TruRecoil Bersa Discount

Thread: new Bersa thunder 22 question

Slingshot

new Bersa thunder 22 question

I just bought a bersa thunder 22 it is the third Bersa I own. I took it to the range straight out of the box. I shot about 60 rounds through it. Then took it home and put it away for three days. Today I took it apart to clean it and then got interrupted and had to put it back together. When I did that the extractor sticks out. And the gun cycles really rough. I took the slide back off checked the spring location, small end in, notch at 12noon as suggested and put back together. Gun cycles better but extractor still sticks out. Any thoughts on what else I should do?

Re: new Bersa thunder 22 question

If you lock the slide back in the open position, does the extractor still stick out? When my Firestorm 22 is in battery, the extractor sticks out a little, but when locked back it falls flush with the slide.
    I'm no expert; I'm just, well...opinionated!

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/

I woud highly recommend that you take that pistol to someone who really know how to clean a pistol properly.
    That in itself denotes having knowledge of properly disassambling & assembling it.

Cap and Ball

If you lock the slide back in the open position, does the extractor still stick out? When my Firestorm 22 is in battery, the extractor sticks out a little, but when locked back it falls flush with the slide.
    Ditto on this except my extractor sticks out proudly as it should. These are not meant to be loaded chamber indicators and this is typical of rimfire pistols.

Slingshot

I said I got interrupted in cleaning it, not that I didnt know how. the bt22 comes apart for cleaning using the same process as my bt380 that I have cleaned many times. I guess my question should have been, does the extractor on the bt22 normally stick out in battery position, and the answer is yes, my bt380 does not and I didnt notice it when I recieved my bt22 only after I took it apart and put it back together and inspected it closely after a rough cycling of the action. My stepfather was a gunsmith for 20 years, but doesnt have experience with bt22s. So I asked before I did anything else. A good cleaning and my bt22 cycles great, shoots great, and is a lot of fun.
    Thank you all for your input.
    Proud owner of
    BT22
    BT380
    BT45 UC

I like ( some ) of you guys / gals already. Thanks for the information. I just got my BT22 home and had exactly the same experience as bmbacat. I thought it was strange considering I also have the .380 and it doesn't do that. But after cycling a loaded chamber by hand a few time it seems to catch just fine. My OCD may not like it but it seems normal.

Jeff

Preferred Site Supporter Onelight's Avatar

On the 22 when the slide is in battery the extractor is in the notch on the side of the barrel the sloaped bottom of that notch cams the extractor out. The rimfire cartridge requires full support all the way to the rim.
    The center fire cartridge has a solid case head that is really thick and does not require full support for the length of the case so the extractor does not need to go past the rim or extractor grove like on the rim fire.
    There did I make that clear as mud?
    Last edited by Onelight; 07-30-2012 at 10:18 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

Rock

The extractor does stick out a little when the slide is forward and isn't flush against the slide, and goes flush as you move the slide rearward......totally normal, and I had asked the same question the other day before I cleaned and relubed before I did my break in. Just a FYI.....I found my Thunder 22 to be pretty oiled up with preservative from the factory and cleaned it completely. But the magazine that came with the gun as well as the additional magazines I bought from Bersa had a lot of oil in them also. Make sure you disassemble and clean the magazines out real well too.

That was my experience when I took home my T22. The side by side with my T380 only caused more frustration. So I went online to look at pictures and videos and it didn't take me long to figure out the extractor is supposed to stick out. No longer frustrated, just having fun now shooting it now.

So I guess Bersas are like belly buttons, some are "innies" and some are "outies!"

Slingshot

Ditto on the extractor. All is good.