“Making “Wolfgang
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BP9 issues

BP9 issues

I've been on the quest for a perfect CCW pistol for years now. I've got from Glocks to Sigs to 1911s and everything in between. There are a small handful of manufacturers that I haven't actually owned, and most I've tried in gun shops. I finally settled on an Officer's sized 1911 for my current carry gun, but can't get over how heavy it is. Lately my buying/selling/trading has gotten completely out of hand trying to find "the one" it's getting ridiculous!

Yesterday I set out to see what I could find. I had some money in my pocket, a full tank of gas, and an understanding girlfriend that didn't mind tagging along on a 100+ mile road trip to visit 6 of my favorite gun shops. After spending most of the day playing with guns I haven't tried before and being severely disappointed, I was at the point where I thought I should just buy another Glock and make myself like it.

I ended up finding this little beauty:

It's even smaller than my mini-1911!

I loaded up my bags and a few other guns and headed to the range where I had some mixed success. I didn't clean the gun prior to shooting as upon field stripping there appeared to be a normal amount of oil inside the pistol with no left over bits from machining that I could see. I took 200 rounds with me laid out as follows: 50 147gr Winchester Silvertip JHP, 50 115gr Magtech FMJ, 50 115gr American Eagle FMJ, and 50 115gr Remington UMC JHP. I began with the American Eagle which fed fired and extracted all 50 cartridges. Towards the end of the box I had one magazine start failing to lock back. It happened 2 or 3 times then completely went away for the remainder of the day. The same magazine caused the failure and I could not get the problem to come back with any other ammo. I'm guessing it might have been part of break-in or I just wasn't seating the mag fully.

The second box, which was Remington JHP, went fine with no major complaints. Brass was being ejected towards my 4 o'clock maybe 3 yards away. It wasn't flinging brass, but left them in a nice neat spot on the ground. When I got into the third box, just after the 100 round mark I started getting failure to ejects. I scraped a little bit of buildup out from under the extractor with my knife and things started going smooth again. All in all I had maybe 10 failure to extracts from the second 100 rounds I put through it. Some ejection seemed weak, with the cases sitting neatly on top of the magazine when the slide locked back. Going through and cleaning the gun I found nothing out of the ordinary and by round 175 things seemed to have cleaned up a bit with the failures being more spread apart. When they started happening they were one right after another.

I don't trust the gun for carry yet. I'm hoping it just needs a bit of a break-in period as many other guns of this size do. If it continues through the next 200 rounds I'll be contacting the manufacturer to see what they suggest. The extractor looks like it's getting a good bite on the rim of the rounds I manually fed it and there seems to be plenty of tension so I'm not quite sure what to think of it.

I did find a holster at the gunshop I bought ammo from. Tagua Gunleather makes an IWB holster for the LC9 which fit this little Bersa like it was made for it.

Some folks think my problem might be a weak extractor spring or out of spec extractor. Does anyone have any input? All the other range reports I've seen have had no problems whatsoever. It was a slightly frustrating day

Re: BP9 issues

Well first off CONGRATS! I covet your purchase, they're all out around here so I have to wait! This is the first problem I've heard about, so good luck and I hope it works out for you.
    tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society -aristotle
    www.ggtf.userboard.net

Special Preferred Supporter JONESN's Avatar

Welcome to Bersa Chat skud! Sorry to hear you are having issues with your new BP9. Im thinkn a real spikn span cleaning & some good lube and a little more range time with some FMJ's should set her straight! Good Luck and keep us informed!

Thank you both for the warm welcome :)

I'm really hoping it's just a break-in issue because I really want to love this little gun. The size of a Kahr with the trigger of a Glock is pretty much my idea of heaven. I pulled the striker out to see if I get get to the extractor but I can't seem to figure out how the extractor itself comes out. I'm thinking there might be some gummed up mess around the spring or behind the extractor. Does anyone know how to get the danged thing outta there?

Super Moderator
    VIP Site Benefactor

My BP9 has been perfect from the first shot and has over 300 through it now. Most of the other owners report perfect operation as well. The stuff you call oil is a preservative. I would strongly suggest that you give the gun a good cleaning and put some lubricant on it. This includes removing the firing pin. I gooberd up the trigger mechanism and just about everything that moves with KG10 dry moly. I also put a touch of KG10 on the firing pin and internal spring. Flush the extractor really well and work it back and forth. I wouldn't be suprised if you found some metal chips and shavings when you clean it the first few times. I put Finish Line Dry Teflon on the rails.

Good luck.

Slingshot

I'm 200 rounds in with the BP9... all fired in one range trip. 150 PMC and Remington JHP rounds were flawless. However, Winchester White Box was a disaster. 8 or 10 failures to cycle in 20 rounds... brass stuck in the chamber... one just went click. And sometimes the round was sitting on the magazine just like you described. In a panic I went back to the PMC. Everything was fine again. I'm blaming the ammo. I'm almost convinced a few .380 rounds wound up in the box!

The trigger did pinch my finger once, until I adjusted.

I think you'll enjoy your new gun once it's broken in.

VIP Site Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by skud_dusty View Post
    I didn't clean the gun prior to shooting as upon field stripping there appeared to be a normal amount of oil inside the pistol with no left over bits from machining that I could see.
    Hi S_D and welcome to bersa chat.. I'm willing to bet your problem is what you saw in your gun was not oil. Its an anti corrosive shipping goo. As you shot your gun it was just clogging up with residue gummed up in the goo... Clean er out really really really extra good then apply some proper lube and I'll bet you will have better success. At any rate, at least get that "goo" out of there. Its not lube!

Best of Luck and let us know how your doing with it.

Thank you all for the kind words and great advice. I cleaned and lubed as normal and plan to spray everything out with polymer safe degreaser and relube before my next outing. I'll make sure to get the firing pin channel and extractor to see what gunk I can clear out. If this pistol works (which it sounds like it should) it will make an awesome carry gun and quite possibly be the one I've been waiting for. I'll update things as they come, although I'm not too worried about it. From what I've read even if I do have a problem the warranty smiths do excellent work and will be able to assist me with further issues.

Revolver

I'm never too surprised to hear people say they've had trouble with a new gun when they take it to the range without cleaning and lubing it first.

That stuff guns are soaked with when you take them out of the box is NOT oil, it's cosmoline or another preservative that has no lubricating qualities. One needs to dissassemble and clean thoroughly, then lube properly. I use oil on springs, barrel, and slide... and grease on the rails.

I also find racking the slide a hundred times helps to loosen things up... most pistols are made with very tight tolerances. Being thorough about some of this preparation usually helps to get a pistol off to a good start

Hi there....while (I'm happy to say) the majority of the folks that got the pistol are not having issues, these are mechanical entities and my experience was not the same.

I had some issues typically pretty much what you describe. After 50 rounds or so (around round 70 or 80) it would start failing to extract.

I would do some cleaning and it would last for another 50-60 rounds and would do it again, Also (occassionaly) the expended cartridge would hit me in the face. It went like this for three sessions, for a total of 300+ rounds.

I intend to use this pistol as a concealed carry firearm but as long as it is performing like this, I cannot.

So, right now it is on (what I hope is) a short visit to Reynerson's.......will keep you posted on the progress

Clean it up, try again and if it continues, write or call Eagle Imports (they are excellent folks to work with) and follow their
    recommendations.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

The stuff you call oil is a preservative

CLEAND YOUR PISTOL AND MAGS As every one saying that not oil. What you have done is really tested you pistol as to how it will work when full of gunk. Now by all that shooting you have made cleaning the preservative harder to clean .
    These pistols don't need a fluff and buff. For that matter the 5 Keltec's, I own have never needed the so called Fluff andBbuff. That was for Gen 1 KelTec and not needed any longer . I have a PF-9 and its a nice pistol. I got tired of waiting for the new Bersa as the ATF kept playing their games with it.

Good luck I sure after a good cleaning It will be fine.
    Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

^LOL @ Michael T. I'm one of those that heads straight to the range w/o cleaning. I call it my "real gun test"
    tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society -aristotle
    www.ggtf.userboard.net

Well I stripped the slide as far as I could, still not quite sure how to pull the extractor out though. I bought some polymer safe GunScrubber and went to down on the extractor, slide, and frame. Quite a bit of brown garbage came out, almost similar to cosmoline but not as thick. Afterwards I oiled everything like normal and the pistol feeds by hand a lot smoother now. I haven't shot it yet, but extraction seems to be about as good as it was the first 50 rounds. I plan on going out Friday and running another 200 rounds through it. Hopefully the problems have worked themselves out and I'll be back posting a success.

Moderator of the Year
    Official Bersa Chat Greeter

VIP Site Benefactor

Sounds like that "brown garbage" was the preservative they are shipped in. It tends to get sticky from heat & that'll definitely hinder proper operation. You may have solved the problem.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Today I went out and took the little Bersa shooting again. This time I only had a handful of problems, none of which I believe to be the pistol's fault. I was shooting 115gr TulAmmo (I believe the same company as Wolf) and had maybe 10 failure to fires in the 150 rounds that I shot. All of the rounds had a good solid primer strike and when chambered a second time the rounds fired just fine. I had no failures to fire with the Remington, Winchester, Magtech, or American Eagle so I'm fairly certain it's an ammo issue and not a problem with the gun. Next week I plan on buying some brass cased Federal to see if I can replicate the problem, but I don't believe it will have any issues. There was some weak extraction when I wasn't holding the pistol tightly, but it did not cause any failures the cases just didn't eject as far as when I held the pistol in a normal tight grip.

All in all I'm pretty impressed with this pistol and once I pass the 500-1k round mark I think it will become my main carry gun. Even with the cheapest ammo I can find the pistol still shot to point of aim and I was able to hit shogun hulls at 10-12 yards.

Tula is junk. It is the only ammo that I refuse to buy and use. JUNK! Only thing Tula works in is an AK or AR.
    "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine

I bought my BP9CC a few weeks ago. I cleaned and oiled it before putting any rounds through it. I put about 80 Remington 115 grain UMC through it with no problems. I then put 2 mags of Winchester 115 FMJ with no issue. I typically clean it any time I finish shooting for the day. Then today I had my first failure to eject with the Winchester ammo. Ended up with at least 5-6 FTE with the 2 mags I had loaded previously. Went back inside, cleaned and lubed again. Reloaded another mag of the Winchester and another FTE. Not happy. I'm hoping its the ammo, time will tell.

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

Commie ammo belongs in commie guns Not bersa .

I had some issues typically pretty much what you describe. After 50 rounds or so (around round 70 or 80) it would start failing to extract.

I would do some cleaning and it would last for another 50-60 rounds and would do it again, Also (occassionaly) the expended cartridge would hit me in the face. It went like this for three sessions, for a total of 300+ rounds.

I intend to use this pistol as a concealed carry firearm but as long as it is performing like this, I cann
    You have found a pattern Seems you pistol gets dirty has trouble Lets try different ammo. Not all ammo clean
    My self, If I know when clean it has shot 70 to 80 fired rounds then had failer. I would likely carry I never knew a SD shooting to go that many rounds. You have shown it seems to do after gets dirty from shooting NOT when clean. Again I would look at the ammo is this your SD brand or cheap ball
    I have never bought in to this must go x number of rounds before carry say 500 What happends if fails at 499. Do you start over ? Or went 500. Then you clean .Say ok , to carry . First time out you need and it fails . What did you test prove other than went 500 then failed on 501.When you needed it.
    I don't care what pistol does on my general play rounds . I want it to work with my SD rounds If clean and it will fire say 50 every time I try. With a clean pistol Then Iam not going to be real worried . Clean your SD gun at least once a week Sunday a good day.
    Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Tonight I bought some cheap Federal to see how that works. With how dirty the Tula stuff is I'm surprised the pistol didn't have any problems this last time out. It seems like it likes to be kept clean, but so far it's been great since I did a deep cleaning. I'm thinking a lot of it has to do with how much junk was inside the firing pin channel/extractor. Make sure you deep clean these spots before really testing the pistol or I'm sure you'll continue to have failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
    You have found a pattern Seems you pistol gets dirty has trouble Lets try different ammo. Not all ammo clean
    My self, If I know when clean it has shot 70 to 80 fired rounds then had failer. I would likely carry I never knew a SD shooting to go that many rounds. You have shown it seems to do after gets dirty from shooting NOT when clean. Again I would look at the ammo is this your SD brand or cheap ball
    I have never bought in to this must go x number of rounds before carry say 500 What happends if fails at 499. Do you start over ? Or went 500. Then you clean .Say ok , to carry . First time out you need and it fails . What did you test prove other than went 500 then failed on 501.When you needed it.
    I don't care what pistol does on my general play rounds . I want it to work with my SD rounds If clean and it will fire say 50 every time I try. With a clean pistol Then Iam not going to be real worried . Clean your SD gun at least once a week Sunday a good day.

I have tried it with WWB, Remington, reloads, SD, the pattern is the same. Ball, HP, the pattern is the same and they hit just as hard, when they hit my face.

Hopefully, it will be better when it comes back from Reynerson's (two weeks now). Will keep you posted!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast