TruRecoil Bersa Discount

Thread: Bersa Thunder 380 PROBLEM

Bersa Thunder 380 PROBLEM

The missus has carried a Thunder 380 for years. Today at the range, she brought it to me and said she had a jam. She cleared the jam but couldn't rack the slide. I could get the slide back about 1/4" and could see into the chamber that there was no live round but couldn't rack the slide with a fresh magazine in place. I got the pistol home and cleaned it thoroughly and remove the grips. I couldn't see ANYTHING wrong. During this cleaning, I put the slide back on and before reinstalling the grips, found I could rack the slide normally with a magazine in place. As soon as I put the grips on, I couldn't get the slide back. My wife uses rubber wrap grips from a Firestorm 22 so I changed to the stock grips and had the same problem. With the grips on, if I manually half-cock the trigger I can sometimes rack the slide. The mag release and safety seem to work normally. Anyone have any ideas?

As far as Bersa repairs, the warranty card says I have to send the weapon to a repair center on my dime. I initially registered the thing with Bersa. I am not sure I can find "proof of ownership". Guess I will have to call them to find out if this is a big deal. Which repair center is best?
    wiredgeorge
    Mico TX

Re: Bersa Thunder 380 PROBLEM

I am curious about that as well. I have lost my bill of sale on my bersa and was hoping I would not need it if it ever does break

I don't know about all the service centers, but CGW has never been too fussed about proof of purchase, in my experience. I've sent a couple of Bersa Thunder pistols in for warranty work and proof of purchase was never mentioned. If you're really concerned about it, call ahead and ask how critical it is to show proof of purchase.
    I'm no expert; I'm just, well...opinionated!

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/

Hell I can't show proof I bought mine . I don't think they make that big od deal.

Check and see if your e clip has broke or got lost it keeps the trigger bar in place under R/grip. . if that moves out of place can cause all sort of trouble. They can be bought locally cheap.
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

KILL the amnesty bill

SECURE our borders

DEPORT all illegals

ENFORCE current laws

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

The e-clip is in place. It is a metric e-ciip 2.3mm (standard size to go on a 3mm pin). I just couldn't see anything broken or obviously out of place. MUST BE since with the grip on, the arm is obviously not able to freely move to the rear (trigger to hammer connection).
    wiredgeorge
    Mico TX

Sent to John's Guns, Etc. a Texas (up near Waco) gunsmith who does repairs for Bersa. Sent the box UPS last Friday late in the afternoon and received the Bersa 380 back this afternoon. I called John, the owner and asked him what the issue was. He told me that he had only seen the problem once before this week and this week he had my 380 and a ladies in for warranty repair for the same issue. There is a pin that sets behind the draw bar called the HAMMER RELEASE CAM PIN. The draw bar is the bar that Michael T called the "trigger bar" in his reply. it is the bar that connects the trigger to the hammer. In any case, you remove this bar and under it is the HAMMER RELEASE CAM PIN. There are two pins and the other retains the hammer and it is larger diameter. The pin slipped within the frame and was contacting the draw bar aka trigger bar. You just take a punch and tap it back flush with the frame. You can't really stake the pin according to John because the frame is alloy and you will mess the frame up. He suggested a penetrating Loctite... just a little tad so that it doesn't seep down into the action and gum things up to retain the pin if it drifts again. In any case, the pistol was back in ONE WEEK and fixed so Bersa's warranty seems to be very solid. No proof of purchase was needed, as noted. Thanks! wg
    wiredgeorge
    Mico TX

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas
    Lone Star State .. .................of mind

Thanks for the update and information wg

Nice turn around time also.

regards jab
    Long story short, jab is a male.
    Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

VIP Site Supporter Americangirl01's Avatar

Great news, wiredgeorge. Thanks for the update and I'm glad your pistol is safely home.
    There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Bersa Chat Zone!

Moderator & Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

Good news wiredgeorge. I also appreciate the report on Lotts. They are closer to me than Reynerson's, in case I ever need their services.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

He seems like a good guy. As confused as I am about shipping firearms through UPS, I know I can ship during the week and it will get into John's hands withing 48 hours. The ground service is a lot cheaper than the more expedited services.
    wiredgeorge
    Mico TX

VIP Site Benefactor

Not so much anymore, but my wife & I enjoy a 1 or 2 day trip every now & then. Odds are, if I ever need their services, we'll just may make a sight seeing trip & hand deliver it.

Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    Sent to John's Guns, Etc. a Texas (up near Waco) gunsmith who does repairs for Bersa. Sent the box UPS last Friday late in the afternoon and received the Bersa 380 back this afternoon. I called John, the owner and asked him what the issue was. He told me that he had only seen the problem once before this week and this week he had my 380 and a ladies in for warranty repair for the same issue. There is a pin that sets behind the draw bar called the HAMMER RELEASE CAM PIN. The draw bar is the bar that Michael T called the "trigger bar" in his reply. it is the bar that connects the trigger to the hammer. In any case, you remove this bar and under it is the HAMMER RELEASE CAM PIN. There are two pins and the other retains the hammer and it is larger diameter. The pin slipped within the frame and was contacting the draw bar aka trigger bar. You just take a punch and tap it back flush with the frame. You can't really stake the pin according to John because the frame is alloy and you will mess the frame up. He suggested a penetrating Loctite... just a little tad so that it doesn't seep down into the action and gum things up to retain the pin if it drifts again. In any case, the pistol was back in ONE WEEK and fixed so Bersa's warranty seems to be very solid. No proof of purchase was needed, as noted. Thanks! wg
    Hey Wired,
    I just sent mine to JGE and did talk to John before I sent. I assume he did a great job on your Bersa. Right?
    I also found out If I take it to the PX, being a retired Marine. The PX sends it in on their Dime and John sends it back to them on Bersa's dime. I paid $56 for a repair local because UPS wanted $77 to send it to John
    Thanks

EDIT:
    I got my pistol back from JGE. Took 13 days total. I sent it on a Thursday 27 Feb and for it back Tuesday 11 March. Picked it up Wed 12 March and shot it the same day. Very happy. I posted my email to John in the repair thread but here it is again

John
    We talked Tuesday March 11, 2014. You asked if I had my gun yet. You sent it Friday. I told you the Camp LeJeune exchange was closed Monday so it may be a few days. One hour after we hung up I was picking up lunch and my wife called to say LeJeune had my gun. Since it was close to 4:30 and did not want to fight the base traffic to get home, I decided to pick the gun (Bersa .380 Thunder) the next morning Wednesday. I picked it up around 10 AM and shot at 4:00 PM. You did a great job and must have made the sights better because I put 47 out of 49 rounds of Magtech in the red. AKA Bullseye. I had mentioned to you the sights were lose and you replaced them. The problem that started it all was a broken hammer. I am really happy with the service and repairs. Thirteen days from the day I sent it to you, I got it back and you had a weekend gun show between getting it and fixing it. I am a happy Camper. I am going to post a copy of this email in Bersa’s chat forums.
    Thanks again John.
    Richard (Dick) ****
    Last edited by Dick; 03-13-2014 at 04:15 PM.

[QUOTE=
    As far as Bersa repairs, the warranty card says I have to send the weapon to a repair center on my dime. I initially registered the thing with Bersa. I am not sure I can find "proof of ownership". Guess I will have to call them to find out if this is a big deal. Which repair center is best?[/QUOTE]

Wired one other thing on the warranty thing. I sent my warranty card into Bersa or Eagle Imports for all three of my Bersa's My Thunder .380 CC. My .380 Thunder and My Ultra Compact 9 MM. I never got anything in the form of we got it but, they did start to send me their email Like I belong to a club thing. Like I said above. I just sent my .380 Thunder to John at JGE. I just talked to him on the phone and he was setting up for a gun show and I told him I would call back Monday.

I think if we sent the cards in we are ok. I also made a copy of the warranty card before I sent it in, I then made a copy of the copy and sent it with my gun to JGE. I think it will all be ok. I'll post when I get it back but would bet it will be all good

VIP Site Benefactor

Yes, if you registered it with Eagle, no further proof is necessary. Actually, I've sent in 2 American Classics, a Sig Sauer, A Rock Island & a Kel-Tec & no one has asked for proof of me being 1st owner, although I had my receipts just in case they did ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    Wired one other thing on the warranty thing. I sent my warranty card into Bersa or Eagle Imports for all three of my Bersa's My Thunder .380 CC. My .380 Thunder and My Ultra Compact 9 MM. I never got anything in the form of we got it but, they did start to send me their email Like I belong to a club thing. Like I said above. I just sent my .380 Thunder to John at JGE. I just talked to him on the phone and he was setting up for a gun show and I told him I would call back Monday.

I think if we sent the cards in we are ok. I also made a copy of the warranty card before I sent it in, I then made a copy of the copy and sent it with my gun to JGE. I think it will all be ok. I'll post when I get it back but would bet it will be all good

Update March 16/2014 I got my Bersa .380 thunder back Wednesday this past week. Picked it up at LeJeune PX wed at 1000. 1630 I was shooting it. Put 47 out of 49 in the red. JGE in Lott TX did the repairs. I am very happy all around. Mine had a broken hammer. Talking to John on the phone I mentioned the front sight moved. He replaced it. I see Wolfgang on here and everyone who deals with him, loves him. I would not have a problem with him either. I actually followed Wolfgang's advice on ensuring the E-clip was in the groove and Thank you Wolfgang for that.

I've used John before. Drove it over one day and went back and picked it up the next. Great service.
    Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Instructor, IDPA
    NRA Pistol Trainer
    NRA Range Safety Officer