Those wishing to make a designated donation for our Members affected by Hurricane Harvey or Irma, please add "Harvey" or "Irma" in the "Add a note" box. Thank you!

“Making “Wolfgang
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BP9 issues

Re: BP9 issues

My only problem that I had was when I was cleaning and field-stripping the gun....

As I was removing the recoil spring so I could remove the barrel for cleaning, the washer that is used to retain the springs came off the recoil spring rod and was very difficult to repair. The recoil spring rod has a split on one end that allows you to force the spring's "retaining washer" on to the end of the rod, locking the spring... but it will not lock the washer on the rod very well and is not a very well design. I worry about this coming off every time I clean and remove the barrel.

A redesign and a replacement of the recoil spring is a must. I'm sure this could be done easily ... Other than this one problem , This is a very well made and a high quality handgun and a great price. . .

Bersa, Please redesign this Recoil Spring.

mail.jpg

recoil spring.jpg

bersa2.jpg

Bersa1.jpg

Had two failure to extracts in 70 rounds. Bought the whitebox that people are having trouble with because if i was going to have issues i want to know up front. I polished the feed ramp to a mirror shine, took care only to remove scratches. I think I can see what's happening.

I put some snap caps through and i can see the paint is nicking at the lip/edge of the casing. As the bullet travels up the feed ramp, the ridge of the case is gently catching on the top entry of the chamber. The lower portions of the chamber where the feed ramp meets are widened but the top isn't and the case is catching just so. The slight delay caused by the "catch" causes the extractor not to grab the lip very well and the bullet shimmies away from it a little bit. I don't know if you just aren't suppose to widen the top but even just smoothing off the rough corner a little, just the 90 degree edge, would seem to fix it. I'm not an expert but I can reproduce the problem if I load the snap cap very slowly, since there's not enough force to overcome the "catch".

I am disappointed and cautious since so many people are having this issue. I still have some break in before I worry about it, but I am considering smoothing off just slightly the upper edge where the chamber begins. Any thoughts on this? I've cleaned and oiled everything very well. I'd really like to know how to remove that extractor too.

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

Welcome to Bersa Chat bp9. Someone that has that pistol should be along & maybe help. But, the first place most look when having extraction problems seems to be the extractor itself. Build up of gunk on it or under it, or a burr, etc. which hinders the rim of the round sliding up underneath the claw.

I've also seen rim depth/thickness comparisons of ammo that could cause a problem. Do you have other ammo you can check against the WWB?
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

VIP Site Benefactor

Hi bp9 and welcome to Bersa Chat..

What I do know is they have a great warranty.. My BP9 is at CGW for warranty as we speak.. If you do much more to your gun I'm bettin you will void your warranty.. So be careful how much you do so as not to void it.

Mini Gun

It should be quite alright to slide a scerwdirver into the the slot to spread it enought to retain the washer. It is obvious that yours is sprung inwards a little. Use something to gauge this movement, and to verify you have opened it a little, and not to overdo it. Make sure the screwdriver has smooth sides, and lubricate it to avoid scratching the metal. If you bought it locally they might even help you with it, it should be a simple adjustment.

Thanks for the welcome. I'd hope they wouldn't void the warranty over a polished ramp. crossing my fingers :) I looked at the barrels of some glocks and their is no rounding of edges into the chamber so I'm not gonna do it. I also replicated the problem by bringing the slide almost completely back but not completely. Maybe the recoil spring is too rigid... so I brought the slide back and I'm gonna leave it like that for a few days to ease it up some. I'm sure I limp wristed it, I was concetrating on a solid squeeze instead of "pulling" the trigger so my hand was very loose. It may be just a really stiff spring. The extractor seems to be burr free. I'll do the 500 round break in and if its not cured by then I send it back for work or another. I really like this gun, the recoil is very manageable, and the gun is light and small.

Quote Originally Posted by skud_dusty View Post
    I've been on the quest for a perfect CCW pistol for years now. I've got from Glocks to Sigs to 1911s and everything in between. There are a small handful of manufacturers that I haven't actually owned, and most I've tried in gun shops. I finally settled on an Officer's sized 1911 for my current carry gun, but can't get over how heavy it is. Lately my buying/selling/trading has gotten completely out of hand trying to find "the one" it's getting ridiculous!

Yesterday I set out to see what I could find. I had some money in my pocket, a full tank of gas, and an understanding girlfriend that didn't mind tagging along on a 100+ mile road trip to visit 6 of my favorite gun shops. After spending most of the day playing with guns I haven't tried before and being severely disappointed, I was at the point where I thought I should just buy another Glock and make myself like it.

I ended up finding this little beauty:

It's even smaller than my mini-1911!

I loaded up my bags and a few other guns and headed to the range where I had some mixed success. I didn't clean the gun prior to shooting as upon field stripping there appeared to be a normal amount of oil inside the pistol with no left over bits from machining that I could see. I took 200 rounds with me laid out as follows: 50 147gr Winchester Silvertip JHP, 50 115gr Magtech FMJ, 50 115gr American Eagle FMJ, and 50 115gr Remington UMC JHP. I began with the American Eagle which fed fired and extracted all 50 cartridges. Towards the end of the box I had one magazine start failing to lock back. It happened 2 or 3 times then completely went away for the remainder of the day. The same magazine caused the failure and I could not get the problem to come back with any other ammo. I'm guessing it might have been part of break-in or I just wasn't seating the mag fully.

The second box, which was Remington JHP, went fine with no major complaints. Brass was being ejected towards my 4 o'clock maybe 3 yards away. It wasn't flinging brass, but left them in a nice neat spot on the ground. When I got into the third box, just after the 100 round mark I started getting failure to ejects. I scraped a little bit of buildup out from under the extractor with my knife and things started going smooth again. All in all I had maybe 10 failure to extracts from the second 100 rounds I put through it. Some ejection seemed weak, with the cases sitting neatly on top of the magazine when the slide locked back. Going through and cleaning the gun I found nothing out of the ordinary and by round 175 things seemed to have cleaned up a bit with the failures being more spread apart. When they started happening they were one right after another.

I don't trust the gun for carry yet. I'm hoping it just needs a bit of a break-in period as many other guns of this size do. If it continues through the next 200 rounds I'll be contacting the manufacturer to see what they suggest. The extractor looks like it's getting a good bite on the rim of the rounds I manually fed it and there seems to be plenty of tension so I'm not quite sure what to think of it.

I did find a holster at the gunshop I bought ammo from. Tagua Gunleather makes an IWB holster for the LC9 which fit this little Bersa like it was made for it.

Some folks think my problem might be a weak extractor spring or out of spec extractor. Does anyone have any input? All the other range reports I've seen have had no problems whatsoever. It was a slightly frustrating day
    first off the problem with the original packing greese is just that, it is greese not oil so it gunks up a lot quicker. second any gun manufacturer is going to tell you to put at least 500 rounds through it before you send it back because of FF or FE. third you should always when first getting a gun completely break it down and clean and LIGHTLY oil the gun do not use to much oil i have seen guys come from the gun range with oil splatered all over there face and fore arms because they thought the more the better. i use a Q tip when oiling my guns lightly rubbing in the connecting channels and parts. also breaking down the mags and cleaning should be done just as often as gun cleaning.

I haven't been out to shoot again. I will in the next couple of weeks and then I hope it will work better. I am hopeful but somewhat skeptical. I acknowledge a gun has to break in, but meh. So if all goes well that's great if not, what is your personal acceptable failure rate (by "acceptable" I mean not returning it). If I return it, is that a difficult process? Does bersa generally figure the problem out? It seems like if you go through enough of them you'd get one that works... but is that even a viable process? Lots of shipping..

Moderator of the Year

VIP Site Benefactor

If it's to be a carry pistol, no failures are acceptable. If just a 'for fun' pistol, then what is acceptable is strictly up to you. Personally, I don't like failures in either case.

But, don't just send it to a warranty center before calling them to discuss the problem, possible causes, the possible fix & how long it'll take.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

npe.jpg

So heres a photo showing my bp 9 extractor in blurry detail. at the top of the extractor I drew what is actually there, a small burr presumably caused by the barrel meeting up against it. The scored area shows a gradual groove, the arrow is pointing at the burr. I can move the extractor freely with a plastic tool, but if I push up (to the right) while moving the extractor it catches, presumably because of the burr. There is a noticeable lack of continuous ease in its movement. I can move it freely with a plastic tool if I apply downward (left) pressure while moving it or if I just move it. I think when the ammo comes from underneath there is upward force applied to the extractor which causes it to encounter that catch. What I thought was the ammo casing lip catching the upper entry to the barrel now seems to be the bullet not easing up into the extractor. My camera won't focus any better, it looks like the barrel has hammered the metal on the extractor (just barely) and "up" was one of the directions it expanded into causing a burr. I've cycled some snap caps through and one does still catch every now and then. Wish I could remove the dang extractor and gently just take off that burr.

My take on that (and I had extraction problems with my BP9cc) is, send it to the warranty center with a letter explaining everything and once it comes back, clean and lube it.
    Mine is now (after coming back from the warranty center) 220 Federal zero fault rounds. It doesn't matter if it is clean or dirty, now it will shoot (accurately) regardless of which magazine however, I prefer to clean it after every shooting session.

So, in my case, it was worth it to send it in for warranty, I clean it after every shooting session, it likes Federal and Speer Gold Dot ammo and it is very accurate, if you do what you are supposed to do.

I hope that helps......

I previously posted on some issues I had with my BP and I took mine back to the dealer and it had a FTE for them as well so they did some additional polishing etc. It helped but was still having occasional FTEs. This was on a couple of brands of ammo. Then last evening I cleaned and lubed again since it had been a month or so since I shot it. Went outside and had another FTE on the first mag and then twice the slide failed to stay open after the last bullet. So I traded it in on a S & W M&P shield 9mm. Ate about $100 to walk away from the BP but I no longer had any trust for it. Hated to turn it out since it was an accurate easy carry gun but for me it wasn't worth the risk. Put a few rounds threw the M&P and it was flawless and I like the sights better. The shield has 2 mags, one is extended for 8 and the other holds 7. Weight, size is comparable but trigger pull is cleaner. The M&P is DA only. There is no slight trigger pull to disengage the safety as there is on the BP. Although on the BP if you don't let the trigger go back forward all the way after firing it has a nice short pull.

I wish the best for those of you with the Bersa BP as I really loved the feel and accuracy of it but apparently it and I weren't meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I wish the best for those of you with the Bersa BP as I really loved the feel and accuracy of it but apparently it and I weren't meant to be.
    So you traded it in without getting it fixed under warranty. So now the next poor sap that comes along will get a gun that needs warranty work but he won't have the benefit of warranty service because he's not the original owner. Nice.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Moderator of the Year

VIP Site Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    So you traded it in without getting it fixed under warranty. So now the next poor sap that comes along will get a gun that needs warranty work but he won't have the benefit of warranty service because he's not the original owner. Nice.

Bronson
    That's exactly why I hesitate to buy used. If I ever do get a used one, it'll be a Hi Point or a Springfield. At one time, Keltec would honor warranty to second owner, but just recently discontinued that practice.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Hi Point and Thomson Center too, both warranty there product, not the buyer. Gotta like them for that.
    "Fear nothin but God"
    "You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

Bronson
    I told the dealer the issues I was having, it was the same dealer whose gunsmith previously worked on it. I told them the issues before they quoted me a trade in price. I suppose the honorable thing to do was to ship it back, deal with the delay and not being able to carry for how long that took, since it is thhe only carry gun I have. I guess part time protection is better than none. The dealer has a gun range on site and since it is used they should be able to test fire it if they like before buying it. You can KMA

VIP Site Benefactor

Your last line was un called for Pale Rider. Argue the idea all you want but No personal attacks please..

Quote Originally Posted by Mason View Post
    Your last line was un called for Pale Rider. Argue the idea all you want but No personal attacks please..
    I have been sorely wounded and demand satisfaction! Ok, not really I have a fairly thick skin mostly due to being built like a hippopotamus.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Slingshot

I'd also like to point out that due to the extremely thin handle on this pistol, the risk of limp wristing causing a FTE is higher than say a double stack 9 such as the thunder 9. You are wrapping more of your hands around this pistol, and are more likely to have your wrist action affect the recoil path of the gun, especially if it isn't known to work well with the type of ammo anyways. Be patient if you are getting a few FTE, worry if you are getting several in one mag or several across a few mags. After it's all broken in and you get used to the hold of the gun, might just be ok. If not, then send it for repair.

On my initial trip to the range with this pistol, I experienced 4 FTEs out of 1 8-round mag of WWB out of the gate. Since then, I've put approximately 500 rounds of FAE through it without an issue. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to stop at an outdoor range on my way back home and shot 200 rounds of WWB trouble-free. This makes approximately 800 trouble-free rounds of various ammo since that initial mag.
    My impression was that the 115gr WWB just didn't have enough "oomph" to eject properly out of the new pistol. 124gr functioned early on. Over the course of the last couple of months shooting it, it now appears to eat everything. Me likey!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast