TruRecoil Bersa Discount
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aguila 22 LR 30 gr Super Maximum HP 1750/fps

Aguila 22 LR 30 gr Super Maximum HP 1750/fps

Anyone tried this ammo in their Bersa T22? I'm going to try it Saturday In my T22 and my GSG 1911.
    Too Old To Fight, Too Lazy To Run

Super Moderator
    VIP Site Supporter

Re: Aguila 22 LR 30 gr Super Maximum HP 1750/fps

I think the 25% reduction in the bullet weight will off set the velocity. In other words it may not cycle the action of a stock BT-22
    Life Member.. My Second Amendment Voice.

I have tried it in my FS22's and it doesn't feed well. I think the ridge on the bullet catches on the ramp. The 40 gr Aguilla is my favorite 22ammo.

Super Moderator
    One of the Kahunas
    Lone Star State .. .................of mind

Quote Originally Posted by colt380 View Post
    Anyone tried this ammo in their Bersa T22? I'm going to try it Saturday In my T22 and my GSG 1911.
    I tried it in my model 23 and it works great, cycles good, makes loud bang sound and makes bigger holes in paper. I killed a 9" paper plate dead.
    Long story short, jab is a male.
    Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

Slingshot

After some ramp work mine feeds both without a problem. The 30 gr hollow point leaves the biggest hole.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hayman View Post
    After some ramp work mine feeds both without a problem.
    What kind of "ramp work?"
    I'm no expert; I'm just, well...opinionated!

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/

Slingshot

Mine is one that was delivered with a "lip" that shaved a chunk off the nose of each bullet as it was chambered. I ground the lip down a bit at a time, until the bullets chambered without any shaving. I did this with a dremel tool. I posted a picture of the wheel I used and one of the bullets with a chunk shaved off it a while ago, but I don't remember the name of the thread. The ramp is smooth now, you cannot feel the lip anymore (which was a sharp knife like edge, part of the barrel that over hung the ramp part of the frame) if you run a pick up the ramp. The Aquila 30 grains would not feed well before, but feed flawlessly now. I am also wondering if the shaved lead has been contributing to the leading problems I and others have having. I had the leading problem mostly with blazers, and thought it was likely an amo problem. I need more time at the pit (my range) before I have definite answers. My ruger mark III didn't seem to lead up with the blazers, but I was interrupted and only got about sixty round through before I had to quit. It took ~150 rounds to lead up the thunder, and there have been zero blazers through the thunder since the ramp work was completed, so the jury is still out. I apologize for meandering off topic, but felt the whole story would be best.
    Last edited by The Hayman; 10-29-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Rock
    Virginia, near Quantico & Fredericksburg Va.

I've used a small amount of this ammo through my T22 and it worked fine. In some other shorter barreled pistols this ammo gave some unusual results in that the bullet expanded in air and punched a perfectly round wadcutter like hole. It didn't happen using the Bersa though.

Stingers are my favorite ammo as they look and feel like a real round... a huge fire ball and recoil one can detect.

Slingshot

ripley16
    I have seen the 9 mm size holes in the targets from those Aquila 30 gr. hollow points, but wonder if your comment about them "expanding in air" is true. The round nose hypervelocity make almost the same size hole, just more ragged around the edges. Do you have any evidence that these bullets are actually expanding in the air before they hit the target?

Thanks,
    The Hayman

Most be some super soft lead to expand in air, had a 7mm round seem that way last week with an entrance hole of @ 4" in diameter

Rock

Do you have any evidence that these bullets are actually expanding in the air before they hit the target?
    The pistol in use when this odd thing happened was a Walther TPH. Proof, evidence? Just my eyes, but the only thing between my muzzle and the paper target the bullets cut through was air. I suspect the barrel lengh, particular lead used, the amount of powder charge and perhaps some other unknown factor caused this phenomenon. The holes were consistent, very round, as I said, they were wadcutter like. I should have taken a photo. The range owner didn't believe it until he fired a couple rounds himself.

Slingshot

.22 or 9mm.jpg

Here you go. The guy running the shooting range swore the target was shot with a 9mm pistol, not the .22 Bersa

Was shooting them yesterday at the range in my GSG. Side by side with CCI Mini Mags these sure made a bigger hole. Was shooting at 21 feet. My GSG did choke on them 3 or 4 times.
    Too Old To Fight, Too Lazy To Run

Being the curious sort, I nosed around the internet to see if anyone else was reporting this air expansion phenomena. Although I couldn't find a corroborating report, there were some interesting results posted on another forum and a ballistics website.

One guy fired this round out of a Beretta Bobcat (about a 2" barrel) through a 3/8" layer of carpeting tacked to a 2x4. He noticed splintering about a half-dollar in size on the other side and peeled the wood back. There was the expanded round with but a 1/16 of an inch to go before exiting.

On the ballistics website the Aguila round was fired through a Ruger 22/45 into bare gelatin. They got about 7" of penetration, but the interesting thing to me was that the spent bullet resembled an M&M candy in shape and size, smoother than a baby's butt. When fired through denim it was, of course, disfigured but about the same diameter of expansion.

I haven't priced the Aguila against a Stinger, but from these reports I might gamble a few dollars and see what they do in my T22 after I break it in some more. I'll definitely run it through my Ruger 10/22 and see how much oomph I get.
    "A Bible that's falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't." --Charles Spurgeon

Slingshot

Last time I was at the pit: Blazers dropped to the ground after passing through a 1 inch (planed to 3/4) board and could be picked up off the ground just a few inches beyond the board. I could not find any from the stingers or aquilas that I shot at the same time. I found some WWB 380s with their nose just protruding from the back side of rough 2x4s (the 2 inch way), some that had made it all the way through, some that hadn't made it through the 2 inches. (The problem with using wood as a test media is that density can vary within the same board). Anyway, what I am trying to say is that is one impressive .22 round, and it seems to actually expand too. Any chance of a link to the forum comments that you mentioned. Thanks gun sane!

The guy who shot the 2x4 has a user name of kinnykins at thehighroad.com. His report is at the bottom page one here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=273550

Firearmstactical.com did the ballistic test. Their findings are here:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/test...smhv-r2245.htm
    "A Bible that's falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't." --Charles Spurgeon

Slingshot

Thanks once more gun sane. Interesting that the one round that didn't expand much (denim covered) went 14.2 inches through the gel. Would love to see more about these 30 grain rounds, both the hollow and solid points, as well as the 1470 ft/sec aquila 40 gr. (which I just read pretty much gutted a rabbit with a single shot). All three have become my favorites. I have tried their 60 gr. subsonics in the thunder as well. I had a few stove pipes with those that I blamed on the short case, but now that my ramp is smooth, I'll give them another try as well.
    Last edited by The Hayman; 11-13-2011 at 08:50 AM.

45 ball expands to 12" in flight hits target and destroys. Then up on stopping shrinks back to 45. That the secret of the 45 stopping power The design for pistol and bullet was given to John Browning by aliens.
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

KILL the amnesty bill

SECURE our borders

DEPORT all illegals

ENFORCE current laws

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Rock

Quote Originally Posted by gun sane View Post
    Being the curious sort, I nosed around the internet to see if anyone else was reporting this air expansion phenomena. Although I couldn't find a corroborating report, there were some interesting results posted on another forum and a ballistics website.
    Here are a couple other reports, one with a photo, of this "wadcutter" type hole being made by hypervelocity .22s.
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ight=wadcutter

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ight=wadcutter

Anyone have an explaination as to how this happens?

Slingshot

And stingers from the site don't look to bad either:
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/test...stgr-r2245.htm
    not to hijack the thread, just as a comparison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast