TruRecoil Bersa Discount
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Winchester SXZ 9mm/115gr. Ammo Test

  1. #1
    Supporting Member NCFlyfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 01 2010
    Location
    Western North Carolina
    Posts
    6,066

    Winchester SXZ 9mm/115gr. Ammo Test

    Hello Bersa Chat Members!

    This is a ammo test using the Winchester SXZ ammo in the 9mm/115 grain caliber. It was fired from a G-Lock 17 from a distance of 8 feet against 4 layers of denim & water jugs. A neighbor loaned me his G-Lock to try out and our own B.C. Member, gschnarr, surprised me with a ammo gift I found in my mailbox (unlike the empty ammo case boxes I ship to M.T. ).



    A look of the back sides of jug #1 (left) and jug #2 (right):



    The bullet was found in the 4th jug (24") with a big indention on it's back.





    The Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ud-UraJZIg
    Last edited by NCFlyfisher; 08-24-2011 at 01:28 AM.
    “Big bullets let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.”
    -
    Elmer Keith

  2. #2
    Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor
    mitchr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 01 2010
    Posts
    19,565

    Re: Winchester SXZ 9mm/115gr. Ammo Test

    Looks like this could be another good SD option. Thanks Fly & gschnarr!
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

  3. #3
    VIP Site Supporter gun sane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 14 2010
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    11,945

    Re: Winchester SXZ 9mm/115gr. Ammo Test

    Since we're breaking new ground here, I went to other boards to find out about this ammo. (I didn't want to do it, MT...I had too.) Winchester just took their WWB 9mm JHP and coated it with black oxide, which they call Lubalox, to reduce barrel fouling caused by friction. They put it in a snazzy box and called it SXZ. Just like the old Black Talon became the Ranger SXT (meaning Same eXact Thing), Winchester again "improves" the same old ammo with a sizzling new look. It's good stuff, nonetheless.
    "A Bible that's falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't." --Charles Spurgeon


  4. #4
    Bersa Chat Greeter
    VIP Site Benefactor
    mitchr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 01 2010
    Posts
    19,565

    Re: Winchester SXZ 9mm/115gr. Ammo Test

    Wouldn't be the first time an ammo manufacturer did something like that. Federal has a HP out which is supposedly the same as their HST, but cheaper. Just isn't called 'tactical'.

    On another note, the Glock 17 has 4.49" barrel. I would think there would be much difference between it & the 4.25" barrel of the HC, but what about the UC with 1.24" shorter barrel?
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

  5. #5
    VIP Site Supporter gschnarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 02 2010
    Location
    Saint Peters, MO
    Posts
    385

    Re: Winchester SXZ 9mm/115gr. Ammo Test

    Thanks Fly. After receiving a letter from the fish pleading for me to send you some more ammo to take your mind off fishing, I found the bullets in the local Bass Pro. They look like they are a winner. Now I feel better about using them in my 9uc.
    Once I was young and stupid. Now that I am no longer young-----

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    VIP Site Supporter
    Reginald Carstairs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 28 2010
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    6,826

    Re: Winchester SXZ 9mm/115gr. Ammo Test

    Anyone see what I saw? A CHRONOGRAPH is it yours?
    Life Member.. My Second Amendment Voice.

  7. #7
    VIP Site Benefactor Pond Scum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 01 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    4,293

    Re: Winchester SXZ 9mm/115gr. Ammo Test

    Good penetration but the petals don't appear to be strong enough to hold their shape ... they are just bent back. I have liked the Ranger T and this looks like a 3rd of 4th choice. I would go with HST or Corbon DPX before this.


    Thanks for another great review Fly! I know it takes a lot of time and hard work to put this together. I just dread the day you get a girlfriend and then there will be no more free time for you and we will have seen the last of the jug testing. : (

  8. #8
    Supporting Member NCFlyfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 01 2010
    Location
    Western North Carolina
    Posts
    6,066

    Re: Winchester SXZ 9mm/115gr. Ammo Test

    Quote Originally Posted by gschnarr View Post
    Thanks Fly. After receiving a letter from the fish pleading for me to send you some more ammo to take your mind off fishing, I found the bullets in the local Bass Pro. They look like they are a winner. Now I feel better about using them in my 9uc.
    Good point, gschnarr I was on bended knee pleading for ammo, LOL Thanks for coming through once again, Sir Glad you like the results.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald Carstairs View Post
    Anyone see what I saw? A CHRONOGRAPH is it yours?
    R.C., that was a very nice surprise I thought too. My neighbor who I met on another gun forum and told me about the local USPSA shooting loaned it out for this test. He also gave me some Speer handgun ammo for hunting to try out too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pond Scum View Post
    Good penetration but the petals don't appear to be strong enough to hold their shape ... they are just bent back. I have liked the Ranger T and this looks like a 3rd of 4th choice. I would go with HST or Corbon DPX before this.

    Thanks for another great review Fly! I know it takes a lot of time and hard work to put this together. I just dread the day you get a girlfriend and then there will be no more free time for you and we will have seen the last of the jug testing. : (
    Aha, I'll miss you all too Maybe I can add a "ammo testing clause" to a dating/marriage prenup Plus add water jugs instead of beer cans to the tailgate...

    Quote Originally Posted by gun sane View Post
    Since we're breaking new ground here, I went to other boards to find out about this ammo. (I didn't want to do it, MT...I had too.) Winchester just took their WWB 9mm JHP and coated it with black oxide, which they call Lubalox, to reduce barrel fouling caused by friction. They put it in a snazzy box and called it SXZ. Just like the old Black Talon became the Ranger SXT (meaning Same eXact Thing), Winchester again "improves" the same old ammo with a sizzling new look. It's good stuff, nonetheless.
    Excellent comments, Gun Sane. I did read from other forums to gather intel about this bullet before I posted the results. I have to say the SXZ is totally different than the SXT. The nose of the SXT resembles the Winchester's Ranger T's brand & their PDX-1 product line. Here are a few photos of the SXT I have. I do not have any more SXZ ammo since I fired it but maybe gschnarr could post a few pics of what I tested.



    “Big bullets let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.”
    -
    Elmer Keith

  9. #9
    VIP Site Supporter gschnarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 02 2010
    Location
    Saint Peters, MO
    Posts
    385

    Re: Winchester SXZ 9mm/115gr. Ammo Test

    Here is one of my poor pictures of the SXZ




    sxz.jpg
    Once I was young and stupid. Now that I am no longer young-----

  10. #10
    Supporting Member NCFlyfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 01 2010
    Location
    Western North Carolina
    Posts
    6,066

    Re: Winchester SXZ 9mm/115gr. Ammo Test

    Quote Originally Posted by gschnarr View Post
    Here is one of my poor pictures of the SXZ

    sxz.jpg
    Thanks, gschnarr!

    On another forum someone said these are the WWB JHP (USA9JHP) with the Lubalox coating.

    See this photo: http://jet3.hasweb.com/~chevyboy/che...P_DSC00566.jpg
    “Big bullets let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.”
    -
    Elmer Keith

  11. #11
    Preferred Site Supporter Bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 04 2010
    Location
    Directly above the center of the earth
    Posts
    753

    Re: Winchester SXZ 9mm/115gr. Ammo Test

    I can't keep track of all the different types of ammo winchester puts out. They've successfully confused the issue for me. This round looks pretty good, though. Great job as usual, Fly. Hope the hurricane leaves you alone.

Similar Threads

  1. Cor Bon 9mm/115gr./+P/#SD09115/20/JHP Ammo Test
    By NCFlyfisher in forum 9MM Ammo Tests
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-28-2012, 03:11 PM
  2. Winchester Ranger T 380ACP Ammo Test
    By NCFlyfisher in forum .380 Ammo Tests
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 03:42 AM
  3. Winchester RA45T +P Ammo Test
    By NCFlyfisher in forum .45 Ammo Tests
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-28-2010, 12:33 AM
  4. Winchester RA9T 9mm/127 gr./ +P+ Ammo Test
    By NCFlyfisher in forum 9MM Ammo Tests
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 02:26 PM
  5. FBI Ammo Test Protocol-Winchester PDX1
    By woodshiker in forum Ammo Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 05:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •