on a few pieces in similar condition and I always get a kick out of bringing them back. If there are any pits you may want to draw file them a bit then follow up with progressively finer sanding and wooling. Once you get the surface to suit your taste, Oxpho-Blue from Brownells is good, easy-to-use cold blue. Works even better with heat. Heat the barrel (after a thorough degreasing) in the oven at 300F for 15 minutes or so, then wipe it on. It'll be stunning.

Very nice John.... I was like you and inherited my Uncles Sears JC Higgins ( Marlin 81 ) earlier this year when he passed away. I have pics under the rifle section with a title of 'Sears'. I opted not to touch anything on the rifle since it had a lot of sentimental value to me. The rifle shots .22's like a charm and is bolt action as well. Give her a good cleaning and you will treasure shooting it every time you take her out..

Congrats... And you have the right idea about mixing a drink to clean her up. Sit back relax and have fun cleaning. You have all the time to make her look good !
    Stay thirsty my friends.....

After looking at it, the rust is all surface. Not sure what (if anything ) I will do about it.

The bolt, on the other hand... I took some steel wool to it today with some elbow grease and some Flitz and Mother's Mag. Results will be posted tomorrow. But it's looking pretty sweet and super smooth. I will continue to work on it tonight (staying up late tonight so I can sleep in tomorrow for work). Will post some pictures when the sun comes up.

A lot of work for a cheap gun, but I'm excited to shoot it. Never shot a single shot before, but I'm hoping it will be pretty accurate. Going out next Tuesday and will post a "desert" report.

Here's the bolt cleaned up. Not perfect, but a lot better than it was.

That's a huge improvement, John. Congrats!

If it were me the way my luck runs it would have been a bb gun. Congrats looks like you are doing a great job. Report back how it fires
    REDNECK 4 LIFE