“Making “Wolfgang
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BP9 issues

Re: BP9 issues

Put a 100 federal fmj through with no problem. 8 hornady jhp no problem. 50 wwb with 1 FTE, and 35 Tul ammo with 7 light strikes and 1 failure to feed.

The tul ammo was so awful I was dumbstruck. I switched back to federal for another 50 rounds and it shot fine. I put 1 of the light strikes back in for another go and still no joy.

Im reserving judgement until i hit the 500 mark. The wwb just extracts and ejects weakly, I think. I did shoot the gun side-ways once out of curiosity and my safety glasses surely caught angry brass. So accuracy aside, I can't see why anyone would shoot that way. I feel that the gun just needs some umph to eject properly, and the Tul ammo was so awful Im not taking it to heart.

In my experience Tul has ran rather poorly in most of my personal firearms and in others. The primer is typically set either too deep or is poorly manufactured and doesn't always ignite as it should. I ended up trading off my BP at a loss with full disclosure. I linked the buyer to this same review/experiences to make sure they were fully aware of what exactly they were getting into. With carry guns I just can't have failures; even if it were to be fixed under warranty and exhibit no further problems I would still be wary of trusting it. I guess I'm just odd like that, but as the age old adage goes "fool me once..."

After switching back to Glocks and realizing that while they work I just cannot stand them. Nothing personal against Glock owners, they just don't shoot well in my hands. I bought an M&P compact and have been quite happy ever since.

I hope this thread has helped any that may have had issues, and wish you all luck in your endeavors with the BP9cc. I really wanted to love mine, but it just didn't work out. Maybe I'll eventually pick up another once Bersa has had a chance to work some bugs out.

Mini Gun

I do believe any small auto is more prone to problems than the more full size ones, but keep my BP clean, and in good order it has turned into a totally relieable shooter, and and not had any failure in the last couple of hundred rounds, and I am not so sure it has had a single failure that was the guns fault. I now carry it it with total trust, and am sorry you never got your's to that point. My buddy got to a point with his Diamondback 380 he put it away, and resolved to only carry a small revoler in the future, as he no longer trust Autos. I think it might be the way we shoot them, load them, and care for, as I seem to never have problems with autos, and have 4 now and it would take a while to count all the ones I've owned, and now I only own one revolver, and it's my old .22 single six convertable.

Mini Gun

Sounds like a next Gen BP9cc is needed... fix the FTE problems , and maybe add a manual safety?

:lightingzapA
    Last edited by Reginald Carstairs; 05-12-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: reduced font LAST TIME

I like the lack of a manual safety and do not like the mag disconnect safety. I've shot twice and no boom because the mag wasn't seated properly. Now I smack it pretty good to avoid that. At first I thought I would want a manual safety. I play a lot of fps, and fractions of a second mean a lot. Also by the time someone is up on you you have the disadvantage of reaction time, judgement call, and the other guy possibly already assaulting you. I understand there are strong opinions on both sides so Im not calling anyone "wrong" but Im more comfortable with the safety between my ears and a covered trigger.

Incidentally I cleaned my gun with Mobil 1 extended life and its much more slick than hoppes lube. It also has solvent properties, since I the shirt was pretty filthy when I finished. The gun was already "clean", so all the extra was surprising. I'm gonna spray out the polymer and just touch up a few spots with a small brush. It keeps seeping through the trigger and making it slimy. I do wish the trigger wasn't polymer. The gun is much more silent, that original crunch from the recoil spring is muted and the rails just glide.

Quote Originally Posted by bp9 owner View Post
    I like the lack of a manual safety and do not like the mag disconnect safety. I've shot twice and no boom because the mag wasn't seated properly. Now I smack it pretty good to avoid that. At first I thought I would want a manual safety. I play a lot of fps, and fractions of a second mean a lot. Also by the time someone is up on you you have the disadvantage of reaction time, judgement call, and the other guy possibly already assaulting you. I understand there are strong opinions on both sides so Im not calling anyone "wrong" but Im more comfortable with the safety between my ears and a covered trigger.

Incidentally I cleaned my gun with Mobil 1 extended life and its much more slick than hoppes lube. It also has solvent properties, since I the shirt was pretty filthy when I finished. The gun was already "clean", so all the extra was surprising. I'm gonna spray out the polymer and just touch up a few spots with a small brush. It keeps seeping through the trigger and making it slimy. I do wish the trigger wasn't polymer. The gun is much more silent, that original crunch from the recoil spring is muted and the rails just glide.
    Individual reaction times vary so if you feel that no external safety helps your reaction time that is great. There are those that have a reaction time so fast that most people would have just completed the thought and it's over.

Then again during a draw there is time to do many things before the pistol is even on target so don't always believe it helps reaction time to eliminate steps. Some steps occur within another function. Take a peek at some of the fast draws out there with single action pistols that require a hammer cocked and see if you could beat them. Try Bob Munden for instance (fastest draw recorded) I am pretty sure he can shoot too targets and reholster before most of us get the pistol pointed in the right direction
    Certified Armed Infidel .
    WARNING: All my ammo contains bacon grease for a one way ticket to hell!
    45/70 when Bacon is still on the hoof. Here Piggie Piggie and ISIS pigs.

Thumbs up Re: BP9 issues

Quote Originally Posted by skud_dusty View Post
    1) It strips similarly to a Glock. Use a punch to depress the sping near the rear slide plate and push the rear plate downwards. The striker assembly will come right out. Here's a quick simple video I just made showing how it's done. I'm still not quite sure how to pull the extractor out. Sorry about the video quality, the only thing I have is my cheap point and shoot camera.

http://youtu.be/DjFz8idpfNE
    Very helpful, thanks. I used a 2 mm hex driver in one of my mini screwdriver kits instead of a punch. The striker was also chock full of factory brown goop, glad I found your video and directions so I could clean it out before my first trip to the range with it.

I dont think it would help my reaction time, but I know what you mean. If internet reaction time tests are any metric worth considering (I think they are) then my reaction time is just behind the curve. Not by much. But I do believe not engaging a safety will reduce draw time. It is also my experience that little things like ergonomics, stronger hands, eliminating additional actions, breathing... just little things amount to a faster draw. Some folks say its not the arrow.. but when you reach a certain point the arrow becomes the limiting factor.

If I did have a safety I would want it to be as large as the slide stop on the bp9... even longer I think, and just as flat and smooth so that it wouldn't catch. I've seen a few like this but haven't been able to evaluate them.

I have seen those videos. That guy is sharp.

I am inclined to think that by the time I need the gun I will have wished it could just appear in my hand, but hey, it could go either way.

Ideally, I would like to be able to draw and fire off 3 rounds accurately in less than 200 ms, which is the average person's reaction time. I can dream.

Do you prefer a safety?

I dont think it would help my reaction time, but I know what you mean. If internet reaction time tests are any metric worth considering (I think they are) then my reaction time is just behind the curve. Not by much. But I do believe not engaging a safety will reduce draw time. It is also my experience that little things like ergonomics, stronger hands, eliminating additional actions, breathing... just little things amount to a faster draw. Some folks say its not the arrow.. but when you reach a certain point the arrow becomes the limiting factor.

If I did have a safety I would want it to be as large as the slide stop on the bp9... even longer I think, and just as flat and smooth so that it wouldn't catch. I've seen a few like this but haven't been able to evaluate them.

I have seen those videos. That guy is sharp.

I am inclined to think that by the time I need the gun I will have wished it could just appear in my hand, but hey, it could go either way.

Ideally, I would like to be able to draw and fire off 3 rounds accurately in less than 200 ms, which is the average person's reaction time. I can dream.

Do you prefer a safety?
    Yes I prefer a safety and practice regularly. I have and use a safety on all firearms, long and hand except the revolvers of course. I hunt and I have never had a problem drawing and removing a safety and firing at a sudden moving target. Even coming at me faster than any human can move.

I just don't get the safety/time issues that get discussed since safeties are turned off before the barrel makes it onto the target. I also shot my first IDPA match last week and found it to be a non issue since safeties are turned off as the gun comes up and I for one never realize the extra motion. There was a Gl**k on the field and there was no noticeable increase of the owners ability to fire any faster on a target.(Nice failure clearing training though)

No matter how fast a draw is there are other motions that can be done at the same time. Much like we blink while we walk and can even talk or scratch at the same time.

I use the reference to the fastest draw, because he uses a single action that must have the hammer worked which requires more effort than a safety sweep and proves what the human body can do if taught and practiced. I understand there are people worried about forgetting the safety under stress, and I am sure those people exist and should use a firearm without the extra motion.

Anyway, whatever works for you and others is fine. We are all different and prefer things differently but I do grow tired of the claims that it's not possible to use a safety and be fast at the same time.
    Certified Armed Infidel .
    WARNING: All my ammo contains bacon grease for a one way ticket to hell!
    45/70 when Bacon is still on the hoof. Here Piggie Piggie and ISIS pigs.

Cap and Ball

I think safety operation is negligible as long as you practice A LOT with your firearm. Ultimately, as you get used to the gun, it will become second nature.

Still getting jams. I emailed bersa a few concerns and received "Thanks for contacting us. The gun can be sent in for repair to any of our warranty centers, full information seen here:www.bersa.com/warranty." grr.

At this point I have only two gripes. Gripe might not even be the right word. The first is that if the gun is found defective I would like to have my initial shipping cost refunded. They have not said they wouldn't, but the /warranty explains that you pay to ship to the warranty center. Im a college student so I will have to wait about 2 months before i can afford to ship it.

The second is that I will never trust <i>this</i> gun again. Even if they fix it, I will never trust it. Maybe another BP9cc, but not this one. My final explanation for these failures is very basic, something is awry with the extraction. There is no way to replace an extractor channel, and even if that's not the cause, i'll worry that it is.

If i am unable to get the gun replaced ill just have to sell it (full disclosure and after at least 1 warranty servicing) and take the hit and get another gun several months from now when finances are better. Obviously ill reserve my final opinion for a later date but as of right now im not pleased.

on a related note, price aside, if you had to pick one as a full size concealed carry, which would it be and why (price aside)?

glock 22

cz 75b .40 w/ match grade hammer

H&K USP .40

thanks

Well, when i ride the slide down almost every round hangs just under the extractor, like the extractor is too tight and wont move over the lip. In these cases just a tap on the slide will seat it properly, but about 1/3 of the time the round ends up in front of the extractor. I suppose its probable that I have a failure to feed issue which appears to be a FTE because the rounds still go off even in front of the extractor. Never on purpose but at least once when i racked the slide a "stuck" bullet remained.

Cap and Ball
    I used to get a lot of FTE's. The spent case would be stuck. I compared it to my Paraordnance .45 barrel and empty casings would drop in and out really easily. With the Bersa, spent casings would be really snug and I'd need to practically use a screwdriver to pull it out.

Ultimately, I used sandpaper grit 600, removed a small bit of material, tested with the empty shells so it would at least drop in without resistance, then smoothed it out with 800-1200 grit paper to smoothen it out. Haven't had extraction issues after.

Of course, I'm not saying everyone should do this, obviously, it's best to have the service center handle it, but I'm just that kinda guy haha

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

on a related note, price aside, if you had to pick one as a full size concealed carry, which would it be and why (price aside)?

glock 22

cz 75b .40 w/ match grade hammer

H&K USP .40

thanks
    *scratches his shaved head* How would someone concealed carry a full sized .40 cal. in the middle of a hot summer?
    "No, that's not a rocket in my pocket." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT3gkXyxhuA

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Man View Post
    *scratches his shaved head* How would someone concealed carry a full sized .40 cal. in the middle of a hot summer?
    I have a Bersa Hi Cap. 9mm (same dimensions & weight as a .40) that I carry sometimes. Just depends on mode of dress & since I am retired, I can dress anyway I please. A blousey untucked shirt, a proper holster & good belt does the trick. Even buttoned up & worn OWB, it doesn't print.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

VIP Site Benefactor

All that salty sweat and steamy goo shouldn't hurt the plastic much....

I have concealed a full sized 1911 in an OWB holster wearing shorts and a t-shirt....it's not that difficult. Remember it just has to be concealed, not hidden.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234