“Making “Wolfgang
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BP9 issues

Re: BP9 issues

I guess I finally got lucky with pistol purchase. I just wiped mine down, put some grease on the rails and couple drops of ATF down the firing pin hole and went to the range. So far I've got over 500 rounds of various brands of FMJ, and hollow points and I haven't cleaned it since the initial wipe down.

It's about freakin' time that I get a pistol that works how it's supposed to. I swear I've used the warranty service for more pistol manufacturers than anybody else I know.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

To: skud_dusty, Sorry to hear the difficulties you have encountered with the BP9CC. Unlike some of the other folks commenting, I am someone that also owns a Bersa BP9CC. I purchased my gun on 11-29.11. When I first took my gun to the range I experienced some of the same problems that you encountered. I then experimented with several types of ammo, some showed more problems than others but I still had some FTF and FTL problems with all of the selections of ammo.

I then did a complete "Fluff and Buff" treatment to the gun. I used these procedures:

http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/fullrp.htm

http://www.thektog.org/tecwerks10.htm

The most important part is the polishing the feed ramp. In addition, I now fully lubricate the Gun parts with Militec1. You can find this product from various suppliers found through Google.

I also narrowed down my ammo selection to two products. I now use only:

Federal Classic Hi-Shok Jacketed Hollow Point (9BP) for home protection and
    Federal Champion FMJ (WM5199) for target

This gives me fully reliable solutions for the only two needs I have with the gun.

I have now totally eliminated any problems with the gun. I no longer have ANY failure to feed or failure to load problems. Since I did this I have put over 500 rounds through the gun and have experienced ZERO problems.

Others may volunteer differing solutions and may challenge my recommendations but the simple facts of the matter is that I now have a fully reliable BP9CC and have NO fears of the gun's reliability as a CCW weapon.

As a side note...I also own a Kel Tec PF-9. I had had numerous problems with that weapon also. I did all the same procedure with that gun. I did the "Fluff and Buff" and changed my ammo to the above two Federal products. I now have ZERO problems with the PF-9 either.

Maybe its just me, but just put 2 clips of Remington through it with no problems. Did another cleaning, actually cleaned it twice and put another 2 clips of the white box Winchester through it. This time problems again, 2 FTE. I guess its time to give up on the Winchester until I can have it checked out further.

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

Don't recall a lot of complaints about Winchester in the 9mm, but a lot of them for their .380. I think that is mainly due to the flat nose of the .380 in new pistols. I suppose the WWB may be under powered just enough to give your pistol problems while it is new & it may shoot them fine after it's broken in.

I like the WWB because it's cheaper than Remington, but if your Walmart has the Federal 100 rd. packs, it's even cheaper & shoots fine.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Slingshot

My new BP9 really hated Winchester White box. So far everything else (Remington JHP and FMJ and PMC Bronze FMJ) has been flawless.

Well this last time out the pistol started choking on the Federal that it seemed to work well with. Me thinks it's time to send it in for warranty as I'm now 650 rounds in and I can't reproduce the problem, it just randomly happens with all ammo and levels of cleanliness. I have never done this before, any tips?

VIP Site Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by skud_dusty View Post
    Well this last time out the pistol started choking on the Federal that it seemed to work well with. Me thinks it's time to send it in for warranty as I'm now 650 rounds in and I can't reproduce the problem, it just randomly happens with all ammo and levels of cleanliness. I have never done this before, any tips?
    Here is how I ship one in.. First talk with your warranty center. Tell them whats up.. Then Field strip the gun.. (never ship with any ammo in it.. EVER).. After field stripping its just parts your shipping.. Then I make sure my info is on the gun. I usually wire/zip tag my name and stuff to the frame. Include a note explaning whats up, refreshing you conversation with the gunsmith and itimize all the parts including mags contained in the shipment. Package the parts real good. If done this way you can ship UPS ground for just a few bucks.. NEVER EVER NEVER ship US Post office.. Now some UPS "Franchise stores" will not ship a fire arm.. Its just the franchise policy but it is totally legal to ship this way and its NOT against UPS corporate policy.. What most do here is go UPS.com online and buy/print your own lable. Then all you need to do is have the UPS guy pick it up. Or you can drop it off to a UPS shipping hub. When done the gun smith will ship it back directly to you.. Best of luck.

So ship slide and magazine in one box and frame in second? Just for future reference. It is a great idea and I am glad to have this information just in case. Since it is ground it saves from overnight shipping cost. Thanks mason.
    "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine

VIP Site Benefactor

Field strip, shipped in one box disassembled. UPS only, no post office.

I have shipped the way Mason describes but there are things you need to know. UPS and Fedex rules require you to disclose to them if you are shipping a firearm. Once you declare the firearm they will force you to ship it via the expensive air shipping. Just so you know they use the Fed. definition of "firearm" which is just the frame so field stripping it or even shipping it in separate boxes does nothing as the frame all by itself is the "firearm."

If you chose to not disclose to them and something happens to your package or it gets lost you may have difficulty claiming your insurance on the package when they find out what it contained since you broke their rules.

Make your choices and take your chances as you see fit.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Well I talked to my dealer about shipping and he said he would do me a solid and ship it for me at cost. Now I'll only be paying $15-20 instead of the $60 to go through FedEx. Be nice to your local guys, they can really come through when you need em :)

Well I talked to my dealer about shipping and he said he would do me a solid and ship it for me at cost. Now I'll only be paying $15-20 instead of the $60 to go through FedEx. Be nice to your local guys, they can really come through when you need em :)
    That's what I try to do too. The local dealers around here will usually do that if you've bought it from them...usually runs about $10-$15 and avoids all that other hassle.

Bronson

Rock

Two questions:

1) Is there a video available that shows how one removes the striker for cleaning? I just bought a BP9CC and I want to clean it before I fire it.

2) Won't Bersa send you a shipping label to send your gun in if you need warranty work? (I know S&W, Ruger, and Springfield all do.)

1) It strips similarly to a Glock. Use a punch to depress the sping near the rear slide plate and push the rear plate downwards. The striker assembly will come right out. Here's a quick simple video I just made showing how it's done. I'm still not quite sure how to pull the extractor out. Sorry about the video quality, the only thing I have is my cheap point and shoot camera.

http://youtu.be/DjFz8idpfNE

2) From the FAQ Bersa requires you to pay to ship to one of their gunsmiths, they will pay return shipping.

Super Moderator
    VIP Site Benefactor

Very nice Skud! I love this Bersa Chat place. Everyone is happy to help and there is a wealth of knowledge and a variety of skills!

Got to fondle the BP9 today at the gun show I really like the feel hope these issues are just breakin probs I figure a good cleaning and good ammo I can make this gun dependable practically dissasembled in front the guy looks impressive to me Gave him a down payment for the duo-tone which he didnt have with him settle on $359 that sounds about the best will see around here will see

Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Pond Scum View Post
    I love this Bersa Chat place. Everyone is happy to help and there is a wealth of knowledge and a variety of skills!
    And a big thanks to you too, Glenn! I got home a little bit ago, and read your message...then I saw this post, and Skud's video, and it couldn't have been any easier. I wish all of my pistols stripped this easy! I'm going to get it all cleaned, and then hopefully I can get to the range soon. I go to small range that is outdoors...it will be a week before it is dry. I guess I should join an indoor range. What I really need to do is win the lottery, buy some acreage, and have my own personal, private indoor/outdoor range...that would be better!

Rock

From the FAQ Bersa requires you to pay to ship to one of their gunsmiths, they will pay return shipping.
    Hopefully I won't ever need it...but the gun shop where I bought it provides their own lifetime warranty on anything new they sell, and if they can't fix it they will ship it to the manufacturer. If I ever do have a problem, I'll just take it back to them.

Quote Originally Posted by GKC View Post
    If I ever do have a problem, I'll just take it back to them.
    Unless they are an authorized Bersa warranty center if they work on it they may void the manufacturer lifetime warranty.

Bronson

Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Unless they are an authorized Bersa warranty center if they work on it they may void the manufacturer lifetime warranty.

Bronson
    Good point...I'll just ask them to send it to the Bersa center for me. However, hopefully that won't ever be needed!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast