TruRecoil Bersa Discount

Thread: Winchester SXZ 9mm/115gr. Ammo Test

Winchester SXZ 9mm/115gr. Ammo Test

Hello Bersa Chat Members!

This is a ammo test using the Winchester SXZ ammo in the 9mm/115 grain caliber. It was fired from a G-Lock 17 from a distance of 8 feet against 4 layers of denim & water jugs. A neighbor loaned me his G-Lock to try out and our own B.C. Member, gschnarr, surprised me with a ammo gift I found in my mailbox (unlike the empty ammo case boxes I ship to M.T. ).

A look of the back sides of jug #1 (left) and jug #2 (right):

The bullet was found in the 4th jug (24") with a big indention on it's back.

The Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ud-UraJZIg
    Last edited by NCFlyfisher; 08-24-2011 at 01:28 AM.
    “Big bullets let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.”
    -
    Elmer Keith

Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

Re: Winchester SXZ 9mm/115gr. Ammo Test

Looks like this could be another good SD option. Thanks Fly & gschnarr!
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Since we're breaking new ground here, I went to other boards to find out about this ammo. (I didn't want to do it, MT...I had too.) Winchester just took their WWB 9mm JHP and coated it with black oxide, which they call Lubalox, to reduce barrel fouling caused by friction. They put it in a snazzy box and called it SXZ. Just like the old Black Talon became the Ranger SXT (meaning Same eXact Thing), Winchester again "improves" the same old ammo with a sizzling new look. It's good stuff, nonetheless.
    "A Bible that's falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't." --Charles Spurgeon

Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor

Wouldn't be the first time an ammo manufacturer did something like that. Federal has a HP out which is supposedly the same as their HST, but cheaper. Just isn't called 'tactical'.

On another note, the Glock 17 has 4.49" barrel. I would think there would be much difference between it & the 4.25" barrel of the HC, but what about the UC with 1.24" shorter barrel?
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Thanks Fly. After receiving a letter from the fish pleading for me to send you some more ammo to take your mind off fishing, I found the bullets in the local Bass Pro. They look like they are a winner. Now I feel better about using them in my 9uc.
    Once I was young and stupid. Now that I am no longer young-----

Super Moderator
    VIP Site Supporter

Anyone see what I saw? A CHRONOGRAPH is it yours?
    Life Member.. My Second Amendment Voice.

Good penetration but the petals don't appear to be strong enough to hold their shape ... they are just bent back. I have liked the Ranger T and this looks like a 3rd of 4th choice. I would go with HST or Corbon DPX before this.

Thanks for another great review Fly! I know it takes a lot of time and hard work to put this together. I just dread the day you get a girlfriend and then there will be no more free time for you and we will have seen the last of the jug testing. : (

Quote Originally Posted by gschnarr View Post
    Thanks Fly. After receiving a letter from the fish pleading for me to send you some more ammo to take your mind off fishing, I found the bullets in the local Bass Pro. They look like they are a winner. Now I feel better about using them in my 9uc.
    Good point, gschnarr I was on bended knee pleading for ammo, LOL Thanks for coming through once again, Sir Glad you like the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald Carstairs View Post
    Anyone see what I saw? A CHRONOGRAPH is it yours?
    R.C., that was a very nice surprise I thought too. My neighbor who I met on another gun forum and told me about the local USPSA shooting loaned it out for this test. He also gave me some Speer handgun ammo for hunting to try out too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pond Scum View Post
    Good penetration but the petals don't appear to be strong enough to hold their shape ... they are just bent back. I have liked the Ranger T and this looks like a 3rd of 4th choice. I would go with HST or Corbon DPX before this.

Thanks for another great review Fly! I know it takes a lot of time and hard work to put this together. I just dread the day you get a girlfriend and then there will be no more free time for you and we will have seen the last of the jug testing. : (
    Aha, I'll miss you all too Maybe I can add a "ammo testing clause" to a dating/marriage prenup Plus add water jugs instead of beer cans to the tailgate...

Quote Originally Posted by gun sane View Post
    Since we're breaking new ground here, I went to other boards to find out about this ammo. (I didn't want to do it, MT...I had too.) Winchester just took their WWB 9mm JHP and coated it with black oxide, which they call Lubalox, to reduce barrel fouling caused by friction. They put it in a snazzy box and called it SXZ. Just like the old Black Talon became the Ranger SXT (meaning Same eXact Thing), Winchester again "improves" the same old ammo with a sizzling new look. It's good stuff, nonetheless.
    Excellent comments, Gun Sane. I did read from other forums to gather intel about this bullet before I posted the results. I have to say the SXZ is totally different than the SXT. The nose of the SXT resembles the Winchester's Ranger T's brand & their PDX-1 product line. Here are a few photos of the SXT I have. I do not have any more SXZ ammo since I fired it but maybe gschnarr could post a few pics of what I tested.

-
    Elmer Keith

Here is one of my poor pictures of the SXZ

sxz.jpg
    Once I was young and stupid. Now that I am no longer young-----

Quote Originally Posted by gschnarr View Post
    Here is one of my poor pictures of the SXZ

sxz.jpg
    Thanks, gschnarr!

On another forum someone said these are the WWB JHP (USA9JHP) with the Lubalox coating.

See this photo: http://jet3.hasweb.com/~chevyboy/che...P_DSC00566.jpg
    -
    Elmer Keith

I can't keep track of all the different types of ammo winchester puts out. They've successfully confused the issue for me. This round looks pretty good, though. Great job as usual, Fly. Hope the hurricane leaves you alone.