TruRecoil Bersa Discount

Thread: 5.56MM Ammo Cans @ Wal Mart

5.56MM Ammo Cans @ Wal Mart

The 1st I've heard about this ammo. They are using a new 7.62 ammo can or 30 caliber one for their 5.56MM/420 rds./62gr./XM855LC ammo that is on strippers ( No Mason, ammo strippers). They are sell them for $149. My local store had 4 cans. I had the clerk show me one. It's a new can and all the bullets are light green tipped in individual boxes inside.

Here's what they look like: http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...oducts_id/5711
    “Big bullets let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.”
    -
    Elmer Keith

VIP Site Supporter Rollin Thunder's Avatar

Re: 5.56MM Ammo Cans @ Wal Mart

WOW! steel core, green tipped, penetrating ammo, sold at wallyworld
    Don't worry about the guns, send lawyers and money.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident, which everyone has decided not to see.”
    Ayn Rand

Yep, the clerk also told me they sold 2 AR-15s this week. One was in the glass display. I didn't notice it's price. Those AR-15 rifles are very light to me, I'd rather have something with some meat.
    -
    Elmer Keith

Moderator & Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

The AR at this Walmart is $897.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Super Moderator
    VIP Site Supporter

If that is true green tip AP from Lake City it is illegal in the State of Florida. I wonder how they are pulling that one off? I have no need for a light weight AP round, jump to a 50 and now you are in a different ball game.
    Life Member.. My Second Amendment Voice.

If you want your ammo on stripper clips buy this. Not green tip. Free shipping and no sales tax. http://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-116...strippers.aspx

I bought some green tip a few months back when I bought the Colt 5.56 but I haven't shot it. I just wanted to have it for, well because I wanted to have it! Like RC says there is no need for it and if you aren't careful you can tear up the range.

If you need the green tip (or want it for some reason) they have it here too. http://proammo.us1.list-manage1.com/...d&e=b521889496

What's wrong with the green tips? I believe they come in red too, right?
    -
    Elmer Keith

Green tips Have a steel core with tungsten to penetrate light armor and the red tips are the same except tracers.

Preferred Site Supporter Falcon's Avatar

Green tip 5.56 will go through 3/8" steel plate at 200 yards. Don't shoot your steel targets with it unless you want holes in them. I got a box of 62 gr. green tip from walley world 3 weeks ago. Plan to get another this month before they quit selling it. It works wonders on hogs. They don't go far after you hit them.

Stop pissing me off, I'm running out of places to hide all the bodies.!!!!!!!

Excellent Photos, Falcon

That's exactly what my WM has. Can that caliber bring down a deer too? I wonder how the Sig Sauer P556 shoots
    -
    Elmer Keith

On deer you would want the bullet to expand if not shooting the head or spine, but yes it will. In fact they are now legal in GA to hunt deer as they dropped the caliber to 22 awhile back as long as it's centerfire and expandable. I do not speak from experience on this though.

You guys have cool walmarts. Ours sells BB Guns, air soft guns, and mussel loaders and that is it :(

The M855 was designed to penetrate helmets and it does a good job of that. It was designed during the cold war to fight large lightly armored armies. It will also penetrate steel/glass car doors/windows, etc. but does not stay on target well after penetrating (not a good thing in Iraq/Afghanistan when dealing with suicide car bombers). Another problem with 855 is that it does not tumble as well as the 193 on impact...therefore is not as effective against someone NOT wearing body armor (such as is also the case in Afghanistan). So, in Afghanistan/Iraq it didn't fit two of the most common scenarios...no body armor and attacks in cars where the round would not stay on target...so it is being phased out. The marines dropped it first because it caused particular issues with their shorter barrels.

Also, the indoor shooting ranges around here will not allow green tip which is a big problem for me.

In my "most likely" SHTF scenarios I think there would be much more use for M193 which is still the best against unarmored personnel and is the cheapest to shoot. My .556 stash is about 80% M193 and the remainder a mixture of M855, Black Hills match ammo, and a small amount of the MK318 mod 0 that the marines adopted for use in Afghanistan (stays on target after penetrating barriers).

If you want to buy quality in bulk Weidners carrys both the IMI 193 and IMI 855 in 1200 round cases. It is the first quality Israeli stuff, not Lake City seconds.

From what I've read, this is not seconds, It is first run ammo. It just is not as pretty and shiny as the military grade ammo. Thats why it's cheap.

I buy it for hog and coyote hunting, not for SD. I'm like you about the M193, it's more of a man killer but this has it's place in the ammo stash for the SHTF event. I keep 4, 30 round mags loaded with it at all times.

As far as deer hunting, yes it will kill a deer but I want a expanding bullet over this. I have a cousin that hunts only with 223 55 grain hollow points. He kills several deer a year up to 250-300 yard shots.

Yes, I definitely keep some around as it has its purpose. People sometimes get enamored with the penetrating capability without understanding that it compromises other areas of performance which are more likely to be needed in SHTF. I would have mags loaded mostly with 193 with a few mags of MK318, which is currently state of the art in terms of barrier penetration. But the 318 is too expensive at present so I have a limited amount. A can or two of affordable 855 to back up the 318 is a good compromise. If money was no object I would be stocked up completely on MK318.

When you get ready to refill those cans you can get 1200 rounds of IMI M855 from Widners for $346. Or if you want it for target shooting or zombie killing and don't need the armor piercing you can pick up 1200 rounds of the IMI m193 for $318.

I bookmarked that site for when I get more cash, I going to get some of the 193 in the 1200 rd. box. Have you had good luck ordering from them? I have seen some other deals on it but it was loose ammo. I don't like it that way as some of it gets dented and banged around in the box. I only have 12 mags right now and only 4 with 855. They are the last resort mags. My others are 20 rd. each and they have FMJ & HP's of various ammo. I seem to prefer the 20 over the 30's and they are cheaper.

I think most folks like to play with the 855 ammo, not realizing it's intended purpose. I was at the county range yesterday and there were some new holes in the steel target at 100 yds. I also saw some burned brush, guess someone had some tracers also. Now those I do not have and see no need for. If I'm in a defensive engagement, I do not want BG following my shots back to me.

It is strange that we can get this ammo at walley world, yet my store does not sell guns, just the ammo.