TruRecoil Bersa Discount
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aguila 22 LR 30 gr Super Maximum HP 1750/fps

Re: Aguila 22 LR 30 gr Super Maximum HP 1750/fps

The deformation into a .38 wadcutter shape doesn't appear to affect the accuracy much, but according to Firearms Tactical you will only get a little over 7" of penetration. Depending upon how much clothes the BG is wearing and where the bullet hits, that may or may not be enough to get the job done. I'd rather pack my .380 or 9mm with at least triple the grain count, thank you.
    "A Bible that's falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't." --Charles Spurgeon

Slingshot

I don't remember seeing those big holes when I shot stingers (need to try again to be sure), yet the speed and the expanded bullets didn't look all that different in the tests (though the stingers had some fragmentation in gel alone). The aquilas expanded much less when shot through denim, one round hardly at all, which I think rules out, or at least decreases the probability that these bullets are expanding before they hit the target. My backboard is plywood with a big hole shot out of the center of it. These size hole were made when the bullet passed through the paper target alone, and also when the paper was backed by the plywood. Same effect when shot through cardboard alone. It is puzzle.

Slingshot

I should of been cutting firewood or moving feed, but I went to the pit instead. The first mag was aquila 30 gr. hollow point. Big holes. Second was the same, but the solid point: same big holes, couldn't really tell them apart, both made 3/8' holes, some holes more jagged around the edges than others, but this did not seem specific to one type of round. Third was the 1740fps aquila 40 grain. Holes were 1/4 inch. Same clean cut around the edges as the 30 grain. Stingers and velocetors made funnel shaped holes, the holes themselves being about 1/8 inch. Then I shot 500 blazers, 300 through the ruger MK III, and 200 through the Thunder. The blazers made holes much like the stingers. I also tried 50 of the CCI AR tactical bulk. They functioned perfectly, and along with 10 of the aquila 40 grain, cleaned out the leading left by the blazers.
    Last edited by The Hayman; 11-13-2011 at 05:02 PM.

I just contributed $4.68 to the research by purchasing a box of this stuff. A few of the bullets appear to be filled with some kind of wax (could be a lube overfill). Others look like they have a recessed conical implant like Hornady Critical Defense ammo. The rest are normal hollow points. I haven't got the tools or steady hands for it, but it would be interesting if one of you dissect the bullet to determine in hopes of finding a clue to the mystery.

By the way, some posters on the Marlin boards are antsy about what a steady diet of this stuff will do to their semi-auto .22 rifles and recommend shooting it only through a bolt action, lever or top-break. Aftermarket buffers for Ruger 10/22s seem to be immune to the dangers, but Marlins are not so protected, they claim. Anybody here with a Model 60 want to take it to the next level?
    "A Bible that's falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't." --Charles Spurgeon

Slingshot

Just curious: Has anyone ever shot any of the 22LR red or green tracer bullets thru their BT22's? If so, what were the results?

Okay, back from the range and reporting that the Aguila made normal holes, not perfect ones. This may have been due to the paper target hanging in mid air and not fastened to a rigid backing material such as cardboard. At any rate, the rounds did not group as well in my Ruger 10/22 as the Stingers and Velocitors. They did give tighter patterns out of my T22, but it was too much trouble clearing the action from FTFs and FTEs. I'll revisit them after my pistol gets broke in better, but until then the Velocitors take the hyper velocity honors.

Rock
    Virginia, near Quantico & Fredericksburg Va.

Quote Originally Posted by gun sane View Post
    Okay, back from the range and reporting that the Aguila made normal holes, not perfect ones. This may have been due to the paper target hanging in mid air and not fastened to a rigid backing material such as cardboard.
    That was my experience with this ammo in the Bersa, and my other .22s as well. Only the TPH gave me this unusual, wadcutter hole" result, which occured in hanging paper targets backed by cardboard.

Slingshot

I could have sworn I got the big holes shooting through unbacked targets. Even went back and looked at the target......Guess I'll have to go shoot some more Aquilas.

Slingshot

The target I photographed for post #12 of this thread was suspended by spring clips at the top, attaching them to a cardboard backer which was in turn attached to the cable system at the indoor range. Distance was 5 to 7 yards. I don't recall exactly.

Flintlock

So. is the consensus of shooting this ammo through a Bersa, that it will not harm this gun???

Snake

Quote Originally Posted by Ssssnake View Post
    So. is the consensus of shooting this ammo through a Bersa, that it will not harm this gun???
    It might get hit by a ricochet.

Flintlock

It appears it might be like p+ ammo for the Bersa or any 22.cal pistol. Think I will stay away from it..

Quote Originally Posted by The Hayman View Post
    Mine is one that was delivered with a "lip" that shaved a chunk off the nose of each bullet as it was chambered. I ground the lip down a bit at a time, until the bullets chambered without any shaving. I did this with a dremel tool. I posted a picture of the wheel I used...
    Hey Hay, I wonder if you would be kind enough to provide more detail on exactly what you did and the materials you used to grind down the lip, I assume, where the ramp butts up against the chamber.
    Last edited by critterdoc; 01-11-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    Non immemor beneficii / Crom a Boo / Islam delenda est

Slingshot

I used the wheel pictured. The part of the ramp that is formed by the barrel overhung the part of the ramp formed by the frame. I ground the barrel part until it was smooth and flush with the frame part. I did this very carefully, a liitle bit at a time, and did not even nick the nickel finish of the frame. I may have been very lucky, but I impatient and a return seemed a bother when it seemed I could fix it myself. I also included a picture of a Aquila 40 gr. hypervelocity bullet that had been chambered before the fix. Hmmm, it said the pictures downloaded but I can't see them, will try again later. I still can't seem to post the pics, here is a link to the thread where I posted them before, partway down the thread. http://www.bersachat.com/forums/show...-compatibility
    Last edited by The Hayman; 01-11-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
    45 ball expands to 12" in flight hits target and destroys. Then up on stopping shrinks back to 45. That the secret of the 45 stopping power The design for pistol and bullet was given to John Browning by aliens.
    Yea, I heard that too!

Slingshot

I shot some of the solid 30gr supermax today out of my Beretta Bobcat.

Target was unbacked paper and some of the holes were large, some where 22 sized, others were somewhere in the middle.

There were 2-3 that were perfect 38 wadcutter sized in the mix.

I should've saved the target but I was there just function testing a new mag so it didn't dawn on me until after I had left.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12