PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding...

mojodawg
01-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Hello everyone. New to the forum and after much research, I have decided to purchase a bersa .380. I just need a little help deciding which one to buy. As for function - it will likely be a part time carry / fun at the range gun. Here are some models I am looking at (prices are all about the same)....

1) Bersa Thunder .380 in matte black. Classic look. Like the way it feels.

2) Bersa Thunder .380 with gold accents (a.k.a. Thunder Pimp). I don't know why, but I think I like the look. Not sure how well the gold will wear after use. Also not sure if I am required to hold it sideways while firing. ;)

3) Bersa Firestorm .380 matte black with Nickel accents. Nice look - more subtle than the gold. Also this model has the rounded trigger guard and finger grips. I like the rounded trigger guard and I believe there are more holster options because if it. Not sure how the finger grips would feel because there are no dealers around me that carry a Firestorm. I suppose I could change the grips if I dont like them.

4) Bersa Firestorm .380 two tone. Same concerns as above, different look.

Are there any other things I should consider? Which would you choose?

thanks.

mitchr
01-03-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm kinda partial to black guns, although some of the two-tones look pretty sharp & I saw an all silver one the other day that I almost bought. But color is such a personal thing, hardly seems right I should suggest which color. :smile: One caution though in regard to the finger grooves. I have them on my Mini 40S&W Firestorm & on my Thunder Pro UC9 & they fit my fingers just right. I can imagine that if they didn't, shooting them could be uncomfortable & awkward. You don't want that in a SD pistol. If you can not find a Firestorm to check on it, I'd suggest you stick with the Thunder .380s. I don't think you can change the grips on the Firestorm, as you stated. I believe they do make some wrap-around rubber grips that would help, if you care for that.

Americangirl01
01-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Hello, mojodawg. Welcome to Bersa Chat...:smile:

Color is a personal preference. All of the pistols in your list share grips and there is a fairly large selection available if you desire to change the look. I own a duo-tone Bersa (Thunder .380) which sports walnut grips ( the ones with the small metal Bersa logo plate) and I own a matte version that came with the rubber wrap around grips and the fixed U outline rear sights like the Firestorm pistols have. The duo-tone is the least expensive model and it is my favorite.

I really like the rounded trigger guard on the Firestorm model, but again, all of these things are your own personal preferences. If you are like many here, you will own the others within a short amount of time anyway....:wink:. Good luck with your choice and welcome, again.

redreed
01-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but once you ride this train, there is no getting off! The BT is a great rig and once you hold it and shoot it, it will be a full time carry piece! Unless of course you are abby normal!

i like the gold one. Who cares if it wears off? And maybe it won't... i don't know, but it shore is purdy!

I have the plain jane duo-tone 380. i love it abova all others, but my S&W 642 airweight is a darn close second. (so I just carry both).

redreed
01-03-2011, 06:51 PM
A couple of additional observations if I may,....
Very safe to carry, decocker/safety for those who wish an added feature, double action trigger for revolver like action, followed by single action followup shots, a firing pin safety that blocks the firing pin when the trigger is not pulled (prevents accidental discharge if dropped), a mag safety to prevent accidental discharge if for some reason you were to remove the mag, but forgot to clear the chamber (not my favorite feature, but hey, there it is). Child proof key operated trigger lock, an extended tang to help prevent you hand getting all tangled up in the slide when firing. Easy to field strip. And easy to clean. But my favorite feature is the slide lock. That is a feature you just don't normally find on a 380 pistol. use as many or as few of these safety features as you feel comfortable using. It is a great, safe, and relible piece of fine shooting machinery! I think you are going to love it.
But the thing i like most

p-t-max
01-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Here's my first Bersa, a Thunder Pimp with the gold accents. Notice that they've gone kind of copperish. Not an issue for me, but something to consider if it's an issue for you.

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/bt380_fs22/BT380ThunderPimp014w.jpg

Another feature of the standard Thunder 380 is that the 7 round and 9 round DLX mags are interchangeable.

mojodawg
01-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks for all of the input everyone. Great information. I also found that the Thunder sights are adjustable and the Firestorm's are fixed.
Nice copper look p-t-max. Maybe in a few more years it might oxidize into a patina green!
I guess more than color or finish, my major decision is between the Thunder or Firestorm.

Reginald Carstairs
01-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Then comes the grips and you have another look. Also the duo tone .380 isn't nickle
it's anodized aluminum, no solvent cleaning problems.

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz259/Reginald_Carstairs/My%20Firearms/IMG_1571s.jpg

buckeyedave
01-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I like my guns like I like my coffee. Black.

Thunder Pimp.....I love that..... LOL

mojodawg
01-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Then comes the grips and you have another look. Also the duo tone .380 isn't nickle
it's anodized aluminum, no solvent cleaning problems.

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz259/Reginald_Carstairs/My%20Firearms/IMG_1571s.jpg

Nice wood grips. So +1 for grip options on the Thunder. I didn't even think about solvent issues with the nickel accents on choice #3. I actually thought the duo-tone was stainless steel. Anodized Aluminum is similar? Better?

pollyb
01-03-2011, 11:32 PM
I don't think you can change the grips on the Firestorm, as you stated. The finger grips on the Firestorm 380 are just the wraparound rubber grips. All grips for the Thunder 380 and Firestorm 380 are interchangeable.

mojodawg, probably be easier if you just number them in order of your first impression preference ...since you'll probably eventually get them all. BTW welcome to BC
regards jab

Pond Scum
01-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Mojo, we have the BT380 in matte and DuoTone .... and I just bought the nickel. The nickel is my favorite ... I like shiny guns and I think the nickel runs a little smoother. See page 3 for pictures and range report http://www.bersachat.com/forums/showthread.php/5518-Thunder-380-Nickel-promotion-at-Davidson-s-GunGenie/page3

mojodawg
01-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Mojo, we have the BT380 in matte and DuoTone .... and I just bought the nickel. The nickel is my favorite ... I like shiny guns and I think the nickel runs a little smoother. See page 3 for pictures and range report http://www.bersachat.com/forums/showthread.php/5518-Thunder-380-Nickel-promotion-at-Davidson-s-GunGenie/page3

All Nickel does look nice too. You just reinforced what others are saying...I will most likely buy more than one anyway! Of all the .380's I handled, I liked the weight, balance, and feel of the bersa the best. I know I will be shooting a lot at my gun club range, so I want something that will be a comfortable shoot and won't bust my chops with failures. Bersa's seem to have a good rep with reliability. An hour ago I noticed that a local dealer had a duo-tone Thunder on an auction site. I placed a bid for $210, but I doubt I will get it at that price. We'll see...

thanks again for the input everyone.

bigblock57
01-04-2011, 01:13 AM
Depends how you carry. If in pocket, then it is a little bit large for that and the back of the grip may show at times. In which case all black is better.

old salt
01-04-2011, 03:05 AM
I started with the duotone BT 380 love the sites and the way it fit’s my hand. Two months latter purchased the BT 380 Concealed Carry model. Don’t ask me way I was told on this forum that I would get the bug, I did. The CC model in also a great shooting, IWB or pocket carry gun. Now I got my eye on the 9mm UCP.

justdon
01-04-2011, 10:42 AM
P-t-max that copper look after it faded looks good to me.Kind of makes it stand out..

RCarl
01-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Thanks for all of the input everyone. Great information. I also found that the Thunder sights are adjustable and the Firestorm's are fixed.
Nice copper look p-t-max. Maybe in a few more years it might oxidize into a patina green!
I guess more than color or finish, my major decision is between the Thunder or Firestorm.

While I cannot say for sure, I'm fairly certain that the Firestorm .380 has the same adjustable sights as my Bersa .380. My Firestorm .22 duotone has the same adjustable sights. Only that as the slide is nickle, the sight dots are orange. On my black BT .380 they are white dots.

mojodawg
01-08-2011, 01:10 AM
I picked up a Thunder 380 Duotone locally. Can't wait to shoot it.
Now I just need to decide on a holster. Definately going IWB and with UBG but....Striker or Becker. Dam choices!!! Anyone have thoughts between the two?
Plan to carry mostly around the 4:00 position.

Pond Scum
01-08-2011, 01:23 AM
Plan to carry mostly around the 4:00 position.

I would lean to the Striker at the 4 O'clock. That is how I carry my BT380! Unless I swipe my wife's Phaetos for OWB carry! :smile:

Americangirl01
01-08-2011, 10:34 AM
I picked up a Thunder 380 Duotone locally. Can't wait to shoot it.
Congrats, mojodawg...:thumbs up:! Enjoy the new pistol. It seems like a good time for some cleaning, and lubing and then maybe some range time?..:wink:

mojodawg
01-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Congrats, mojodawg...:thumbs up:! Enjoy the new pistol. It seems like a good time for some cleaning, and lubing and then maybe some range time?..:wink:

I took a shower and used lotion for my dry skin...oh you mean the gun? ;) Of course. The gun is used and in great condidtion, but it wasn't very clean. I already disassembled and cleaned it thoroughly. Now it looks brand new. On second thought, I probably should have bought the brand new one for $50 more, but hey the next one can be new. We'll see how much I like it at the range.

rja
01-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Here's my first Bersa, a Thunder Pimp with the gold accents. Notice that they've gone kind of copperish. Not an issue for me, but something to consider if it's an issue for you.

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/bt380_fs22/BT380ThunderPimp014w.jpg

Another feature of the standard Thunder 380 is that the 7 round and 9 round DLX mags are interchangeable.

i like that!!

rja
01-09-2011, 07:31 AM
i shook my magic eight ball and it said i couldn't go wrong with the bt380 in black matte :)